Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview very soon at a university and I was wondering what I should wear to it. I don't have muh money atm so wouldn't be able to afford anything expensive but, I still want to make a good first impression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ijustdontgetit)
    I have an interview very soon at a university and I was wondering what I should wear to it. I don't have muh money atm so wouldn't be able to afford anything expensive but, I still want to make a good first impression.
    You don't need to buy a brand new outfit, just dress smartly (it's better to be overdressed than too casual). Smart trousers/skirt and a blouse/shirt would fit the bill.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Heya!

First and foremost, make sure you're comfortable in what you're wearing! I don't necessarily think clothing you personally find adventurous or edgy is the way to go--unless you feel confident and comfortable in it! Be sure to try it on before you go in--I remember one time I wore a shirt that, it turns out, was way too revealing and I had to find a quick fix within a half hour!

I know this is asking about a Uni interview, but just so you know for the future, the advice is usually to dress one level up from what kind of job you're interviewing for. For example, if you're interviewing for a retail job where you're normally wearing jeans and a company tee during your shift--wear business appropriate slacks/trousers, a nice shirt tucked in (ideally with buttons), and close-toed shoes. Stay away from denim!

My go to would be something like this:
    Trousers--(x)
    Shirts--(x) (x)
    Shoes--(x)

Also--especially if you tend to get cold--I'd recommend bringing in a cardigan or also changing out a shirt for a jumper (x).

Do you have anything similar to this already? If you like, you can post some pics of things you have and then we can put something together!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelle Bieger)
    Heya!

First and foremost, make sure you're comfortable in what you're wearing! I don't necessarily think clothing you personally find adventurous or edgy is the way to go--unless you feel confident and comfortable in it! Be sure to try it on before you go in--I remember one time I wore a shirt that, it turns out, was way too revealing and I had to find a quick fix within a half hour!

I know this is asking about a Uni interview, but just so you know for the future, the advice is usually to dress one level up from what kind of job you're interviewing for. For example, if you're interviewing for a retail job where you're normally wearing jeans and a company tee during your shift--wear business appropriate slacks/trousers, a nice shirt tucked in (ideally with buttons), and close-toed shoes. Stay away from denim!

Trousers--(x)
    Shirts--(x) (x)
    Shoes--(x)

Also--especially if you tend to get cold--I'd recommend bringing in a cardigan or also changing out a shirt for a jumper (x).

Do you have anything similar to this already? If you like, you can post some pics of things you have and then we can put something together!
    Thank you so much that's a massive help, I was so worried about what to wear but, I think I have items similar to these so I'm sure I can make it work
    Again thank you so much
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thank you so much that's a massive help, I was so worried about what to wear but, I think I have items similar to these so I'm sure I can make it work
    Again thank you so much
    Awesome! Good luck then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelle Bieger)
    Heya!

Trousers--(x)
    Shirts--(x) (x)
    Shoes--(x)

Do you think black canvas shoes would be okay or too informal and casual?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Do you think black canvas shoes would be okay or too informal and casual?
    Hmm for a Uni interview, you might be able to get away with it (especially depending on the rest of the outfit--balance the canvas out with a more formal looking material on the top). Do they have laces? It would be better if they were more like this rather than this.

Make sure they're spic and span though! This will be key if you want to pull them off.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    What's the course and university?

Then look at photos of staff/students on the department web pages. That will give a good idea of what's typical.

You don't need to overdress.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.