Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Boyfriend hidden facebook? watch

Announcements

So, my boyfriend has Facebook but has never been friends with me on it which I didnt mind as he said he hasnt been on it in months and doesnt know his password.
    Today, i came across one of his work mates on my timeline and viewed their profile, and ny boyfriend has liked some of his things from recent so I went on my boyfriends messenger for it to say Active Now.
    When I confronted him he says he goes on it every few months which I dont believe, what are the odds in me checking?
    I went a little crazy then and told him to accept me NOW which he replied 'hang on' and took around 20 minutes to accept. When he did I cant see ANYTHING on his profile. Friends list, post, everything is hidden.
    I hate arguing over things such as Facebook but this is awfully suspicious? What shall I do?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    So, my boyfriend has Facebook but has never been friends with me on it which I didnt mind as he said he hasnt been on it in months and doesnt know his password.
    Today, i came across one of his work mates on my timeline and viewed their profile, and ny boyfriend has liked some of his things from recent so I went on my boyfriends messenger for it to say Active Now.
    When I confronted him he says he goes on it every few months which I dont believe, what are the odds in me checking?
    I went a little crazy then and told him to accept me NOW which he replied 'hang on' and took around 20 minutes to accept. When he did I cant see ANYTHING on his profile. Friends list, post, everything is hidden.
    I hate arguing over things such as Facebook but this is awfully suspicious? What shall I do?
    Ps, we have been together over a year.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What shall I do?
    Stop trying to snoop on his Facebook account? He has every right to his privacy if he wants and if you don't trust him for some reason that's your problem, not a justification to force him to be friends with you.

ReputationRep:
    What has he got to hide though? I’d be annoyed too so I can see where you’re coming from...

Just ask him why he’s being sneaky and hiding things from you.

Relationships don’t work like that- you need loyalty, trust and communication and without them, well you know what I mean

I would say you need to trust him and just carry on with the way things are going, but the fact he lied and said he wasn’t using it AND then hid things from you- big red flag

(Original post by Acsel)
    Stop trying to snoop on his Facebook account? He has every right to his privacy if he wants and if you don't trust him for some reason that's your problem, not a justification to force him to be friends with you.
    e has every right but not when he is trying to hide something intentionally, and in this case seems like everything from his timeline...

And what do you expect females to do, just accept men's stupid lies after they cause us to mistrust them as in OP's case by saying he's not been in months but she seeing his liking activity and then him being active on Messenger so soon after..

Would you be able to trust your gf if you see her active on Tinder again even though she had said she never goes there anymore. I know its not the same, but the gravity of FB for us might be as Tinder is to you guys.

I would say be wary, but dont make it a big issue just now.

If there is other further suspicious things and if it feels not right, then it probably isn't :/

Then you should have a discussion with him at that point and bring this up and straight ask him whats going on...just like you said here you dont want to create an issue over FB but youre finding it hard to believe him fully, and then he may acc give valid reasons as well.

ReputationRep:
    You are one crazy ass woman.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I see where you are coming from, I would be so annoyed if that was me. There difference between privacy and hiding. He has obviously hid everything from you, I would say talk to him and keep an eye on it. I have had a slightly similar problem before with my boyfriend, we have been together nearly two years now. If you would like to message me we can talk about it some more I dont mind xx
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    e has every right but not when he is trying to hide something intentionally, and in this case seems like everything from his timeline...
    Except we don't actually know that for sure? Info from the OP:

Boyfriend uses Facebook occasionally (perfectly reasonable)
    OP happened to see some recently liked posts (again perfectly reasonable, maybe boyfriend happened to be on at that time)
    Boyfriend was active on messenger (that doesn't say anything, my phone is logged into Facebook all the time so it looks like I'm always online)
    OP can't see anything on boyfriends profile (also perfectly reasonable, I personally value my privacy and use the maximum level of privacy to prevent people snooping)

We either don't have enough information or the entire premise is built on assumptions. Either way it's not correct to simply assume boyfriend is in the wrong just because their profile was hidden. For all we know, maybe the OPs boyfriend doesn't want to subject her to all the stupid crap he likes and posts.

And what do you expect females to do, just accept men's stupid lies after they cause us to mistrust them as in OP's case by saying he's not been in months but she seeing his liking activity and then him being active on Messenger so soon after..
    If you're going to make silly broad generalisations that works both ways. Why would OPs boyfriend be inclined to share information with the OP when they go "a little crazy" and demand to be friends? Simply because the OP viewed the profile of a work mate and then went to see that he was online. That's already pretty intrusive.

Would you be able to trust your gf if you see her active on Tinder again even though she had said she never goes there anymore. I know its not the same, but the gravity of FB for us might be as Tinder is to you guys.
    Considering I don't use Tinder in the first place... But that's quite a bit different. To my knowledge, Tinder is primarily a dating app. That's the only purpose it solves. Now if I saw my GF on Tinder then I'd think it a little odd. But equally for me to see her on Tinder I'd also have to be on Tinder. So it's not like I'm off the hook there. Since Tinder has one function, putting 2 and 2 together is quite straightforward. And you could still get 5 because I'm sure there are other legitimate uses.

Facebook is not comparable. It is purely a social networking app. It is not for dating and simply using Facebook doesn't imply there is something wrong, as using Tinder would. If you are treating the gravity of using Facebook on a relationship the same as the gravity of using Tinder then that's going to cause problems in a relationship.

The correct response is for the OP to have a calm discussion with their boyfriend about the concerns they have. Not go crazy and demand to be friends.

ReputationRep:
    A) you're too obsessive, forcing him to accept you on FB. Thats not healthy.

B) him keeping everything private from you is mighty suspicious.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.