Turn on thread page Beta

P78 - Introduce automatic approval of visit visas for families of British Citizens watch

ReputationRep:
    Petition to Introduce automatic approval of visit visas for families of British Citizens.

Family members of UK Citizens shouldn’t have to meet the same criteria as other applicants for a visit visa. Not being a citizen doesn’t make our parent, siblings, children or grandchildren any less a part of our family. The only requirement should be that a British relative sponsors them. If family can support them, there is no reason to reject an application.

The same restrictions would still apply: no public funds; no ability to work, and checks to ensure no threat to national security. A lot of families are heartbroken because relatives cannot visit. Let’s bring families together and recognise the right to a family life for British citizens and their families.

So we call on the government to Introduce automatic approval of visit visas for families of British Citizens.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Interesting one. Will look forward to this being debated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Petition to Introduce automatic approval of visit visas for families of British Citizens.

Family members of UK Citizens shouldn’t have to meet the same criteria as other applicants for a visit visa. Not being a citizen doesn’t make our parent, siblings, children or grandchildren any less a part of our family. The only requirement should be that a British relative sponsors them. If family can support them, there is no reason to reject an application.

The same restrictions would still apply: no public funds; no ability to work, and checks to ensure no threat to national security. A lot of families are heartbroken because relatives cannot visit. Let’s bring families together and recognise the right to a family life for British citizens and their families.

So we call on the government to Introduce automatic approval of visit visas for families of British Citizens.
    I was thinking this could go badly wrong. Until, I read the restrictions. As long as the Visa has an expiry date, I see nothing wrong with this.

ReputationRep:
    Probably

Aye
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Nay. There's a reason why there isn't automatic approval of visas for families of British citizens because immigration officers have to check whether they meet the criteria and whether they comply with the following restrictions you've listed above and whether they pose any threat to the country. Automating visas for British citizens may sound like a good thing but it isn't if we don't put in place measures to combat potential threats to the country etc.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Normally I'd vote aye on this, but CoffeeAndPolitics makes a really good point; increases the risks and could be easily exploited. I think I'll abstain for now... unless some good debate rises which can make me sway in either direction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
    Nay. There's a reason why there isn't automatic approval of visas for families of British citizens because immigration officers have to check whether they meet the criteria and whether they comply with the following restrictions you've listed above and whether they pose any threat to the country. Automating visas for British citizens may sound like a good thing but it isn't if we don't put in place measures to combat potential threats to the country etc.
    Spot on.

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea of this but CAP raised a good point. So I'll abstain for now.

ReputationRep:
    I too have been swayed by CAP. I would like to see more argument.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I too have been swayed by CAP. I would like to see more argument.
    I'm disappointed that there has been no more argument since yesterday :/

ReputationRep:
    Nay- utter stupidity, we hand out visas like sweets on hallloween

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrwb9876)
    Nay- utter stupidity, we hand out visas like sweets on hallloween
    How is this stupid? There are some restrictions but it allows families to visit each other

ReputationRep:
    How is this stupid? There are some restrictions but it allows families to visit each other
    Because once they're in they're here to stay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrwb9876)
    Because once they're in they're here to stay.
    It’s a visit visa, not a work visa or any other type so how do you work that one out?

ReputationRep:
    It’s a visit visa, not a work visa or any other type so how do you work that one out?
    Because once they're in they find a way- claim they're a refugee, disappear, get ill, whatever it is they find a way. Immigration solicitors line the high street for a reason
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Division!

Clear the lobbies!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.