Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I drop an A2 subject and take an AS? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So hear me out:

I've always been more of an essay-writer, in fact it's all I'm really good at when it comes to education. In my AS levels I managed to get AAC (English, History and Biology respectively) with almost 100 UMS in History & English but just barely scraping a C in Biology. Come A2 and I'm doing really well in both English and History, in both my mocks I managed to get an A* whereas in Bio I just scraped a C (again). I really think I'm an A* student who is capable of at least 2 A*'s however I know Biology would drag me down, at best I could probably achieve a B - with luck. I've been contemplating dropping Biology and picking up an AS subject instead, such as Economics or Politics, as I know I would succeed much more in those two rather than Biology.

The only problem I have about doing so is that I'm not sure where it would lead me when it comes to university options. I'm currently holding an offer from Warwick/King's College for History (AAA) but I'm not quite sure I'd be able to meet those requirements given my failure to get my head around Biology. Instead I've been contemplating sitting my A2 History & English exams this year, as well as an AS, and then doing that AS as an A2 next year. By doing that I'd also be taking a gap year and be applying to universities with 2 completed A levels and one predicted. I was wondering how universities would take this? Would they see it in a negative light or?

Thank you, any advice is much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I feel as if I should also add that my revision is largely Biology. I'm pretty much pushing English & History to the side with minimal revision compared to Biology which - in my opinion - isn't exactly healthy. I'm still just so far behind on where I should be in Biology; I've done the maths and it looks as if I'll be done with the whole course (as in notes, flashcards etc.) by the start of June - just before my exam on the 8th, which doesn't exactly fill me with joy.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=NAV_METROBOOMIN;75946890]So hear me out:

I've always been more of an essay-writer, in fact it's all I'm really good at when it comes to education. In my AS levels I managed to get AAC (English, History and Biology respectively) with almost 100 UMS in History

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a good plan so far in regards to picking up an AS subject you know you'll be much better at.
    Make sure you ring up the universities that you're looking at applying to after your gap year and ask whether doing this would affect your chances of getting in as different unis may look at it differently - hopefully it should be fine, especially as it seems like you've given this a lot of thought and it seems like a logical plan.
    Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a good idea and one that you're sure of, it is a bit late in the year though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    You will need 3 A-levels to get into a decent uni for History. If you complete Biology and get A*A*C or perhaps even A*AC then that might be enough to get in this year.

One fact which might interest you is that I have seen two separate threads on here where applicants to KCL for other courses have been rejected but instead offered History instead. That implies that their History department is not inundated with strong candidates this year. As a result, they might be lenient come results day.

If that doesn't work, you could try taking a third full A-level in one year for 2019 entry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.