The Student Room Group
Student relaxing in halls, University of Bolton
University of Bolton
Bolton

What if the University of Bolton is my only choice?

Hi guys,
On December 15 I applied to 5 universities and one of them was Bolton. For now, I only got an offer from there. Since I am an international student, I have to decide early on what I will do before I get the other offers because I have to take IELTS too. Due to my bad grades, I'm not sure if I'm going to get another offer and I’m starting to think that if the offer from Bolton University is the only one that I’ll receive, is it worth to go there. I have read a lot of negative opinions and although there were positive ones, I started to wonder what to do. I'd be glad if someone gives me some advice on what to do if my predictions come true and the only offer I’ll get is from Bolton. I forgot to mention that my course is Computer Science :smile:
Original post by iliana334
Hi guys,
On December 15 I applied to 5 universities and one of them was Bolton. For now, I only got an offer from there. Since I am an international student, I have to decide early on what I will do before I get the other offers because I have to take IELTS too. Due to my bad grades, I'm not sure if I'm going to get another offer and I’m starting to think that if the offer from Bolton University is the only one that I’ll receive, is it worth to go there. I have read a lot of negative opinions and although there were positive ones, I started to wonder what to do. I'd be glad if someone gives me some advice on what to do if my predictions come true and the only offer I’ll get is from Bolton. I forgot to mention that my course is Computer Science :smile:

I'll be honest and say I don't think its worth coming potentially thousands of miles and paying international fees to go to Bolton, especially if there are decent universities in your home country.
Student relaxing in halls, University of Bolton
University of Bolton
Bolton
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
I'll be honest and say I don't think its worth coming potentially thousands of miles and paying international fees to go to Bolton, especially if there are decent universities in your home country.

Actually, I'm a EU student so my fee is 9,000 but even that's too much for me, especially if the university is not worth it. But on the other hand, I just want to start a new life in UK and that's why I'm considering Bolton
Original post by iliana334
I just want to start a new life in UK and that's why I'm considering Bolton

No one has ever said that before.

Bolton is a terrible university and the town itself is not much better.
Hi @iliana334,

Great to hear that you're considering the @UniversityofBolton, but I'm sorry to hear you've heard some negative comments about the university.

Whether you think coming to us or not is worth it will have to be your choice but it my opinion,having a university education and gaining a degree is always worth it! However, you have to make sure whether its right for you and only you can make that decision.

I think that you will always hear both positives and negatives about wherever you are considering studying, but a lot of our students have actually really enjoyed their experience with us and we were recently named number one in Greater Manchester for student satisfaction!

As an international student,I understand it may be difficult for you to come along to an Open Day but have you spoken to our international team? They will be able to help you with any of your concerns and they can tell you a lot more about the university in more detail. They can also help with your transition to the university and are here to support you when you arrive too.

Can I also ask what course it is that you've have applied for? We could arrange for tutor to talk to you if that would be help? They can talk to you more about the course and can tell you more about the careers you will have access to once you graduate as well as where previous graduates have gone on to work. This might give you more idea about the overall quality of the degree and whether its going to help you get to where you want to be?

As you are from the EU, the best contact details are:
Telephone: 01204 903 225
Email: [email protected]

Hope this helps and if there is anything else please do let me know.

Many thanks,

Leah
Marketing & Recruitment Officer
University of Bolton
Reply 5
Hi @iliana334

Bolton "recently named number one in Greater Manchester for student satisfaction" ?
named #1 by their marketing people, yes.

in some subjects
if you ignore some of the other universities in Greater Manchester.

Bolton town is an awful place to live, that I do know.
What is not to like about Bolton. They have night life, all the stores that a student would want (including so many high end clothing stores) and the university is very close to the train station, bus station and the town centre. It is also only a 5 minute walk to Macdonald's, kfc and subway.
Reply 7
University is also close to the market, once upon a time was THE place to go, now dying on its feet because the Council went and moved the bus station over the other side of town. Typical of the state of the town.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending