Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,
    I was just accepted into a Ph.D. program at the University of Edinburgh. I am from the United States, and I have just received a degree from Penn. Incase you are unfamiliar, Penn is an ivy-league school with a solid reputation.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not University of Edinburgh has a strong academic reputation like the Ivy-league schools i the United States.

Thank you,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dzelaya)
    Hello everyone,
    I was just accepted into a Ph.D. program at the University of Edinburgh. I am from the United States, and I have just received a degree from Penn. Incase you are unfamiliar, Penn is an ivy-league school with a solid reputation.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether or not University of Edinburgh has a strong academic reputation like the Ivy-league schools i the United States.

Thank you,
    If you look at the QS world university rankings you will find Penn at 19 and Edinburgh at joint 23. While such rankings are hardly official or even objective, it suggests that the two institutions are not dissimilar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Congrats! What kind of PhD ll u be doing?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! it is Ph.D. in Music

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    If you look at the QS world university rankings you will find Penn at 19 and Edinburgh at joint 23. While such rankings are hardly official or even objective, it suggests that the two institutions are not dissimilar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for your response!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! it is Ph.D. in Music
    Ah that’s interesting I recently applied for master programme in science still waiting to hear back I’m so stressed. Have u visited Edinburgh city?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeadsToes)
    Ah that’s interesting I recently applied for master programme in science still waiting to hear back I’m so stressed. Have u visited Edinburgh city?
    Sounds great!

No, I haven't visited Edinburgh at all. Actually, I have never been to the United Kingdom :P.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds great!

No, I haven't visited Edinburgh at all. Actually, I have never been to the United Kingdom :P.
    I live here for almost 14 years and so far its ok big city but not that big when comparing to Glasgow which is opposite side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeadsToes)
    I live here for almost 14 years and so far its ok big city but not that big when comparing to Glasgow which is opposite side.
    First time I heard Edinburgh referred to as a 'big city'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaotic1328)
    First time I heard Edinburgh referred to as a 'big city'...
    Bigger than St Andrews at least

ReputationRep:
    The US has the ivy-league while the UK has the Russell Group. University of Edinburgh happens to be a Russell Group University.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.