Turn on thread page Beta

Flexible Work Hours for Parents? (POLL) watch

• View Poll Results: Should all businesses introduce flexible hours?
    Yes, it's important for parents to have control over their schedles, and could increase productivity
    100.00%
    Only businesses that could afford to make these changes
    0%
    No, businesses should not compromise in this way
    0%
    No, parents should work part time or not at all
    0%

ReputationRep:
    So I recently read this article, which was talking about how more businesses are introducing flexible hours ("Changes might include working fewer hours, a job share or working from home. Though employers are allowed to say no if they feel it's detrimental to business.")

This would mean that parents won't have to choose between staying at home with their parents and going to work.

"The Working Families study found that inflexibility is having a detrimental impact on family life. 39% of parents said they were often missing putting their kids to bed. "

"We saw productivity go up by more than 30% when we introduced flexi-working."

What are your opinions?

Should all businesses introduce flexible hours?
    What about part-time jobs?
    What about businesses where flexible hours may not be helpful to the business such as a cafe that is open only between 5pm and 10pm?
    Or should parents just make the choice between work and children and deal with it?

ReputationRep:
    Flexi hours already exist for parents, they just need to find work that does it. When I worked flexi hours, you had to make sure you started work by 10am, and couldn't leave before 4pm. However you did have to make sure you worked the correct hours each week. I like many, actually worked over time while doing flexi time, and found I could have an extra days leave per month.

I don't believe people should get flexi time just because they are parents, but for all people to pick and choose their hours of work.

The work place is generally good for the parents, with most letting them having Xmas leave etc while singles work through. However it is important parents do not go over the top. I knew one women who not only took Christmas leave, but also expected Easter each year, which is frowned on. If you take one then the other is usual for other staff members to take. After all if you are a good team player then you adapt and help each other and don't grab everything for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    if this were the case then flexi hrs would also have to bee introduced for single people, or those without kids

ReputationRep:
    This isn't the best poll out there. The questions are rather leading. And why limit flexible working to parents? I am sure most people would like the opportunity to have more control over their working hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purdy7)
    Flexi hours already exist for parents, they just need to find work that does it. When I worked flexi hours, you had to make sure you started work by 10am, and couldn't leave before 4pm.
    Yep - that is the world I used to work in when i was a software dev. But now I teach = no flexibility at all. My wife has been trying to go back to work but it has been very very hard. She is in admin and finding a job that pays with flexibility is impossible. She has just started a new job with fixed hours of 9am to 5.30pm. Very progressive - not!

Many of our friends (women) either don't work or are in dead end jobs that are way below their qualifications. It is one of the biggest wastes of talent I have ever seen. All these mums itching to contribute but inhibited by a lack of employers who can see the bigger picture.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.