anossia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm currently taking A-level law and I'm really struggling with this essay. The teacher has provided nothing for it so the class and I don't understand it.

We have to evaluate and criticise the non-fatal offences i.e the legislation etc and use the law commission etc but it's so confusing. Any help would be much appreciated thank you!
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So the Law Commission report is here: http://www.lawcom.gov.uk/app/uploads...-HC555_Web.pdf

Summary of the Law Com report: https://www.criminallawandjustice.co...Against-Person

Journal article about the Law Com report: http://sro.sussex.ac.uk/61946/4/Not%...20Person-1.pdf

I highly doubt that your law teacher gave you nothing. More likely they gave you some clues but you weren't paying attention.
anossia
Rep:
?
I promise you he hasn't, I've been receiving Distinction * 's in all of my work which contributes to my final grade. I listen intently to what he has to say but mainly he says just get on with the assignment. We have to teach ourselves the work
Estaphel
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you need any help, hit me up in PMs! My law teacher is quite good at these sorts of things and I did NFOATP last night. I'm OCR new spec so if you're old spec I probably won't be much help I'm afraid lol.
anossia
Rep:
?
Thank you! That's my spec it's just so frustrating tbh but I love it regardless ^^ thank you for the offer!!
Audrey18
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Estaphel)
If you need any help, hit me up in PMs! My law teacher is quite good at these sorts of things and I did NFOATP last night. I'm OCR new spec so if you're old spec I probably won't be much help I'm afraid lol.
could you clear up the confusion between s18, s20 and s47?
Estaphel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Audrey18)
could you clear up the confusion between s18, s20 and s47?
Absolutely I can! Sorry about formatting by the way.

Ok so s.18 and 20 are extremely similar and there isn't much difference between the two. s.20 is inflicting grievous bodily harm without the exact mens rea to do so or doing so recklessly. s.18 is extremely similar, except that it requires proof of intent if it is against a regular member of the public, but it has the same MR as s.20 if it is against a police officer and intervening in a lawful arrest of another person. For example, if I hit someone on the head with a golf club and it fractured their jaw, I could be liable for GBH contrary to s.20 OAPA as I don't have direct intent to fracture their jaw, but if I did the same to a police officer I could be liable for GBH contrary to s.18 OAPA. Further, if I was driving along and saw someone lying on the road and I drove over their foot and broke their ankle as they were trying to get away, I could be liable for s.18 OAPA as it is obvious I have direct intent as I have seen the person there and proceeded to run them over and break their foot. Both of these offences come under the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 (which has been amended several times, as it first included punishments such as the death penalty - which was abolished in a private member's bill from Sydney Silverman in the Murder (Abolition of the Death Penalty) Act 1965) and they are both indictable offences, meaning that they must have a full criminal trial in front of a jury of 12 people. s.47, however, is assault occasioning actual bodily harm (ABH) contrary to s.47 OAPA. For this, the first offence can be either assault or battery which must result in ABH (hence the name). ABH is usually defined as an injury not so trivial that it would be considered insignificant and an injury that interferes with one's health or comfort. This offence is triable either way, meaning that it can be tried in both a magistrate's court or a crown court in front of a jury of 12. For example, if I were to punch someone on the arm and they got a bruise from it, I could be liable for assault occasioning actual bodily harm as well as battery (applying unlawful force to another person) as my battery has escalated into ABH as the bruise is less trivial that it could be considered insignificant, and it would almost certainly impair the V's health or comfort. The MR for s.47 is likely the simplest part yet the most complicated to grasp: this is the same as the MR for the ulterior offence. In my example, it means that I would not require a separate MR to the battery for bruising the V, but merely just the MR to punch the victim in the arm. I hope that all makes sense! If you need any more help don't be afraid to ask! I could also send you some revision materials I make if you'd like.
anossia
Rep:
?
Thank you so so much!
Audrey18
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
Estaphel you did such a good job without being arrogant or rude. you should really be a 'community assistant' on this forum. btw do you study tort and contract law?
Estaphel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Estaphel you did such a good job without being arrogant or rude. you should really be a 'community assistant' on this forum. btw do you study tort and contract law?
Heh, I only joined the forum this week, but thank you! ^-^

I think we'll be doing those next year, we've only really done legislative process and some criminal law so far. We've just started working on the juries quite recently though as well.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh sly dig. OP never said thank you, so who is really rude here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.3%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.44%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (83)
19.58%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.43%
No - I live at home during term anyway (124)
29.25%

Watched Threads