Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just need some advice as to which college I should choose; I have 3 choices

College #1;
    Pros: No.1 on South West league tables, my favourite courses, one of which is not available at the other colleges. Fantastic trips abroad that are not offered at the other colleges. Has the AQA History course I prefer too.
    Cons: Worst commute time of 1 hr 5 mins public bus journey each way and many, many stops on the way, as in every 2 mins. I don't know if I can handle this as i'd be catching the bus at 7:30am and getting home at around 6pm.

College #2
    Pros: Convenient, my parents can pick me up if needed. Has the same AQA History course I prefer. Shortest bus travel time of 40 mins. Catch bus at 8am, arrive home around 5pm.
    Cons: 18th on SW league tables. Their website and prospectus are terrible and don't even match the courses they are really offering as I found when attending an open evening. I do GCSE engineering there and i'm not impressed with the quality of teaching.

College #3
    Pros: A compromise as the bus journey is 45 mins school mini bus with few stops. 5th in SW league tables.
    Cons: Has OCR History course that i'm not so keen on. Not really any trips to go on.

The 1st college has the best courses and opportunities, but I might get exhausted from the journey. The 2nd college is the most convenient but worse overall. The 3rd college is a good compromise but I lose my preferred history course and the course only offered by the first college and there are no exciting trips etc.

ReputationRep:
    Think about what matters to you the most. I'd ignore league tables as they don't always say much, however do think about the quality of teaching as that matters.
    Clearly you already have some experience with the 2nd college and it doesn't seem great. Are you willing to compromise with the travel times? Chances are you will be exhausted if you are having the long travel times, I know people though who do travel those times and they're fine(not on public transport though). The opportunities the 1st college offers sound great and if thats what you want-go for it.
    The 3rd one doesn't appear to interest you much at all based on what you've wrote.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed reply, it's given me lots to think about
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atomix)
    I just need some advice as to which college I should choose; I have 3 choices

College #1;
    Pros: No.1 on South West league tables, my favourite courses, one of which is not available at the other colleges. Fantastic trips abroad that are not offered at the other colleges. Has the AQA History course I prefer too.
    Cons: Worst commute time of 1 hr 5 mins public bus journey each way and many, many stops on the way, as in every 2 mins. I don't know if I can handle this as i'd be catching the bus at 7:30am and getting home at around 6pm.

College #2
    Pros: Convenient, my parents can pick me up if needed. Has the same AQA History course I prefer. Shortest bus travel time of 40 mins. Catch bus at 8am, arrive home around 5pm.
    Cons: 18th on SW league tables. Their website and prospectus are terrible and don't even match the courses they are really offering as I found when attending an open evening. I do GCSE engineering there and i'm not impressed with the quality of teaching.

College #3
    Pros: A compromise as the bus journey is 45 mins school mini bus with few stops. 5th in SW league tables.
    Cons: Has OCR History course that i'm not so keen on. Not really any trips to go on.

The 1st college has the best courses and opportunities, but I might get exhausted from the journey. The 2nd college is the most convenient but worse overall. The 3rd college is a good compromise but I lose my preferred history course and the course only offered by the first college and there are no exciting trips etc.
    League tables are completely irrelevant. Choose the one you like more and would fit in, as well as the one that'll give you a better grade. Honestly 1hr commute is nothing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If travel time is the only con, I'd go with college #1.

I travel 1.5hr to uni each day and it can take up to 2hrs to get home. But I like where I am so it's worth it. I make use of the travel time to study or, if I really don't feel like it, I read a book. Once you get use to long travel times they're not too bad.

ReputationRep:
    Travelled 50 minutes when I was at sixth form. Not worth it - not even if it was the best.

ReputationRep:
    An hour commute really isn't that much and if that's the only disadvantage then its a pretty minor one

ReputationRep:
    Some days I travel four hours (to sixth form and back) just for an hour and a half lesson. At times this feels ridiculous but when I think about it, I do actually really like the college itself and I absolutely love one of the A levels I'm doing. Also, the options closer to me are very poor and I just went with what I wanted.

At the beginning I was doing one to two hours of walking every day to get to train stations and college but then I worked out the buses and I am a lot less exhausted now.

I still believe that this sixth form was the best opportunity for me. However, I struggle to meet up with new friends because a lot of them live far away in other directions to me.

There will be positives and negatives to every college but it's only for two years so just go with whatever is best for your future.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your replies, they're very helpful. The problem is that with college 1, it stops every 2 or so minutes for that 1 hour and 5 mins journey according to the bus timetable, which is frustrating as by car it's 30 mins. With college 3 it is a 45 min journey but after 15 mins of stops it's plain sailing for the remaining half an hour.

Whatever college I choose I have a minimum 40 minutes journey. I had not thought of a possibility of having only one or a few lessons a day sometimes. Is this really a possibility as these buses only run once a day!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with the first or third. There's a 10 minute difference between 2 and 3, which really isn't much. But a forty minute difference between one and three, which is pretty sizeable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atomix)
    Thanks for all your replies, they're very helpful. The problem is that with college 1, it stops every 2 or so minutes for that 1 hour and 5 mins journey according to the bus timetable, which is frustrating as by car it's 30 mins. With college 3 it is a 45 min journey but after 15 mins of stops it's plain sailing for the remaining half an hour.

Whatever college I choose I have a minimum 40 minutes journey. I had not thought of a possibility of having only one or a few lessons a day sometimes. Is this really a possibility as these buses only run once a day!
    You could use the remaining time to study so when you're home you have nothing else to worry about. Maybe find out what a typical timetable looks like if you're that worried?Also do you have the option to drive yourself?
    Yes it's annoying if it stops every 2 minutes, but from experience when I was commuting daily via public transport for an hour with the bus constantly stopping, I didn't notice. I just watched a programme on my phone and time flies or even do some work in the mean time.
    The difference between 1, and then 2 and 3 is an extra 20minutes on the bus which in reality doesn't seem too much more.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I love that your worst choice is 18th in the entire South West and you portray it as terrible!

ReputationRep:
    i go to a better college thats 1h away and personally i think its worth it but everyones different i guess. you need to see if its really worth it or if youre someone whos not a fan of commuting

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.