Wuthering Heights Essay - HELP? (AS ENGLISH)

Watch
Clvire
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
‘The gothic elements spoil Bronte’s novel and make it unconvincing’. With reference to Bronte’s narrative method and relevant contextual information, show to what extent you would agree with this statement.

I have no idea how to structure or answer this properly as I can't think of any relevant points (the mark scheme is no help either) - can someone please help.
username2794196
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think in those kinds of essays where it asks 'to what extent' you should speak from both sides of the argument. For example, you could argue that the supernatural elements in Wuthering Heights (i.e. Cathy's ghost knocking on the window) are perhaps gothic elements that are unconvincing for modern-day readers. On the other hand, you could talk about how the gothic themes are crucial in the novel as it is what defines many of the characters. Heathcliff is a typical gothic character as he is complex, unpredictable and often immoral - without those gothic attributes, there would be no story.

I was never so good with structure but make sure you do the Point, Explanation, Evidence, Link thing with all your arguments. Quoting things to back you up always gets marks. Start with a strong introduction and make sure to end with a conclusion that settles up whether you agree or disagree with the exam question or if you can see both sides of the argument.

Sorry I can't be of more use, I hope this helps!
Clvire
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by o.dowes)
I think in those kinds of essays where it asks 'to what extent' you should speak from both sides of the argument. For example, you could argue that the supernatural elements in Wuthering Heights (i.e. Cathy's ghost knocking on the window) are perhaps gothic elements that are unconvincing for modern-day readers. On the other hand, you could talk about how the gothic themes are crucial in the novel as it is what defines many of the characters. Heathcliff is a typical gothic character as he is complex, unpredictable and often immoral - without those gothic attributes, there would be no story.

I was never so good with structure but make sure you do the Point, Explanation, Evidence, Link thing with all your arguments. Quoting things to back you up always gets marks. Start with a strong introduction and make sure to end with a conclusion that settles up whether you agree or disagree with the exam question or if you can see both sides of the argument.

Sorry I can't be of more use, I hope this helps!
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (92)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.35%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.58%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.4%

Watched Threads