Turn on thread page Beta

Why am I being forced to learn new things in my job and advance my career? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just want to go to work do my 9-5 and come home, why are we forced to aim to advance and take on more responsibilities at work etc? wtf is the point? we should be concentrating on enjoying time with family etc. not worrying about stupid slave work! there are people out there who think they are special because they have a fancy job title, who gives a damn!? its the equivalent of being called "head slave". This whole Uni malarkey is just training to become another slave.

ReputationRep:
    But if you take more responsibilities and learn more, it is helpful for your own career progression (more money, possible promotion), benefiting you and the company you work for, who has taken the time to invest and train you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    But if you take more responsibilities and learn more, it is helpful for your own career progression (more money, possible promotion), benefiting you and the company you work for, who has taken the time to invest and train you?
    Let me take apart what you have just said piece by piece.

Firstly, the government has made it impossible to become wealthy working a 9-5, this is achieved by taxing your money and the more you earn the more tax you pay, thus keeping you as poor as possible.

Secondly you are forced to work you do not do this by choice, you would not go to work if you didn't have to, you do it because you need money to survive it is not a leisure activity so benefiting the company should not be a big concern especially when you most likely dont see any of the profits and are paid a base wage regardless of how well or how bad the company does.

ReputationRep:
    1. Because private businesses are not running a charity.

2. This country would shut down if everybody did a 9-5 job.

3. Because this is what you signed onto when you agreed to the contract of your current employer.
    Read and understand the contract better next time.

The overwhelming majority of jobs expect you to put in a degree of overtime and take on more responsibilities as time goes by.
    This is completely normal.

4. Welcome to the real world kiddo. Sorry, but did your parents really shelter you so much, that all this is such genuine a shock to your system?

5. "who think they are special because they have a fancy job title, who gives a damn!?" Oh so really, a doctor is just special because of their title? Is a policeman just special because of his title? Is a Prime Minister just special because of her title? Does it require no hard work to become an Officer in the army or a qualified Psychologist? Does it take no skill and intelligence to become a Nuclear Physicist? Do you rise up to become a top company Executive just by putting in a bare minimum amount of cosy 9-5 hours?

Get real!

If you want to get anywhere in life, you have to be willing to put in real work/effort. Putting in real work/effort will not guarantee great things, but you know what really won't?
    Sitting there and complaining when people ask you to pull your weight in the job like everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feastful)
    1. Because private businesses are not running a charity.

2. This country would shut down if everybody did a 9-5 job.

3. Because this is what you signed onto when you agreed to the contract of your current employer.
    Read and understand the contract better next time.

The overwhelming majority of jobs expect you to put in a degree of overtime and take on more responsibilities as time goes by.
    This is completely normal.

4. Welcome to the real world kiddo. Sorry, but did your parents really shelter you so much, that all this is such genuine a shock to your system?

5. "who think they are special because they have a fancy job title, who gives a damn!?" Oh so really, a doctor is just special because of their title? Is a policeman just special because of his title? Is a Prime Minister just special because of her title? Does it require no hard work to become an Officer in the army or a qualified Psychologist? Does it take no skill and intelligence to become a Nuclear Physicist? Do you rise up to become a top company Executive just by putting in a bare minimum amount of cosy 9-5 hours?

Get real!

If you want to get anywhere in life, you have to be willing to put in real work/effort. Putting in real work/effort will not guarantee great things, but you know what really won't?
    Sitting there and complaining when people ask you to pull your weight in the job like everyone else.
    You are an idiot thats all I can say, first of all your post shows you really haven't been outside Europe, there are many countries where people are not working like slaves and get to spend the majority of their life not stuck at work. Secondly being a doctor or a police man is hardly a fancy job title and I'd imagine with those types of roles there is a sense of self-satisfaction involved rather than pure financial gain, I am talking "Executive Marketing Deployment Manager UK Division" as a job title. A reform must come to the UK, if you can't realise that the UK is literally a slave labour camp you are a moron and quite simply just another bot. If people like you only ever thought "oh well thats the way it is and theres no point complaining" then we would be waaaaaay behind as a country and even planet as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Got Milk)
    You are an idiot thats all I can say, first of all your post shows you really haven't been outside Europe, there are many countries where people are not working like slaves and get to spend the majority of their life not stuck at work. Secondly being a doctor or a police man is hardly a fancy job title and I'd imagine with those types of roles there is a sense of self-satisfaction involved rather than pure financial gain, I am talking "Executive Marketing Deployment Manager UK Division" as a job title. A reform must come to the UK, if you can't realise that the UK is literally a slave labour camp you are a moron and quite simply just another bot. If people like you only ever thought "oh well thats the way it is and theres no point complaining" then we would be waaaaaay behind as a country and even planet as a whole.
    and you're a ****ing whiner. just get over it, if you don't like it you can always just quit and live on benefits
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you're happy working a basic 9-5 job for minimum wage pay for the next 50 years of your working life then that's fine, nobody is actually forcing you to advance. But the majority of people have aspirations, be it of money, power, fame, etc. The majority of people are not happy simply sitting at the bottom and want to do something worthwhile with their lives.

I'd personally be bored of a basic 9-5, low pay job and couldn't imagine doing it for any extended period of time. I worked in retail for 4 years, that was about 2 years too long. Likewise I'd be sick of never having any real money.

If you're happy being sat at the bottom of the barrel then that's fine. But if you're not actively helping society much don't expect society to be sympathetic to you. Odds are if all you did was a 9-5, low wage job for the rest of your life you'd probably take out far more from the system than you'd put in.

ReputationRep:
    If you complain this much at work, I doubt you'll ever advance your career.

ReputationRep:
    Some people see their career as a passion - they invest time and money, and want to learn more and do well in their career. If they can benefit the company they work at, it is likely that they will receive a bonus, pay rise or promotion. Within time, they could build up the skills and contacts needed to create their own company. They don't see work as a chore, they enjoy their work on the whole.

What job are you currently doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Got Milk)

LOL I have been to over a dozen different countries, and you know what? We have some of the best living standards in the world!

You clearly have no idea how hard other people have it in most of Europe and the broader world.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.