Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I’ve got offers to study Econ & Management at Oxford and Economics at LSE, but I’m having trouble deciding between the two.
    I don’t take any essay subjects at the moment so I’m very out of practice in that respect.
    I also don’t take economics A-level so I’m worried I will struggle and lag behind everyone else (especially as I’ve heard the Oxford workload is very intensive)
    Any advice on either would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisatan)
    Hi, I’ve got offers to study Econ & Management at Oxford and Economics at LSE, but I’m having trouble deciding between the two.
    I don’t take any essay subjects at the moment so I’m very out of practice in that respect.
    I also don’t take economics A-level so I’m worried I will struggle and lag behind everyone else (especially as I’ve heard the Oxford workload is very intensive)
    Those are some great offers! I have a friend who is in the exact same situation as you with an E&M Oxford offer as well as an LSE Econ offer. In my opinion, the decision should come down to how much you want to study management. Management is a big portion of your degree at Oxford so make sure you have enough interest in the subject to study it for three years.

The workload is greater for E&M but that would be expected of a joint degree, although Oxford is more intense there is a much better support network with the tutorials, if you feel like you could spend three years chatting to your interviewers you had at your college about E&M then it's the right course for you. In terms of being able to write essays, everyone's ability to write essays improves by leaps and bounds throughout their time in university so it shouldn't be a concern, your tutors want you to succeed and they will push you into improving.

I also have an offer for E&M at Oxford so I may be biased but I would pick Oxford, even if it is more intense after the three years you may be exhausted but you will walk out knowing you've given it your all.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just ask your A Level Predictions and GCSE results and amount of extra reading done etc... as I am applying to E&M this year.

ReputationRep:
    LSE has one of the poorest student satisfaction rates for teaching in the country and one of the lowest TEF teaching quality ratings of the top unis. whereas teaching at oxbridge is unchallenged. surely a deal-breaker?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qoomz)
    Can I just ask your A Level Predictions and GCSE results and amount of extra reading done etc... as I am applying to E&M this year.
    5A*6As at GCSE, A*A*A*A predicted, further reading on development economics usual stuff like poor economics and bottom billion. Find something you’re interested in within Economics and read around it, they are looking for interest in the subject.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for this! How did you prepare for the TSA and Interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qoomz)
    Thank you so much for this! How did you prepare for the TSA and Interview?
    Tsa was only past papers and I had a few mock interviews with teachers but that was it pretty much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisatan)
    I'd go with oxford because the offer is flexible (assuming you have the standard offer). in LSE you will need A*AA with and A* in maths, and in oxford you need A*AA but the A* can be anything, so you will have more space to breath with Oxford.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.