The Student Room Group

How do I 'do well' in life?

Hi. I'm a Year 12 student who comes from a middle/upper class family. I really want to do something significant with my life, to repay my parents for all the money they've invested in me over the years and the opportunities/facilities I've been given to succeed. I took my GCSEs last summer and did quite well, which was a proud moment, and I've taken A Levels in Biology, History and Spanish. I really want to be influential, to make a difference and contribute significantly to society but I don't really know how to do so. I don't think I'd be great at a career like Medicine, Dentistry, Engineering as my dexterity isn't that great. I've thought about Law, but it just seems like a career where you have to be extremely confident in yourself to succeed, and while I am fairly confident, I don't know how good I would be at this. Does anyone have advice as I just want to do well and make my parents proud, and feel like all the money/time they invested paid off in the end.

I'd be really grateful for a response
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi. I'm a Year 12 student who comes from a middle/upper class family. I really want to do something significant with my life, to repay my parents for all the money they've invested in me over the years and the opportunities/facilities I've been given to succeed. I took my GCSEs last summer and did quite well, which was a proud moment, and I've taken A Levels in Biology, History and Spanish. I really want to be influential, to make a difference and contribute significantly to society but I don't really know how to do so. I don't think I'd be great at a career like Medicine, Dentistry, Engineering as my dexterity isn't that great. I've thought about Law, but it just seems like a career where you have to be extremely confident in yourself to succeed, and while I am fairly confident, I don't know how good I would be at this. Does anyone have advice as I just want to do well and make my parents proud, and feel like all the money/time they invested paid off in the end.

I'd be really grateful for a response

You do 'well' by creating and smashing goals. Having goals to achieve gives you motivation and the drive to go and get them. I study Law, feel free to message about any questions you may have.
Biology is probably the career path with the most likely 'successful' path.

Not sure what you mean by your dexterity, but if you like e.g. Chemistry you could have a great career in medical research.
'Work hard, and be kind to other people'.

Its a good recipe for a sense of self-worth, self-fulfillment and general happiness.
Reply 4
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Biology is probably the career path with the most likely 'successful' path.

Not sure what you mean by your dexterity, but if you like e.g. Chemistry you could have a great career in medical research.

Thanks for the response. The problem is though I didn't take an A Level in Chemistry as I didn't think I would need it. Could you just do biological research. Do you know what this entails?
Reply 5
Original post by jdddd
You do 'well' by creating and smashing goals. Having goals to achieve gives you motivation and the drive to go and get them. I study Law, feel free to message about any questions you may have.

Thank you. How are you finding law at the moment?
Reply 6
Original post by returnmigrant

Its a good recipe for a sense of self-worth, self-fulfillment and general happiness.

Thank you - that's a very good way of putting it. I'm going to try and work as hard as possible not only for myself, but for the people around me.
Original post by jdddd

PRSOM..but your responses though :h:
My definition of "doing well" is accepting your limits as well as your potential. Some have little ambition and are stuck in cashier roles etc. but at least they're surviving :wink: and someone's got to do those jobs anyway.
Reply 9
Original post by shawn_o1
My definition of "doing well" is accepting your limits as well as your potential. Some have little ambition and are stuck in cashier roles etc. but at least they're surviving :wink: and someone's got to do those jobs anyway.

That's true. It's a shame really because some of those people will be very smart, but may have just been unlucky or not had the opportunities of others. That's why I want to make the most of mine.
Reply 10
Thank you. How are you finding law at the moment?

Good, like anything, its hard. But, if you have the passion and drive you can achieve anything. Its really interesting and you study lots of different modules, personally, when (thats my drive:wink:) graduate, I want to go into Criminal Law, but, the Law course opens up so much more to Law and I might find I change my perception and would rather go another route. But thats the huge benefit to Law being able to change subjects that you prefer and finding more interesting and developing your skills in Law in general. As each different type of Law requires a slightly different skill set really and so you can develop yourself and maybe your weaknesses by studying another aspect of Law.
Reply 11
Original post by shawn_o1

Its not bad doing that job if you're a student and such. Also accepting your limits? We can't accept our weakness as a limit. You need to learn and be able to thrive off weaknesses thats what makes a successful person, the feeling of feeling like they could accomplish anything.
Reply 12
Original post by returnmigrant

Perfectly said.
Original post by anonymous375
PRSOM..but your responses though :h:

What does PRSOM stand for :smile:
What does PRSOM stand for :smile:

Ahh sorry didn't see this before...on TSR, PRSOM means please rate some other member. This info box pops up when you like a person's post and try to like another one from the same user in a short time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending