Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Getting into Consultancy from Finance? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I currently work for one of the UKs leading advertising firms in Finance.

I've been here for over 2 years and realised that sitting behind a computer and doing accounting is not what I want to do for the next 40 years of my life.

I've been trying to get into Consultancy as my long term career, what advice could you provide to help me try and get into this field?

I've tried some Graduate schemes, however some of the numerical tests are insanely difficult therefore I'm not sure if there are other alternatives to try and get within this field?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Not really aware of the other options that would be available for you other than graduates schemes. I would guess that doing master/MBA would make it easier to get into consulting.
    Numerical tests are made to be difficult, and most of the recruitment processes will require some. I would highly recommend practicing them anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If you’re working in marketing grad schemes are the only way, if finance M&A/transaction work would be useful and would put you in good stead to join an MC/SC firm as a senior associate in ~2 years with relative ease

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xtrembob)
    Not really aware of the other options that would be available for you other than graduates schemes. I would guess that doing master/MBA would make it easier to get into consulting.
    Numerical tests are made to be difficult, and most of the recruitment processes will require some. I would highly recommend practicing them anyway.
    Do you know where I will be able to access some of the practice numerical tests, you mentioned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Nutter)
    Do you know where I will be able to access some of the practice numerical tests, you mentioned?
    Job test prep, assessment day, just google around for others
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.