Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I recently got an offer for E&M at Oxford

Just wondering what the workload is like, as I’m worried I won’t be able to handle it (as I take no essay subjects at A level, and so am very out of practice). I also don’t take Economics A level - will I struggle/ be behind everyone else?

Thanks
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lisatan)

Just wondering what the workload is like, as I’m worried I won’t be able to handle it (as I take no essay subjects at A level, and so am very out of practice). I also don’t take Economics A level - will I struggle/ be behind everyone else?

Thanks
    Maths is more important than economics.

Its tough but the thing about oxford is that you get a lot of support and tailored feedback. You have been through statistically the hardest bit - getting in - and the dropout rates are really quite low.

I would be prepared for hard work and ask for help if needed but try not to worry beyond that.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that the subject is known as Easy & Manageable by fellow students jealous of all the free time that E&Mers enjoy...Whilst this may not be entirely true, I do know that E&M students have social lives like anyone else.

You have also been through one of the most rigorous selection processes at Oxford and the interviewers clearly believe that you will thrive there - keep that in mind.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by PeteM01)
    I understand that the subject is known as Easy & Manageable by fellow students jealous of all the free time that E&Mers enjoy...Whilst this may not be entirely true, I do know that E&M students have social lives like anyone else.

You have also been through one of the most rigorous selection processes at Oxford and the interviewers clearly believe that you will thrive there - keep that in mind.

ln common with other degrees, you have to like studying to prosper on course but this does not preclude extra-curricular activities and the great majority of students achieve a good work-life balance.

There is a friendly rivalry between PPE and E&M. PPE-ists tend to label E&M as 'Easy and Manageable' while we have heard some E&M-ers refer to PPE as 'PP b***** E'.

Brasenose Admissions
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Lisatan)

Thanks
    Hi OP,

desvelada might be able to give you more information! They've got a 'grow your grades' blog that I'm following, all about E&M at Oxford

Edit: Link to blog
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5119488

ReputationRep:
    Hi, sorry for the really late reply, I've been ill

The workload seems like a lot when you first get here, but it really isn't that bad. They throw you in at the deep end but the feedback you get each week will be so detailed and helps incredibly in improving your work quickly. You have to put the effort in and work hard but it's not a crazy amount, you'll definitely have time to relax and do whatever else you want to do. E&M does have this reputation as being easy and manageable - I wouldn't say that was true for Michaelmas, but the later parts of the year are definitely more relaxed and we don't actually learn anything new in Trinity.

The lack of A-level economics won't be a problem at all, the course is taught from scratch and most people I've spoken to hadn't actually taken economics before. I know a few people who just did sciences and maths and they're doing great on the course. I wouldn't worry about the lack of essay subjects either, I found that there's a very Oxford style of writing essays and you'll pick it up fairly quickly. The SBS usually run a session at the start of your first term giving a guide to essay writing too.

I don't wanna ramble on too much so PM me if you have any other questions, happy to help

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.