Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it possible to get an A in a subject I'm not good at? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am awful at A Level maths - I don't know why i took it, I tried to drop it within the first few weeks of year 12 but wasn't allowed, and now I'm in year 13 and panicking so much over it. I do fine in my other subjects and am predicted A*s but I find maths such a chore. I got a B in my mock (a C3 paper), but I revised so so so much for it, and neglected my other subjects. In my AS i got a C (3 Cs in 3 modules :/). I didn't revise much last year which definitely contributed to the poor grade, but even when I do revise maths I'm still awful at it and can't seem to get above a B. I'm retaking all my AS modules and hoping to get A's in those so I can afford to slip up a bit in my A2 modules but I really need an A overall to get into my uni of choice.

I think I'm improving since I got C's in my AS modules (C1 C2 and S1) but a B on my C3 mock, which kind of makes me think I can get A's on my retakes since they're easier papers, but I need to reach a solid A. Does anyone have any advice on how to revise achieve this I'm literally only interested in exam technique haha, any advice would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    work through the text book and past papers, do as many questions as possible. if you have a friend who is very good at maths revise with them and get them to explain any topics you find difficult. once you have revised a lot, do past papers under timed conditions and then mark and work though them to see where you need to improve. in exams attempt questions on topics you are confident in first, don't agonize if you can't do something move on and come back to it later
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I am going to echo aesthete1 and say it's all about practise.
    If you struggle with a specific type of question you need to do a number of them so you can get the hang of them, just go back to basics.
    In terms of exam technique, look at past papers and the way answers are laid out and how they mark. If you literally write out every stage of your working out you will get method marks for your technique and approach. If you just write one line and an answer, then the examiner has no way of giving you those marks if your answer is wrong.
    My teacher was great for helping us because he made us do a lot of past papers and how best to approach questions, if your teacher is doing this definitely make the most of those classes and you'll notice that a lot of the questions have very similar methods which boosts confidence when you approach them in the exam.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.