The Student Room Group

Is Sexual orientation a choice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thatthat
what is “straight”?
what is “gay”?
these labels and categories are wholly a product of society, do you think any other species categorises themselves in such a way?

we're all different and unique in our own way, as cliché as I know that sounds. but relationship and attraction is more than just “sex”, so in that sense, our “sexuality” is broader than just who we are turned on by.

I know I'm “gay”, in the sense that I am sexually attracted to the same sex. but that's not to say that I haven't felt deeper, stronger emotions for that of the opposite sex. as much as we don't want to think it is, sexuality and friendship are inextricably linked. we just choose to differentiate between the two and compartmentalise ourselves just to create some sort of “order” and reinforce an age old system of hierarchy, as macklemore once said, gay is a word “synonymous with the lesser” - and why is that? because we created it ourselves!

so in this respect, yes, sexuality is a choice. but a choice of society as a whole, who choose to commit labels to each citizen, who choose to make the assumption that we're all “straight”, and who choose to reinforce an archaic, outdated and ultimately false ideology which stems from years of ignorance.

sexuality, sex, friendship, family, love, and attraction - these aren't individual feelings or ideas, they are as natural and unique as the very DNA which has made you.

life - it really isn't a “one size fits all”

Your really amazing, my respect for you has grown wholly 🙃 (but yeh I completely agree)
Original post by ByEeek

Personally I would disagree. As a straight man, I have never even considered being gay. It doesn't appeal in the slightest. I get turned on by women, not men. Similarly, all of my gay friends knew from a very young age they were gay. They just weren't attracted to the opposite sex. They don't get turned on by the opposite sex.

At a very young age yes possibly at the the age of puberty.
Lifestyle and environment has a massive impact on your sexual orientation. Therefore if someone who was brought up in a very female household they would more likely see more attraction from the opposite sex and don't get me wrong this isn't the same for everyone.

Let me put it into perspective if I was a young kid and I was taught that being straight was normal and being gay was a sin and that was repeated to me everyday of my life, I would most likely become a straight man.

So the point of environment and lifestyle does have a big role for the majority of people. It may not be a choice but you can argue both ways.
Reply 42
Original post by CoolCavy
If lifestyle did affect it that doesnt make it a choice so idk why you are treating it as two separate binaries. If someone grows up with bad lung function because they happen to live in a polluted area that isnt a choice on their part. Lots of things happen in life that people cant control and which affect everything from physical and mental health.
Idk if the way someone lives or is brought up affects it or if it is genetic. Tbh i think it is an irrelevant point anyway as life conditions dont = choice (therefore 'bad' because that is what people insinuate) and genetics dont = no choice ('good' because it's not their 'fault':wink:
I did not choose to be gay just as you did not choose to be straight. They are both sexual orientations and to suggest that you can not choose one but choose the other is illogical.

Well it's not like being straight isnt a biological imperative and all...
Original post by The PoliticalGuy

Let me put it into perspective if I was a young kid and I was taught that being straight was normal and being gay was a sin and that was repeated to me everyday of my life, I would most likely become a straight man.

But this doesn't stack up with reality. Many gay men have lived heterosexual lives. Not because that is what they wanted to do, but because society told them that was what they had to do. And thankfully in this age of enlightenment they have been able to reject that and do what they have felt all along.

Similarly, my dad, who is transgender has always felt that way. But it is only in the last 15 years that she has felt empowered to come out and be the person she feels.

You seem to be suggesting that you can teach people to be straight or gay. So why are you straight? Because someone taught you to get a hard on when you see an attractive woman or because that is just how you react naturally?
It is not your choice about your sexuality. Scientific studies have shown that the brain of a homosexual man is more similar to the brain of a heterosexual woman and visa versa. I will also add that male and female brains are different.
Reply 45
Original post by Unkilled
It is not your choice about your sexuality. Scientific studies have shown that the brain of a homosexual man is more similar to the brain of a heterosexual woman and visa versa. I will also add that male and female brains are different.

Those studies showed that these differences only start to develop at the ages of about 5/6 which means you can't know if it's biological or the cause of differences in socialization between boys and girls.

Also these differences between brains are not huge. Women simply tend to have more connections between the left and right hemisphere where as men have more connections within each hemisphere. It's been speculated about what this means, usually concluding that women are better at multitasking and men better at concentrating one one thing. Although this is simply speculation based on the findings. And obviously does not apply in every case, some women have more connections within each hemisphere and vice versa.

Suggesting that homosexual brains = more like hetero women = homosexual because more like hetero women is false
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 46
i sexually identify as egg69 loooooooooooooooooooooooooooolll ky
Original post by G.Y
Those studies showed that these differences only start to develop at the ages of about 5/6 which means you can't know if it's biological or the cause of differences in socialization between boys and girls.

I would be willing to bet that its biological. And if sexuality is a choice, is it moral to be gay or straight?
Reply 48
Original post by Unkilled
I would be willing to bet that its biological. And if sexuality is a choice, is it moral to be gay or straight?

Lol sorry I'm not willing to go on your "bet". It's not a choice, but can be influenced SUBCONSCIOUSLY through environment. Not a CONSCIOUS choice however.
It's moral to be whatever you are (in terms of sexuality, not a murderer of course).
Hetronormity is a thing, so people might choose to not say that they’re straight, or that they are. Lifestyle like religion or homophobia within families will have an affect and so will where they live
If you are straight, Did you choose to be Straight?
If you are gay or bi, Did you choose to be that?

The new study from a team led by at North Shore University, Illinois, looked at DNA from 1,077 gay and 1,231 straight men. They analyzed each subject’s entire genome, searching for single-letter variations in DNA sequences and they found two similar gay genes on most of the test recipients.

This ground-breaking study may prove that Gay people are indeed born gay and straight people are indeed born straight and sexual orientation is not a choice.

I personally believe you choose to be what you want, straight, bi or gay.

http://bigthink.com/robby-berman/scientists-link-2-genes-to-homosexuality-in-menhttp://bigthink.com/robby-berman/scientists-link-2-genes-to-homosexuality-in-men

What about asexual people everyone always forgot about them

The new study from a team led by at North Shore University, Illinois, looked at DNA from 1,077 gay and 1,231 straight men. They analyzed each subject’s entire genome, searching for single-letter variations in DNA sequences and they found two similar gay genes on most of the test recipients.

This ground-breaking study may prove that Gay people are indeed born gay and straight people are indeed born straight and sexual orientation is not a choice.

http://bigthink.com/robby-berman/scientists-link-2-genes-to-homosexuality-in-menhttp://bigthink.com/robby-berman/scientists-link-2-genes-to-homosexuality-in-men

If it was choice then why would people commit suicide after being bullied for being gay? Nowadays homophobia is less common and people are more accepting of gay people. However, even 6-7 years ago, there were kids in my neighbourhood and school that were being physically and emotionally abused for being gay...

I think if you could choose your sexual preference then wouldn't you decide to be straight instead of killing yourself/subjecting yourself to abuse?

Therefore, I think it is at least mostly genetic. However the environment can influence it in some way that humans still don't understand. For example, height roughly 80% genetic but the environment control 20% of it. I think sexual orientation may be similar.

Long story short: your sexual preference is not something you can control.
None of the gay people I knew chose to be gay. It probably is a combination of genetics and environmental factors, but that doesn't mean that it's a choice. You didn't choose to be attracted to women presumably and people don't choose to be attracted to hairy men or blonde hair - it just is what it is.

I also hate the term "gay lifestyle". Gay people are infinitely different and that phrase makes all gay people seem sordid and dirty; like they were dirty people, so they chose to be gay.

It doesn't matter what you believe.If you believe the sun is a giant tomato it still doesn't change the fact that its a star.If science says its genetic then its genetic regardless of what you or anybody-else believes.And even if it were a choice you still have yet to explain why its wrong? Nobody seems to be able to come up with a better explanation than a 2000 year old game of chinese whispers which may or may not have been started by a bearded sky fairy.If that's your best explanation then you should keep silent and let smarter people do the talking and the thinking.
Sexuality in genes is more like probability that certainty you can predict with probability the likelihood they will be gay but you can't tell for definite.
Reply 55
It’s not a choice. If it was why on earth would people choose to be gay/bi in places where it’s still illegal? Places you can be killed for it? Even in places where you’re protected by law, you’re still risking social isolation and even being cut off from your family. People don’t choose that. My uncle is gay, and when he was younger he repressed it because he thought it was wrong - 2 failed marriages to women later, he realised he wasn’t going to change. He’s much happier now he’s accepting himself.

Tl;dr not a choice.
Original post by 12haywardJ
I believe its a choice because you don't have to be in a relationship and could actually live a life single although occasionally a stick may point up however nothing is making you go up to him/her as it is entirely your choice.

To be honest, I don't like the word gay or lesbian or bi or straight because in a sense that word separates beings into different categories. Which that leaves me to say, how do you know you're truly this sexual orientation when there could be that individual who I or you may admire that makes my or your main attraction to change. I believe there is always that one person to change our minds and which is why I don't admit the 'G' word because again, there may be that one person. No one is truly anything unless you, yourself accept it and therefore I believe it is a choice.

Overall my preference is that I like men in the sexual way and wish to be with one when I grow up and can grow with and that is my personal choice. Just like 'straight' individual where they hope to be with a woman.

But being gay isn't about whether You're in a relationship or not.Its all about attraction.Even if you were single your entire life if you are attracted to men You're gay.Its about who turns your head when they walk past.Its not to do with having a relationship or not.Its what goes on in your head that makes you gay or straight.Straight people don't have to have sex with a woman to know that they'd like to do so.
From an evolutionary perspective, it would not make sense for sexuality to be a choice.
Original post by Robby2312
But being gay isn't about whether You're in a relationship or not.Its all about attraction.Even if you were single your entire life if you are attracted to men You're gay.Its about who turns your head when they walk past.Its not to do with having a relationship or not.Its what goes on in your head that makes you gay or straight.Straight people don't have to have sex with a woman to know that they'd like to do so.

It’s not just about relationship I also mentioned how there is the odd chance someone will change your mind. I don’t believe everyone is specifically attracted to one type of requirement even though I have not met my match to show I can be with a girl. However, I just can’t deny the possibilities and I’m not saying I am ashamed, I don’t like being or told that there is one route, when really there are multiple. It is also important to note I don’t believe anyone is 100% like I may have conveyed: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.womenshealthmag.com/sex-and-love/women-no-sexual-orientation%3famp
And another study: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/3e75b380-f622-4345-a383-4f948fc1013c
I believe sexuality has only been created by society to describe general differences which is why I believe it is a choice. Repulsing the idea that it is a choice is most likely going to be the reason why you won’t go out with anyone other then what you sexually identify as. The idea i think of and some others also backfire to me to some extent because others could classify me as gay, and that I am unable to answer. Anyone else can answer that for me but as I said before the most I can come up with is that I haven’t quite met the kind of women but there is always that chance.
Its not a lifestyle, its not a choice. Im not even sure who i like yet, but i damn sure know that its not a choice because if anything, my life is harder because i might like girls

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending