Turn on thread page Beta

P76 - Bowel cancer screening kits to be sent out at regular intervals to adults watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thrillanthropist)
    That's debatable. Say what you want but, £74 million is a lot of money and could be invested in a way that would benefit more people and a wider range of people. The NHS needs a lot of change, reform, and privatisation.

Seriously, spending £74 million to force a large number of people to test themselves? What happened to freedom of choice? Campaigning for bowel cancer awareness is something I can agree should be done and encouraged and could be a suitable alternative to this, but if someone doesn't want to take time to get themselves checked, or simply doesn't care enough, that's their problem, not the government's.
    It’s something like 0.06% of the nhs budget.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, but it shouldn't be mandatory: if you actively do not want to test yourself for cancer that is your prerogative.

ReputationRep:
    That's debatable. Say what you want but, £74 million is a lot of money and could be invested in a way that would benefit more people and a wider range of people. The NHS needs a lot of change, reform, and privatisation.

Seriously, spending £74 million to force a large number of people to test themselves? What happened to freedom of choice? Campaigning for bowel cancer awareness is something I can agree should be done and encouraged and could be a suitable alternative to this, but if someone doesn't want to take time to get themselves checked, or simply doesn't care enough, that's their problem, not the government's.
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    I agree, but it shouldn't be mandatory: if you actively do not want to test yourself for cancer that is your prerogative.
    It becomes the government's problem when the government is made to foot the bill for expensive cancer care because bowel cancer was not discovered when in its early stages. Thought should be given to finding out why individuals do not test themselves for bowel cancer, a big reason is the embarrassment of sending faeces in the post. Making the test will remove stigma attached to sending off faeces, having a medical professional test it, and finding out the results.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jacob E)
    It becomes the government's problem when the government is made to foot the bill for expensive cancer care because bowel cancer was not discovered when in its early stages. Thought should be given to finding out why individuals do not test themselves for bowel cancer, a big reason is the embarrassment of sending faeces in the post. Making the test will remove stigma attached to sending off faeces, having a medical professional test it, and finding out the results.
    In that case, then you'd have to prove that actually spending more money, and treating more people earlier would cost less than how much the NHS spends now on treating those in the later stages because it wasn't identified.

And then if we do this for bowel cancer, what's to stop for self-test kits for other cancers? Why only bowel cancer?

ReputationRep:
    In that case, then you'd have to prove that actually spending more money, and treating more people earlier would cost less than how much the NHS spends now on treating those in the later stages because it wasn't identified.

And then if we do this for bowel cancer, what's to stop for self-test kits for other cancers? Why only bowel cancer?
    The proof is thinking about the steps involved in providing cancer treatment, in its early stages an operation with a round of chemotherapy is used, in its later stages, chemotherapy, operations, drugs to provide comfort, treatment for side effects, and more overnight hospital stays increases the cost. A lot of cancers are detected by using blood tests, cutting away tumour samples to decide if the tumour is cancerous, and checking hormone levels; things which are difficult to do at home. When things can be done at home, for example, feeling breasts or testicles for a lump, self-checks are advised by the NHS.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    That does not matter, if bowel cancer survival rates are behind the European average.
    a.) Healthcare is not a competition.

b.) Are we behind the Australian average? Since you're a fan of this comparison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    a.) Healthcare is not a competition.

b.) Are we behind the Australian average? Since you're a fan of this comparison.
    It is true that healthcare is not a competition, however, I am not happy living in a country where the healthcare system does less to help its citizens survive cancer than poorer countries who were part of the Soviet Union.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It is true that healthcare is not a competition, however, I am not happy living in a country where the healthcare system does less to help its citizens survive cancer than poorer countries who were part of the Soviet Union.
    I take it you don't have a comparison for survival rates with Australia then. Forgive me if you've already put it and I've missed it, but I can't see you providing the figure. A lower screening age would logically improve the survival rate, but I haven't seen figures in proof of that, which I'd want before supporting a £72 million funding allocation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    I take it you don't have a comparison for survival rates with Australia then. Forgive me if you've already put it and I've missed it, but I can't see you providing the figure. A lower screening age would logically improve the survival rate, but I haven't seen figures in proof of that, which I'd want before supporting a £72 million funding allocation.
    You are asking for proof of something that cannot be proved because a lot of the variables are not controlled. When the survival rates of cancer patients are examined, Australia is similar to Britain which is expected because those rates are based on the patients surviving cancer at each stage. More interesting is the prevalence of bowel cancer, in Australia bowel cancer is 58 per 100000, in Britain the level is 74 per 100000. This is because Australia takes a more active approach in the fight against bowel cancer, where Australia detects more cancers in the early stages to move the patient to remission where they are counted as being free from bowel cancer, Britain focusses its resources treating later stages of bowel cancer where patients are counted as having bowel cancer in statistics.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I support this petition; it is important that we do more than other countries to diagnose as early as is possible. Our healthcare system is becoming increasingly troubled and is entirely unsustainable, so ensuring that people do the bare minimum in cases like these is an essential measure, as it is the rest of society that will need to pay a lot more over the course of their lives. I would support going as far as to rescind people's right to healthcare free at the point of use in the areas they are at fault for, but a fine would suffice for individuals that do not have private healthcare. The money it would cost to adhere to the contents of this petition are essentially nothing in comparison to the costs of those that are selfish enough not to use the equipment given to them.

ReputationRep:
    Sure.

Aye
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I certainly agree with the seriousness of bowel cancer in the UK and recognise the call to tackle this problem. Aye

ReputationRep:
    Aye treating bowel cancer earlier will be good and cheaper in the long term as many people won't have bowel cancer which frees up resources to be used else where in the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    Is Jacob actually the OP of this petition or has the OP been deleted? If the latter, it should be considered withdrawn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Is Jacob actually the OP of this petition or has the OP been deleted? If the latter, it should be considered withdrawn.
    Jacob is the OP

ReputationRep:
    aye
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Division!

Clear the lobbies!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.