Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Car Mishap... watch

Announcements

Earlier today, I bumped the back of my car (Only had it for a month I feel awful!) into a parked car, it was the tiniest bump ever and at the time of the incident, there was no apparent damage to either cars other than some dirt that got rubbed off the other black car and onto my white car which came off mine easily so, I just left, pretended nothing happened to my friend who came out of her house a minute or so after and went on with my day... it was only tonight that I noticed that there is actually a small chip of paintwork scratched off my car (about 1cm^2) which I hope will be cheap go fix but here's what I need advice on:
    Should I tell my parents so they can advise the best approach to fixing the car? Should I leave out the other car and say it was a wall? (with much guilt) :/
    Should I try to get it fixed in secret?
    And if I go at it alone should I attempt to seek out the other driver (possibly a neighbour of my friend or friend of a neighbour of my friend) and offer to pay for any damages I caused?
    Note their car was a dark grey-black and there were no signs of my white paint having ended up on their car or of scratches but this doesn't mean that there aren't any
    I know the morally right choice regarding the other car but I am very embarrassed!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Earlier today, I bumped the back of my car (Only had it for a month I feel awful!) into a parked car, it was the tiniest bump ever and at the time of the incident, there was no apparent damage to either cars other than some dirt that got rubbed off the other black car and onto my white car which came off mine easily so, I just left, pretended nothing happened to my friend who came out of her house a minute or so after and went on with my day... it was only tonight that I noticed that there is actually a small chip of paintwork scratched off my car (about 1cm^2) which I hope will be cheap go fix but here's what I need advice on:
    Should I tell my parents so they can advise the best approach to fixing the car? Should I leave out the other car and say it was a wall? (with much guilt) :/
    Should I try to get it fixed in secret?
    And if I go at it alone should I attempt to seek out the other driver (possibly a neighbour of my friend or friend of a neighbour of my friend) and offer to pay for any damages I caused?
    Note their car was a dark grey-black and there were no signs of my white paint having ended up on their car or of scratches but this doesn't mean that there aren't any
    I know the morally right choice regarding the other car but I am very embarrassed!
    You’ve committed a criminal offence. Ring up 101 now and leave your details with them, before you get found out and pay the price.

The last thing the road needs is people like you, hitting cars and running off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Earlier today, I bumped the back of my car (Only had it for a month I feel awful!)...
    Obviously you should do what makes you happy/is best for you.
    If it was me and the situation is how you describe then it seems that it is quite minor and I wouldn't want to blow it up out of proportion.

However if you have a moral viewpoint different to what I just said then go with that!

ReputationRep:
    Chill out OP. It's not that big of a deal.

You don't need to get it fixed at all if you don't want to. You've described a minor chip in the paintwork. On that basis I'm pretty sure your car will still be roadworthy. I doubt anyone else will even notice it, given you only found it because you were looking for it, and not even the first time you were looking for it.

You've had advice as to contacting the other driver/ the police so I won't deal with that.

Don't lie to cover it up, but don't lose too much sleep over it, either. Practically speaking, no-one has the time, the resources, or the inclination to make a major issue out of this sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    Make the call as Sheepy said. If the car's decent, don't claim the chip on your insurance, just deal with it yourself. The likelihood is now the other driver won't chase it, but your bases are covered if he does if you call 101.

ReputationRep:
    Call 101, and explain. That way you're covered, legally.

If there's not significant damage to your car (just a chip) don't put it on your insurance. Just get it fixed up at a bodyshop, won't be much. If it's literally, as you say, a small chip, then you're looking at <£100 to get it touched up. Depending on how small it is, a touch-up pen might do it for ~<£40.

Rule of thumb is to leave a note with your details, no matter how small. I've come back to small dents and chips on my car that have been done by someone else, and they might not be that noticeable, but it's a complete frustration returning to my car to see someone's chipped it, no matter how small, and not even had the decency to leave a note.

Don't try to cover it up, and pretend nothing happened. It was an accident, and these things happen - it's not the end of the world. But this, unfortunately, is the big bad world, and you have to face these things. Covering it up is often likely to get you in more trouble than just dealing with it. It sounds like it was no big deal, so just go back to see if the car is a neighbour --> let them know --> make sure they're happy there's no damage --> get your small chip touched up at a bodyshop. Then move on

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.