The Student Room Group

Cambridge Land Economy or LSE Economics for IB/Consulting career?

Hello,

I am caught in a dilemma choosing between Cambridge Land Economy and LSE Economics. I wish to go into Investment Banking or Management Consulting upon graduation, and from what I've read on the forums LSE Economics gives me a better chance of being hired compared to Cambridge Land Economy (please correct me if I'm wrong)?

On another note, I'm an international student; I recognise that the prospects of securing a job in London upon graduation might not be high, hence if I were to look elsewhere, such as NY, HongKong, etc. would a Cambridge Land Economy or LSE Economics degree be more favoured amongst employers in IB/MC?

I really hope those that who've been through this conundrum could share their thought process on how they arrived at their final decision.

Thank you in advance!
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
in terms of statistics, they are both neck and neck. go for what you'd prefer. land economy is slightly different to pure economics as well as the culture at Cam & LSE.

degree subject doesnt matter, more the prestigiousness of the university
Reply 3
I go to LSE and from what I can see of the Econ/Finance/Maths students there is a big culture of Investment Banking already in first year. The uni also offers a lot of career help and being right in London is an advantage with getting spring weeks and internships. LSE also has a v good reputation for jobs, esp in finance but then again Cam is academically prestigious. Would agree to choose based on which culture you'd rather live in for 3 years. (LSE is very international too, may be better as an international student?)
Reply 4
Original post by michaeltom32
Hello,

I am caught in a dilemma choosing between Cambridge Land Economy and LSE Economics. I wish to go into Investment Banking or Management Consulting upon graduation, and from what I've read on the forums LSE Economics gives me a better chance of being hired compared to Cambridge Land Economy (please correct me if I'm wrong)?

On another note, I'm an international student; I recognise that the prospects of securing a job in London upon graduation might not be high, hence if I were to look elsewhere, such as NY, HongKong, etc. would a Cambridge Land Economy or LSE Economics degree be more favoured amongst employers in IB/MC?

I really hope those that who've been through this conundrum could share their thought process on how they arrived at their final decision.

Thank you in advance!

Hi - I am answering on this thread because I had to make a very similar choice: Land Ec or an econ joint honours at LSE. I chose Land Ec in the end. There were several reasons why: social/culture, course content and teaching standards.

In terms of careers, the difference is marginal (if there is any). I think your choice should be based on where you would rather study and the course content rather than on careers. Both places will get you interviews provided you get 2.1's and have a decent application. Beyond that, it is down to your interview performance - your uni will not matter. The unis are by no means a guarantee for obtaining offers - I know people on my course/Cambridge and LSE without any spring week offers.

I am going to be biased but honestly choose Cambridge - you'll have a lot more fun and be at a uni that is really quite special in the way it does things. LSE is a good university but it doesn't have some of the things Cambridge has (regular gowned formals, collegiate system, idyllic location, student centred city, walking distance from lectures, better priced accommodation, may balls etc.). Take the Cambridge offer - this is a unique experience and opportunity that few people have.

Those are my 2 cents (albeit quite bias) but seriously in this situation, make your decision based on the course/location, not the career prospects - you will do well with either.
Original post by Neverest
I go to LSE and from what I can see of the Econ/Finance/Maths students there is a big culture of Investment Banking already in first year. The uni also offers a lot of career help and being right in London is an advantage with getting spring weeks and internships. LSE also has a v good reputation for jobs, esp in finance but then again Cam is academically prestigious. Would agree to choose based on which culture you'd rather live in for 3 years. (LSE is very international too, may be better as an international student?)

Hi thanks for your response!

Is it true that with such a big culture of IB in LSE, the competition there would be much higher compared to other universities when applying for a job at a top IB bank (since there are a huge number of LSE students gunning for these jobs)?
Original post by FTSE420
Hi - I am answering on this thread because I had to make a very similar choice: Land Ec or an econ joint honours at LSE. I chose Land Ec in the end. There were several reasons why: social/culture, course content and teaching standards.

In terms of careers, the difference is marginal (if there is any). I think your choice should be based on where you would rather study and the course content rather than on careers. Both places will get you interviews provided you get 2.1's and have a decent application. Beyond that, it is down to your interview performance - your uni will not matter. The unis are by no means a guarantee for obtaining offers - I know people on my course/Cambridge and LSE without any spring week offers.

I am going to be biased but honestly choose Cambridge - you'll have a lot more fun and be at a uni that is really quite special in the way it does things. LSE is a good university but it doesn't have some of the things Cambridge has (regular gowned formals, collegiate system, idyllic location, student centred city, walking distance from lectures, better priced accommodation, may balls etc.). Take the Cambridge offer - this is a unique experience and opportunity that few people have.

Those are my 2 cents (albeit quite bias) but seriously in this situation, make your decision based on the course/location, not the career prospects - you will do well with either.

Hi thanks for your reply!

Definitely course and location matters, which brings me to the point of LandEc being less quantitative than an Econs degree -- will it disadvantage me during application to IBs as I understand that the field is extremely quant-based?
Reply 7
Hi thanks for your reply!

Definitely course and location matters, which brings me to the point of LandEc being less quantitative than an Econs degree -- will it disadvantage me during application to IBs as I understand that the field is extremely quant-based?

I think you are overthinking it. You really ought to stop thinking about which course is best for IB, you want to think about which course is best for you and what you will enjoy the most. Leave IB aside for now - it is irrelevant. Assuming you take applications seriously, I believe you will get an offer somewhere. Although, that being said, I personally think Cambridge has an advantage, especially for getting spring weeks. Literally everyone at LSE wants to get into IB and everybody applies to SWs so you have to be really quite unique to stand out from the university cohort. On the other hand, Cambridge has far fewer IB applicants at the earlier stages. Therefore, by applying from Cambridge with Land Ec, you are more unique and will stand out in the screening stages. I have seen this happen - I know some people from LSE with objectively good applications (but probably pretty standard applications for their LSE cohort) receiving very few interviews, whereas those from Cambridge with objectively average applications (by IB standard) receiving many more interviews.

Overall, I would recommend that you visit the unis again and try to reach out to other students and these unis studying these courses to ask them about what they actually do. Then try to make a decision informed about what you like the sound of rather than what will get you into IB. Feel free to PM me about the course.
Reply 8
Hi thanks for your response!

Is it true that with such a big culture of IB in LSE, the competition there would be much higher compared to other universities when applying for a job at a top IB bank (since there are a huge number of LSE students gunning for these jobs)?

Hey, While there is competition I don't think it disadvantages you as I have seen people helping eachother on their applications (which I wouldn't have expected when coming to LSE based on stereotypes, but it seems to happen quite a lot). Some people do know loads about IB and with the exception of a few are willing to share that knowledge. Then it comes down to your own skills in your application and interviews, but that would be the case anywhere. I do think you shouldn't pick a uni solely based on what gives you the highest internship chances. Someone said 'literally' everyone applies for SW here which is not true - while there are enough other interested people that you wouldn't be the only one to care about careers, there are many people who are here just to enjoy their time in London. Take location into consideration too but definitely visit the universities and see which vibe suits you best.
Hello,

Thank you in advance!

There are absolutely 0 differences between these two choices. Banks and consulting firms really don't care about your subject provided it's at a good uni.

Internationally, again, we're talking about the top tier of British universities - it's moot.

What you should consider is Cambridge vs LSE - that is London vs collegiate system, supervisions vs lectures/examples classes, nightlife, course content.

Posted from TSR Mobile
whichever is easier
BUMP
BUMP

Lol we told you that it makes no difference. Go for the one you like the most and where you would best fit.
You're really overthinking it. Think about the following:
- Both places will land you interviews assuming your profile (CV, cover letter, networking) are reasonably robust
- If you're into living in a big city or you think London is for you, go to LSE
- If you want cheaper (and better accommodation) go to Cambridge
- If you want to be in a collegiate environment go to Cambridge
- If you want to be in a smaller city (much smaller) and are up for going to May Balls, gowned formals and being in a much more traditional university then go to Cambridge
- If you really like the mechanics and mathematical aspects of Economics then decide on LSE
- If you like looking at some mechanics and a little bit of the mathematical aspects of Economics and are up for looking at new subjects like Law (Constitutional, Contract, Property) and the way in which economics plays a part in development, real estate, inequality then choose Land Economy
- If you want better teaching, go to Cambridge
- If you want to go into consulting, I think Cambridge would be marginally better
- Satisfaction also seems to be much better at Cambridge
- There are about a 1000 more things to consider but those are the main ones.

Finally, also think about where you achieve the better grades/what will be easier - you want to make sure you're getting solid 2.1's or firsts to be competitive.

Quick Reply

Latest