Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got an offer to read for a PGCE and am desperate to have college accommodation.

The problem I'm having is the department for education is keen for us to bring cars so that we can drive to placement schools which may be a way out of the city centre, but no colleges seem to have parking!

Anyone know of any colleges that offer parking for students?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Difficult question. Most colleges will have absolutely nothing available on-site - that's just Oxford for you really. You might be lucky with the more out-of-town colleges, not sure. Many colleges do have off-site accommodation though that is more likely ot have parking available for students to use.

It will be a case of contacting colleges I'm afraid. Explain your situation and they should be willing to try to help.

ReputationRep:
    I would second what @nexttime has already said. I know that my own college in the centre of town does not have any parking and I think all in the centre of town tend not to have any parking spots.
    However, I would also say that as a postgrad, you might not be accommodated on the main site anyway and college annexes or flats are more likely to have parking spots than main sites of colleges. Especially as it seems to be some kind of requirement from your department, I would imagine that colleges would try to arrange something so that you would be somewhere where you can park your car. That might very likely not be in the city centre but as Oxford is small, you won't be too far away either. Also, just a guess but grad-only colleges might be more used to this as they only have graduate students and those will be the ones who will want parking, it is not really something undergrads need.
    But yes, the only way to be sure is to contact colleges and ask them about it. I am sure, most will try to find you a place where you can park your car.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.