Turn on thread page Beta

upset that my friend didnt care about my birthday watch

so it was recently my 16th birthday and i recieved some lovely gifts from my friends but someone that i thought i was closest with didnt get me anything. It confuses me because he even asked me what i wanted (its been a month since my birthday now). Obviously im not going to make a big fuss over that, like he did wish me a happy birthday so im not gonna let it bother me.
    However, in my friendship group, the last person birthday it was and like the first 16th birthday we had in our group, we gave him a surprise party at frankie and bennys with balloons and cakes and we payed for his meal and it was really nice. For my birthday, apparently it was meant to be a surprise but i got asked the day before whether i wanted to go to weatherspoons as a birthday meal. I was like cool but then i found out that they had been arguing about it before like what day to it. When we got there, none of them talked to me, they carried on having their own conversations or being on their phone. Only one out of six people had brought me a present ( most of the others gave something to me the next weeks) and there was no ballooons or cake or anything special and they just ignored me.One of my friends also told me that they were planning on meeting someone after the meal to get alchohol and get drunk on the beach which they knew i didnt like the idea of. Unfortuanltey when we went to order our meal, we were told that we couldnt cause it was a friday night and we were under sixteen, understandable. However, at this point i suggested we get chips or something cause like there are no other restaurants in our town, everyone said they would just go and get drunk seeing as there was nothing else to do and left me to walk home by myself and eat chips by myself at home. And that was my birthday meal. It is now a month later and ive decided that i want to do something as it was my 16th. So i have organised a meal at chiquitos but i just find it kind of sad that im the one that has to organise it and like basically "force" people to come. and half my friends are 'busy' when i know that they are planning on meeting up seperatley.

Am i really overthinking it and being petty by being annoyed or is this like reasonable that im annoyed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    so it was recently my 16th birthday and i recieved some lovely gifts from my friends but someone that i thought i was closest with didnt get me anything. It confuses me because he even asked me what i wanted (its been a month since my birthday now). Obviously im not going to make a big fuss over that, like he did wish me a happy birthday so im not gonna let it bother me.
    However, in my friendship group, the last person birthday it was and like the first 16th birthday we had in our group, we gave him a surprise party at frankie and bennys with balloons and cakes and we payed for his meal and it was really nice. For my birthday, apparently it was meant to be a surprise but i got asked the day before whether i wanted to go to weatherspoons as a birthday meal. I was like cool but then i found out that they had been arguing about it before like what day to it. When we got there, none of them talked to me, they carried on having their own conversations or being on their phone. Only one out of six people had brought me a present ( most of the others gave something to me the next weeks) and there was no ballooons or cake or anything special and they just ignored me.One of my friends also told me that they were planning on meeting someone after the meal to get alchohol and get drunk on the beach which they knew i didnt like the idea of. Unfortuanltey when we went to order our meal, we were told that we couldnt cause it was a friday night and we were under sixteen, understandable. However, at this point i suggested we get chips or something cause like there are no other restaurants in our town, everyone said they would just go and get drunk seeing as there was nothing else to do and left me to walk home by myself and eat chips by myself at home. And that was my birthday meal. It is now a month later and ive decided that i want to do something as it was my 16th. So i have organised a meal at chiquitos but i just find it kind of sad that im the one that has to organise it and like basically "force" people to come. and half my friends are 'busy' when i know that they are planning on meeting up seperatley.

Am i really overthinking it and being petty by being annoyed or is this like reasonable that im annoyed.
    I mean i feel like its hard to judge as you are giving a one sided/subjective view on the entire situation therefore the way you have written it may have made certain things sound worse than they actually are thats how you interpreted the situation. However your friends do sound like they're being a bit thoughtless. It sounds like you and your friends have very different interests therefore maybe you should make an effort to maybe spend more time with people you have more in common with because trust me from experience the drinking is only going to become a more common occurrence at that age so quit while you're ahead if thats something you really dont want to be around. At the end of the day I know its getting you down but in the grand scheme of things just think about how minor this problem really is. At the age of 16 tbf a lot of your friends probably cant afford to buy birthday presents unless they have a job of parents to fund them

if this helped please give me rep!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely understandable that you're annoyed, I would be if they went to so much effort for someone else's birthday but couldn't even be bothered to do something properly for yours. The present situation could be because the majority of them aren't working and so don't have a disposable income but that's no excuse for ditching you to go and get drunk. You're only 16, though, these people will eventually grow up and you'll find better people to associate with when you're older.

ReputationRep:
    We are all gonna die someday so getting upset or holding a grudge on someone is purely a waste of time. If someone doesn't make a positive impact on your life then please move on, and forget whatever happened.

Reading this broke my heart. I'm sorry you had such a rubbish time, I think a lot of us experience this at some point in our lives though. Yeah you have every right to be annoyed and they don't sound like real friends to be honest. Enjoy your time with the people that do show up. Maintain the friendships with the people who show they care about you and distance those who don't.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.