Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The environment is constantly changing. Suggest why having offspring which are not all exactly the same is an advantage
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Imagine this:

I’m a rabbit breeder and make money from breeding healthy rabbits (weird analogy but stay with me):

I have 4 rabbits
    All of the rabbits can get sick and die from Disesase A.
    Unfortunely, Disease A infects all 4 of my rabbits and they all die, I make no money.
    This is due to there being a low level of genetic variation, all of the rabbits are not immune to Disease A.

So, I change the mother rabbit’s breeding partner and she has another 4 baby rabbits
    However, 2 of the 4 of these baby rabbits (due to the introduction of the new father’s genes) are now immune to Disease A.
    This means there is “genetic variation” between the 4 rabbits as 2 of them ARE IMMUNE to Disease A and 2 rabbits ARENT IMMUNE to Disease A
    This time, when Disease A infects the rabbits, I only lose 2 of them and can still sell the other 2 healthy rabbits.

Weird analogy over, the main points being:

• Having a high degree of genetic variation (biodiversity) that not all of the organisms will die from an infection or disease
    • This means healthy organism can go on reproduce, carrying the “healthy genes” on to their offspring
    • This leads to the species being able to survive

Please tell me if this makes no sense, I have weird ways of thinking about these things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamerz11)
    Imagine this:

I’m a rabbit breeder and make money from breeding healthy rabbits (weird analogy but stay with me):

I have 4 rabbits
    All of the rabbits can get sick and die from Disesase A.
    Unfortunely, Disease A infects all 4 of my rabbits and they all die, I make no money.
    This is due to there being a low level of genetic variation, all of the rabbits are not immune to Disease A.

So, I change the mother rabbit’s breeding partner and she has another 4 baby rabbits
    However, 2 of the 4 of these baby rabbits (due to the introduction of the new father’s genes) are now immune to Disease A.
    This means there is “genetic variation” between the 4 rabbits as 2 of them ARE IMMUNE to Disease A and 2 rabbits ARENT IMMUNE to Disease A
    This time, when Disease A infects the rabbits, I only lose 2 of them and can still sell the other 2 healthy rabbits.

Weird analogy over, the main points being:

• Having a high degree of genetic variation (biodiversity) that not all of the organisms will die from an infection or disease
    • This means healthy organism can go on reproduce, carrying the “healthy genes” on to their offspring
    • This leads to the species being able to survive

Please tell me if this makes no sense, I have weird ways of thinking about these things.
    I understand the science behind it but I must say that the rabbit analogy doesn’t really make sense😂

ReputationRep:
    Basically, if you have low levels of genetic variation, there’s more likely to be disease that can kill all the organisms in that area or all the organisms dying from a sudden environmental change. That’s why having lots of different genes increases the chance of immunity to certain diseases or sudden changes in the environment.

(Without going into another weird rabbit analogy)

For example,

If a habitat gets hotter by 10 degrees Celsius suddenly, this may kill all the organisms living in it as they all have the same genes that cope with temperature.

If 1 or 2 of these organisms have random mutations or have a little bit of variation in the genes for coping with temperature change they’re going to survive.

So, if there’s a sudden change in the environment, you want a high degree of variation as this increases the chance of the organisms being able to adapt to the change and carry on living in the environment.

Does this make a little more sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamerz11)
    Basically, if you have low levels of genetic variation, there’s more likely to be disease that can kill all the organisms in that area or all the organisms dying from a sudden environmental change. That’s why having lots of different genes increases the chance of immunity to certain diseases or sudden changes in the environment.

(Without going into another weird rabbit analogy)

For example,

If a habitat gets hotter by 10 degrees Celsius suddenly, this may kill all the organisms living in it as they all have the same genes that cope with temperature.

If 1 or 2 of these organisms have random mutations or have a little bit of variation in the genes for coping with temperature change they’re going to survive.

So, if there’s a sudden change in the environment, you want a high degree of variation as this increases the chance of the organisms being able to adapt to the change and carry on living in the environment.

Does this make a little more sense?
    Yes it does thank you!

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.