Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

So I'm 16 (17 in 4 months woop woop) and my dad has made it a habit of looking through my phone to look through pretty much everything, from photos to messages to voice recording.

I've tried to tell him about such a thing as privacy but he consistently says that if I have nothing to hide then I wouldn't require any privacy- obviously I'm not doing irresponsible, I don't and haven't ever drank or smoked or done any drugs and I do school work pretty much all day and every time I'm seen on my phone I get scalded, whether it's 10 minutes or whatever.

Ugh, I just hate to look over and see my dad and step mum looking over everything I'm doing. My dad doesn't trust me at all, I'm not allowed to have passwords on my phone or anything. And I recently discovered that he had been tracking my phone somehow but I got rid of that.

I told him one day, when I was particularly pissed off, that I would buy my own phone because then LEGALLY he wouldn't be able to take it from me...

Yeah that didn't work out very well...

But yeah, I need a serious argument to make him BACK THE HELL OFF.

Please help.

You don't have a strong argument when you live with them.

Get a job, get your own place and they can't stop you doing your thing.

In the mean time, put a password on your phone.

not much you can do really. i guess if he doesnt find any thing on your phone he might start to trust you more. btw arguments arent going to help
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

When you get to 18 then complain, at the moment they are just protecting you like any good parent should. Be glad your parents care enough to check your phone to make sure your not being groomed etc.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2018
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.