Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

LSE vs Leiden for International Relations watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I have a big dilemma for my postgraduate study.

I got accepted for Leiden's MSc. International Relations and Diplomacy and also LSE's MSc. International Relations. I didn't really put much expectation on my LSE's application, but I got it.

LSE is my first choice. But the problem is, I am not sure on how to finance it. There is a graduate support scheme, but since I wasn't really sure I got accepted, I didn't fill it out when I first applied. Even if I ended up being able to secure funding from the gss, I still need to find more money to cover my living expenses in London.

On the other hand, there is Leiden. The programme will be held in their campus in the Hague, so probably it will be beneficial for my field of study and career prospect as well. There is a chance to get a full scholarship including living expenses. But that's the key word, chance. Every year around 1,000 people signed up for the scholarship, but only around 60-70 people got it. If I don't get it, the programme will be even more expensive than LSE's because it's a 2 year programme.

Any help or input will be highly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Are you a student from the EU?

As an EU student, your home student status makes Leiden very affordable even for a 2 yr degree.

GSS is a long odd, few get full support rate. Most get only a fraction of prohibitive IR fees. A friend from my course got a BSc first and got admitted to LSE MS IR, but did not get GSS and could not afford to pay fee. Even though LSE IR was her first choice, she ended up at a good and more affordable uni in Europe. Her conclusion: Applicants need to be smart AND rich to attend LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcannon)
    Are you a student from the EU?

As an EU student, your home student status makes Leiden very affordable even for a 2 yr degree.

GSS is a long odd, few get full support rate. Most get only a fraction of prohibitive IR fees. A friend from my course got a BSc first and got admitted to LSE MS IR, but did not get GSS and could not afford to pay fee. Even though LSE IR was her first choice, she ended up at a good and more affordable uni in Europe. Her conclusion: Applicants need to be smart AND rich to attend LSE.
    Sadly I'm not. I'm from Indonesia, and so my tuition at Leiden for 2 years will be around 30k.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hey, so starting from the fact that I don't know much about Leiden, I would recommend you to keep in mind the network you'd have access to in both unis. I'm an offer holder of LSE's MSc in EU Politics and am struggling to make up my mind about which uni to pick too, so I understand what you are going through.

Also bear in mind that LSE offers many opportunities to work part-time while you study. Sure, not all positions are remunerated (e.g. the Parliamentary scheme which allows you to work 1-2 days a week for an MP; think tanks...) but in London you would find plenty of jobs opportunities for NGOs or international organizations which Leiden lacks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cosimo96)
    Hey, so starting from the fact that I don't know much about Leiden, I would recommend you to keep in mind the network you'd have access to in both unis. I'm an offer holder of LSE's MSc in EU Politics and am struggling to make up my mind about which uni to pick too, so I understand what you are going through.

Also bear in mind that LSE offers many opportunities to work part-time while you study. Sure, not all positions are remunerated (e.g. the Parliamentary scheme which allows you to work 1-2 days a week for an MP; think tanks...) but in London you would find plenty of jobs opportunities for NGOs or international organizations which Leiden lacks.

Good point that London offers more opps for networking, internships and work study. I may point out that many non profits (Red Cross, Amnesty, NSPCA), media organisations and government internships are unpaid in London. London living cost is very expensive. The 1 year format is condensed.

ReputationRep:
    Leiden IR course is based in The Hague. The Hague is home to so many international and UN organisations: ICJ, ICC, OPCW, ICCT etc Plenty of opportunities to network there.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.