Turn on thread page Beta

How can I make my uni room feel more homely? watch

ReputationRep:
    Not entirely sure where to post this, sorry...

Basically, the title says it all. The main issue I have is that I have to move everything out of my room each term so I don't want anything that is huge (I have to fit all my stuff in one relatively small car) or that takes forever to put up and take down, e.g. a big wall of pictures.

I currently have blankets, fairy lights, cushions, lamps, a couple of pictures, reed diffuser. I'm probably going to get a plant, one that doesn't require much maintenance :lol:

With regards to my room, it's not massive but a decent size. I have a huge desk and lots of shelf space above it. I also have this huge pinboard that is L-shaped and pretty much empty at the moment. I don't have that much wall space (I have three big windows) and my bed is kind of shoved in a small corner, so I'm not sure I'd have space for a rug near it. I have lots of windowsills to put things on. My room is painted a very pale blue.

I'd really like ideas of what to put on the pinboard and on my shelves/windowsills.

All suggestions welcome, thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by issyatuni)

Basically, the title says it all. The main issue I have is that I have to move everything out of my room each term so I don't want anything that is huge (I have to fit all my stuff in one relatively small car) or that takes forever to put up and take down, e.g. a big wall of pictures.

I currently have blankets, fairy lights, cushions, lamps, a couple of pictures, reed diffuser. I'm probably going to get a plant, one that doesn't require much maintenance :lol:

With regards to my room, it's not massive but a decent size. I have a huge desk and lots of shelf space above it. I also have this huge pinboard that is L-shaped and pretty much empty at the moment. I don't have that much wall space (I have three big windows) and my bed is kind of shoved in a small corner, so I'm not sure I'd have space for a rug near it. I have lots of windowsills to put things on. My room is painted a very pale blue.

I'd really like ideas of what to put on the pinboard and on my shelves/windowsills.

Take a picture!

Add a fireplace
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by issyatuni)

Decorate the wall with some photos and other meaningful stuff. Get something soft like a nice blanket or stuffed animal. Add something scented to make it smell nice. Get a couple of little things to put on your desk or by the window. If there's anything you're into like a hobby put some of that sort of stuff in. Maybe some sun catchers or something by the window.
    Walls and bed are a huge part of the decor of a uni room so start there.

In my uni room I had a big pin board which I covered in black felt with coloured ribbon going down it then pinned photos to the ribbon. It was nice cos it was something I made and had pictures that were special to me. I'm a big fan of cute soft stuff too so I had my bedding from home, a nice fluffy blanket and some stuffed animals.
    I also plugged in one of those scent things (which in hindsight was really strong for such a small room). My desk had a couple of drawings and other tat.

Hope that helps and your room feels more homely soon.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you want a big photo collage you can make one on a large piece of paper and then just take the paper up and down?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Decorate the wall with some photos and other meaningful stuff. Get something soft like a nice blanket or stuffed animal. Add something scented to make it smell nice. Get a couple of little things to put on your desk or by the window. If there's anything you're into like a hobby put some of that sort of stuff in. Maybe some sun catchers or something by the window.
    Walls and bed are a huge part of the decor of a uni room so start there.

In my uni room I had a big pin board which I covered in black felt with coloured ribbon going down it then pinned photos to the ribbon. It was nice cos it was something I made and had pictures that were special to me. I'm a big fan of cute soft stuff too so I had my bedding from home, a nice fluffy blanket and some stuffed animals.
    I also plugged in one of those scent things (which in hindsight was really strong for such a small room). My desk had a couple of drawings and other tat.

Hope that helps and your room feels more homely soon.
    Thanks for all the suggestions - I think stuffed animals are definitely something I'm going to have to get!

(Original post by doodle_333)
    If you want a big photo collage you can make one on a large piece of paper and then just take the paper up and down?
    I never even thought of this thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I have Buddhist **** everywhere in mine, I take some of it with me when I go on holiday etc. and put it in whatever room I'm bunking in. Small reminders.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Personally I’d pee on the carpet to mark my territory.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    stick stuff on your notice board? first thing i did when i got into my uni room was stick my pride flag on my noticeboard got it from when me and my mum went to pride together and reminds me of her.
    Teddies can also help, i have 3 on the windowsill and one on my bed
    You could also put ornaments or something on your desk or cupboards? i dont personally but ive been in one of my housemates room and they have
    just make it your own space :hugs:

Get some posters and pin them on your board, they're easier to take down than a bunch of photos and add more character to your room. Or stick them on your walls if you're allowed.
    Plants completely change a room, I have two and they make it look so homely and like a family home bedroom. Hanging plants work really well on shelves e.g. http://idolza.com/a/f/m/make-simple-...retractabl.jpg
    You can always spruce things up with some new bedding, I think darker colours make a room look smarter and more sophisticated. Most people seem to go for light pinks and light blues but I think it makes uni rooms look dirtier.
    One of the best things I bought was colour changing lights. Either a strip of led lights that you can stick somewhere, or you can just buy some led colour changing fairy lights. They come with a remote control and you can choose any colour you like and it completely changes the vibe of the room.
    Little trinket bowls can also add a lot of character and be used to store jewellery and other small bits.
    I wouldn't go overboard though because it just makes things difficult when moving out.

ReputationRep:
    kick everyone out and and invite your grandma to move in ..."
    and you'll be goof for a while 😊👵🙇
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.