Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys. I’m looking at a total career change, moving from financial services to construction. I have a business degree and various financial planning diplomas. I work full time, looking for advice at getting into QS / construction management. I need to look for a company/ role who take people with no qualification / experience , I am willing to learn and study part time and complete the post grad conversion course. Any idea if there are companies that provide these opportunities and study support? Also, any recommendation of where a good place to study the conversion course part time. I am based In london. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyle84)
    Hi Guys. I’m looking at a total career change, moving from financial services to construction. I have a business degree and various financial planning diplomas. I work full time, looking for advice at getting into QS / construction management. I need to look for a company/ role who take people with no qualification / experience , I am willing to learn and study part time and complete the post grad conversion course. Any idea if there are companies that provide these opportunities and study support? Also, any recommendation of where a good place to study the conversion course part time. I am based In london. Thanks
    look up degree-level apprenticeships for quantity surveying, theres quite a few

ReputationRep:
    Any body with other ideas of getting into the industry. The apprenticeships I have come across are not the highest paying. I know I will need to take a pay cut but I can’t take a 50% cut with having a family and bills.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,I was 36 when I decided to pursue the QS conversion course at LJMU. I was a temporary site secretary on a construction job through an agency, and I had thought about QS as a profession before I started with that company: I was in and out of office work as a temp the previous years and wanted a job that was in demand. Anyhow, I worked my rear off to impress as a site secretary and applied for the MSc conversion course, 3 months before it started. I had an interview with the Regional Commercial Surveyor and asked him if there was a chance of a trainee placement whilst I did my Masters full time. Lo and behold he offered me a placement at two days per week, but it did mean a 60% cut in pay. The PG Student Loan is £10,250, and my fees were £5950, so I had £4K left over to pay for bills, in addition to £6k what I was earning from my placement.I didn’t have a mortgage or kids so that was a deal breaker really. The uni you apply to might have a hardship fund for students who have commitments such as children, which you could apply for. Check with the prospective uni you are applying to. You could work 3 days a week to up your pay, and do the masters full time at two days per week, but it is hard graft doing it full time (I finish uni in May but have a summer dissertation to do).

With the commitments you have, it is a very difficult decision I don’t doubt that. You’d have to work out what your outgoings are and see if you can cover your share. How supportive is your wife? Could she contribute more whilst you do your masters? The pay off is massive if you become a QS. Or what about your parents? Could they help you out financially? Maybe a loan? Sometimes there are organisations that offer bursaries to support students who need financial support. Your uni will know all about this.

I’ve never been a numbers person, nor was I a maths genius at school. I worked in procurement for a bit in the 00s, only at junior level, but I was capable of dealing with invoices and working on spreadsheets- just not a brain box as some people are! I was appealed to the QS profession because 1. I love the construction environment (can be a laugh) and 2. I love architecture and I’m fascinated in how buildings are constructed. I’m still not sure, shall we say, that I’m enjoying the numbers side of the profession as there are some clever QSs who are a natural, but all that aside, every day is different, you meet loads of different people and it’s fascinating to understand how a building is constructed- you learn loads! I’m a little out of my depth at the moment as a trainee as it’s very overwhelming what you have to learn, especially when you work with other trainees who are a natural at it - so sometimes I do question my capability.

I’d be more than happy to just to be a Quantity Surveyor, but I’m not interested in becoming a Senior QS or Managing QS (multiple projects in a region). It’s all about the security of the job for me and having skills which are in demand - it’s a nice position to be in after years of chasing recruitment agencies who didn’t give a toss about me (I’m an experienced Administrator- but the market is saturated with them so competition is rife, very soul destroying).

If you are serious about pursuing it and have that conversation with your wife, then apply for the course and get that unconditional offer letter. Once you have it, apply to every contractor and every Surveying practice in your area there is, attaching a copy of the university offer letter asking for a Trainee QS placement for two or three days per week. Explain your background and why you wish to pursue QS. It shows you’re serious. Also, explicitly state that you are PAYING THE TUTION FEES YOURSELF, as they are more likely to offer you a placement (likely the reason I got offered mine! Lol)

If you have anymore questions, give me a shout!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.