Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    how do I do bio, biochemistry/biotechnology/biomedical sciences without chemistry a level, I don't meet the entry requirements to do that degree, and certainly not at any Russell group uni
    earlier I chose English lit, history, psychology and biology a levels, and now I'm enjoying biology and better at it than all the other humanities and thought I wanted to study law
    Ive seen some of the 1-year degrees but I don't think any Russel groups or oxbridge do them
    what should I doooooo??
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Try talking to ur school abt doing chemistry or try doing chemistry privately
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dishani2000)
    Try talking to ur school abt doing chemistry or try doing chemistry privately
    I would of thought that it is way too late in the year to start a completely new a level, and I would have to drop a subject (most likely the English or history), but I am also quite skeptical about doing chemistry and falling behind, any advice, I am a mess I know

ReputationRep:
    If u really wanna do biochem then I would take a gap year to do chemistry, but I think u should get advice from your teacher first tho
    Good luck tho
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You definitely wont be able to do biochemistry, without a foundation year or chemistry at A level. Apart from that you should be able to apply to at least some bio/biotechnology/biomedical science courses, even at Russel group uni's. Some of these may actually accept psychology as a second science related subject. Personally, I didn't do chemistry at A-Level and managed to get a place at the University of Leeds for Biotechnology (where my A-level in geography counted as a second science related subject).
    Look around as there are a few courses which you could still be eligible for (grade dependant obviously) and contact any universities if you are unsure of their entry requirements.

However I would recommend reading up on chemistry over the summer holidays, if you want to go down that road, as it makes life a LOT easier.

ReputationRep:
    I just checked the entrance requirements for Oxford, and you are right that you can't apply for Biochemistry or Biomedical Sciences without chemistry A-level. However, I think that three A-levels including Biology and Psychology are sufficient for you to apply for "Biological Sciences" at Oxford, without needing a chemistry A-level. I believe that the course is a combination of Zoology and Plant Sciences. Here is the a link to the course. (Please note that I have no first hand knowledge of the course, I'm just basing this on the details on their website.)

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.