Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I go to a Russell group uni (Sheffield) and I’m from Sheffield but live at home. I HATE university with a passion and I have NO friends and I mean I don’t speak to anyone because I don’t fit in. They all act about 13 years old I am far too mature for them, they all dress like they picked their outfits in the dark and I don’t think they know what showers are. I do not fit in and I can’t find anyone like me what so ever! I have my nails done, my hair done, wear nice clothes and make up for uni. I don’t know what to do because I feel so ostriced from everyone.

I can’t join a society because I have to work in the week and it’s too much time to have to come into town when I don’t live there.

I am from a working class background and don’t know whether to transfer to Sheffield Hallam because I will fit in better and make friends possibly.

(I came out of first semester with a 72)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harljade)
    I go to a Russell group uni (Sheffield) and I’m from Sheffield but live at home. I HATE university with a passion and I have NO friends and I mean I don’t speak to anyone because I don’t fit in. They all act about 13 years old I am far too mature for them, they all dress like they picked their outfits in the dark and I don’t think they know what showers are. I do not fit in and I can’t find anyone like me what so ever! I have my nails done, my hair done, wear nice clothes and make up for uni. I don’t know what to do because I feel so ostriced from everyone.

I can’t join a society because I have to work in the week and it’s too much time to have to come into town when I don’t live there.

I am from a working class background and don’t know whether to transfer to Sheffield Hallam because I will fit in better and make friends possibly.

(I came out of first semester with a 72)
    Placemarking for interest....

My guess would be that you are from a very different cultural background from your fellow students and living a hugely different lifestyle. In reality you are not likely to find much in common apart from shared interests. It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong per se.

"I have my nails done, my hair done, wear nice clothes and make up for uni" - many of the other girls are not living at home and working - they don't have the money for this. They will do these things when they start work. They don't think its as important as moving into halls and gaining some independence. Different strokes.

Are there any blogs by working class students you could read to identify with others in the same position?

This book is excellent https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...y-review-class

ReputationRep:
    people use their time at university to explore themselves and find out who they are as a person, however those like you seem to know your place in life already, and that's great! but just remember people mature at different rates
    as for moving to Hallam i would say there's no difference in terms of people you'll meet, they might perhaps be worse for you as it is lower in the league's.
    my advice is to move into halls/arrange a shared flat, if you can afford it, it sounds to me like a great way to mix with people and discover people with similar interests.
    I have not yet had the uni experience but this is what I pick up from friends and media reviews
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stanleyoldfield)
    people use their time at university to explore themselves and find out who they are as a person, however those like you seem to know your place in life already, and that's great! but just remember people mature at different rates
    as for moving to Hallam i would say there's no difference in terms of people you'll meet, they might perhaps be worse for you as it is lower in the league's.
    my advice is to move into halls/arrange a shared flat, if you can afford it, it sounds to me like a great way to mix with people and discover people with similar interests.
    I have not yet had the uni experience but this is what I pick up from friends and media reviews
    Most of friends are at Hallam and have a great time- these girls are like me and I feel like I miss out on so much. I don’t even think I’m bothered about the league drop

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.