Turn on thread page Beta

Should Grey Squirrels be wiped out? watch

ReputationRep:
    Grey Squirrels pretty much wiped out the Red Squirrel from 3.5 million they've dropped to between 120,000-160,000 with a population thought to be as low as 15,000 in England.
    For those that don't know, grey squirrels came from North America in 1876 whereas the red squirrel is native to Britain.
    Grey squirrels carry a disease that has no affect on them but is deadly for red squirrels.
    Grey squirrels are more likely to eat green acorns, so will decimate the food source before reds get to them. Reds can’t digest mature acorns, so can only eat green acorns.
    When red squirrels are put under pressure they will not breed as often.

I say we should cull greys to give reds a second chance. What do you guys think?
    https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blo...quirrel-facts/

You make it sound like grey squirrels are heartless monsters purposefully killing all the red squirrels, and that we need to protect the reds from them or something.

At the end of the day, a squirrel is a squirrel. I don't agree we should 'cull' them (hate the word, it's like you're trying not to acknowledge it's actually just killing). Humans meddle enough with nature as it is, and we have no right to so. Plus, I understand why you think it might be necessary but tell me honestly - would you be able to personally kill one? When you really think about what it is, it's not so easy a solution.

But yes, I do think we need to help red squirrels in some way but not through killing other innocent animals.

ReputationRep:
    Put them in zoos or centres and breed
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    The headless one i found on the road the other day certainly had been

ReputationRep:
    Or Maybe it is Darwin's theory of evolution happening. It's not like a whole species is going extinct, just 1 type replacing another. As long as it doesn't have a too big of an impact on the ecosystems then we should not be too concerned. Worst case scenario: take some DNA and preserve it so we can clone them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stardusty)
    You make it sound like grey squirrels are heartless monsters purposefully killing all the red squirrels, and that we need to protect the reds from them or something.

At the end of the day, a squirrel is a squirrel. I don't agree we should 'cull' them (hate the word, it's like you're trying not to acknowledge it's actually just killing). Humans meddle enough with nature as it is, and we have no right to so. Plus, I understand why you think it might be necessary but tell me honestly - would you be able to personally kill one? When you really think about what it is, it's not so easy a solution.

But yes, I do think we need to help red squirrels in some way but not through killing other innocent animals.
    We should protect the reds from them, they do kill reds and we should protect our own native species over foreign species. Cull is killing them just a specified number of them. We do meddle and that's why reds are in this predicament, we should fix our mistake and restore reds to their place in the environment. We also do have a right to, we live on this planet we get a say on how it's run. Besides I don't think whether I personally can or can't kill a squirrel is relevent to the discussion since i support their departure of this Earth and that's what should matter.

It's a pretty simple solution, no more greys then no more competition for reds and the red numbers will rise to pre-grey numbers.

ReputationRep:
    CleverSquirrel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel_Chen)
    Or Maybe it is Darwin's theory of evolution happening. It's not like a whole species is going extinct, just 1 type replacing another. As long as it doesn't have a too big of an impact on the ecosystems then we should not be too concerned. Worst case scenario: take some DNA and preserve it so we can clone them.
    It is a case of the grey's more adapted to survive but that does not mean we should resign the red squirrel alongside the dodo bird. Well it could go extinct, it the UK anyway. I prefer native species surviving and staying it the UK and not exterminated by an invasive foeign species the grey squirrel is classified as an IAS: an invasive alien species. The International Union for Conservation of Nature puts it in the top 100 most harmful invasive species in the world. I think whenever a species is almost wiped out of its homeland we should be concerned and that's a horrible attitude to hold. Surely, preservation is better than cloning.

ReputationRep:
    is this not natural selection??

ReputationRep:
    Bloody immigrant squirrels.

I didn't vote Brexit for this to have this grey menace swamping my country :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_winterb)
    is this not natural selection??
    Yes, but that doesn't mean it's right. It doesn't justify their extinction, also it's hardly fair when the grey squirrels carry squirrelpox which doesn't affect them but kills reds within a week. In 2008 the numbers of red squirrels at Formby had declined by 80% as a result of this disease. We should preserve these beautiful animals and not allow them to be wiped out by an invasive alien species.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stardusty)

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying we shouldn't help them, but is it worth it? Culling greys now won't help them in 20 years for example when they might be attacked again. Also it would take a lot of money and effort personally I won't oppose it but I won't help the cause much either. Because the reason the dodo went extinct is because of Dutch settlers therefore it was our fault they no longer exist. BTW we are learning about extinction in Biology at the moment 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nil Admirari)
    Yes, but that doesn't mean it's right. It doesn't justify their extinction, also it's hardly fair when the grey squirrels carry squirrelpox which doesn't affect them but kills reds within a week. In 2008 the numbers of red squirrels at Formby had declined by 80% as a result of this disease. We should preserve these beautiful animals and not allow them to be wiped out by an invasive alien species.
    It's fine to do this, but don't pretend it isn't just based on human sentimentality and romanticism regarding red squirrels.

The International Union for Conservation of Nature puts it in the top 100 most harmful invasive species in the world.
    Yeah and who was it that made greys an invasion species by moving them. Hint: It's the animal that should be at the top of any invasion species list XD

ReputationRep:
    That's like saying the natural selection of humans wasn't justified because we killed lots of animals along the way.
    We kill huge numbers of animals every day, so should we be culled?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    It's fine to do this, but don't pretend it isn't just based on human sentimentality and romanticism regarding red squirrels.
    Bit of both in all honesty. We should conserve any native species just on principal and yes there is an aspect of sentimentality to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_winterb)
    That's like saying the natural selection of humans wasn't justified because we killed lots of animals along the way.
    We kill huge numbers of animals every day, so should we be culled?
    No. But what i'm saying is that you're resigning them to their fate when it can and should be prevented.

ReputationRep:
    What about rabbits? They aren't native to Britain, they were introduced by the Romans, and only introduced to the wild ~12th Century

ReputationRep:
    If it was human culling I would be in favour. There are grey squirrels elsewhere in the world so we would not be causing the extinction of a species. One of the things from the US we could have done without.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel_Chen)
    D’oh. It is precisely the fact that a (native) species could go extinct. They are different species entirely.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.