Turn on thread page Beta

Best Program to monitor CPU temperature in laptop on windows 10 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys

I am wondering why my Dell latitude E7440 is overheating, This laptop is not used for gaming nor for editing. But whenever i plugged inn fans produces more noise and the laptop temperature went up in couple of minutes. I suspect it overheating my laptop.
    How do I check the laptop temperature & control on windows 10 Operating system. Can I overcome this problem just installing the software's any thing serious happened to my system.

ReputationRep:
    CPU-Z iirc is open-source and does the job well.

The temperature should worry you. Might be a cryptocurrency miner running on your CPU - either through javascript from a website you visited (even news websites have started doing this), or (much less likely) malware on your computer.

Download the uMatrix addon for Firefox (blocks most mining scripts) and see if your temperatures improve. If not, you might have malware.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
    CPU-Z iirc is open-source and does the job well.

The temperature should worry you. Might be a cryptocurrency miner running on your CPU - either through javascript from a website you visited (even news websites have started doing this), or (much less likely) malware on your computer. Normal CPU Temp

Download the uMatrix addon for Firefox (blocks most mining scripts) and see if your cpu temperatures improve. If not, you might have malware.
    https://softlay.net/how-to/monitor-y...mperature.html
    Thanks for quick reply bro, where do I get the download link of this app. Yes I am worried about my laptop temperature. What is a cryptocurrency miner. I never install any thing like that on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bistik)
    Thanks for quick reply bro, where do I get the download link of this app. Yes I am worried about my laptop temperature. What is a cryptocurrency miner. I never install any thing like that on it
    Firefox browser: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
    uMatrix addon for Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/umatrix/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    When you plug a laptop in, a few things happen that affect temperature. Obviously, the battery starts charging. That generates heat. Secondly it allows the CPU to run off the mains power, which often offers up more performance. This in turn tends to result in fans kicking in. Simply having the fans come on when you plug the laptop in is not necessarily cause for concern and checking temperatures doesn't really give you any useful information. You're better off looking for suspicious processes in Task Manager or something similar but I'm guessing you also won't know what to look for. It sounds likely your CPU is being used for something but it's impossible to say what without more information.

We don't know anything about the laptop or what you are using it for. Other than model do you have more information about the specs? And what you are using this laptop for? Are you doing anything specific when it starts overheating?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing special resource intensive running in task manager.

My laptop specs

Ram 8GB
    128 SSD
    Windows 10
    2 GHz Processor, Core I5 Vpro

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 5, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.