Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is Sexual orientation a choice? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robby2312)
    But being gay isn't about whether You're in a relationship or not.Its all about attraction.Even if you were single your entire life if you are attracted to men You're gay.Its about who turns your head when they walk past.Its not to do with having a relationship or not.Its what goes on in your head that makes you gay or straight.Straight people don't have to have sex with a woman to know that they'd like to do so.
    It’s not just about relationship I also mentioned how there is the odd chance someone will change your mind. I don’t believe everyone is specifically attracted to one type of requirement even though I have not met my match to show I can be with a girl. However, I just can’t deny the possibilities and I’m not saying I am ashamed, I don’t like being or told that there is one route, when really there are multiple. It is also important to note I don’t believe anyone is 100% like I may have conveyed: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.w...entation%3famp
    And another study: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/articl...3-4f948fc1013c
    I believe sexuality has only been created by society to describe general differences which is why I believe it is a choice. Repulsing the idea that it is a choice is most likely going to be the reason why you won’t go out with anyone other then what you sexually identify as. The idea i think of and some others also backfire to me to some extent because others could classify me as gay, and that I am unable to answer. Anyone else can answer that for me but as I said before the most I can come up with is that I haven’t quite met the kind of women but there is always that chance.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Its not a lifestyle, its not a choice. Im not even sure who i like yet, but i damn sure know that its not a choice because if anything, my life is harder because i might like girls

ReputationRep:
    So is the same true of paedophiles? Are they born like that, set for life and had no choice in the matter?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... Kind of stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Being sexually attracted to someone is not a choice. you don't get to choose who you fall in love with either.

But I believe by labelling yourselves in a particular way it has an implication on your actions and how you perceive others I.e. whether you're attracted to them or not solely based on their gender.

It's part of the self fulfilling prophecy. You act according to the label.

I'm a female and I'm attracted to other females as well as guys (more so women) but I wouldn't label myself based on my sexuality because I believe it would influence me when choosing a partner. For example, in my current situation, because I'm more attracted to women, I wouldn't only see women as potential partners because I haven't labelled myself as being a lesbian.

If I was to label myself as being a lesbian, I would start to believe that I can only go out with women and men aren't something that I'm interested in..

However, society likes to categorise things hence why when you don't completely fit in to either "lesbian/gay" or "straight", there is the "category" of being "bisexual".

This is just my view. I don't like the idea of labelling but I definitely believe you cannot choose who you are attracted to.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.