Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why are people today so weak mentally? watch

Announcements

I get there's a rise in use of social media etc however, I'm curious

People (mainly young) get offended so easily and people seem to become so volatile and not keep their cool? Sometimes I feel that some people almost like to feel victimized? I live in brighton so this could be a factor? however, like I always get confused why people get so upset over the tiniest things and make out that they are always victims of a abuse, through sexism, racism, homophobia and general stereotypes? (there are a lot of exceptions) but I always think life could be so much worse and actually I should be greatful I live in a free country where I can express myself and not have to worry about terrorism or bombings?

Just like to add I'm quite liberal, I identify as a feminist and egalitarian I don't go around purposely trying to upset people

ReputationRep:
    it's how the cookie crumbles.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Whats that I smell? Oh yes its the stench of hypocrisy.

ReputationRep:
    it is indeed sad to see young people wandering around clutching their gadgets. the ability to concentrate for longer than 30 seconds is rapidly vanishing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

People (mainly young) get offended so easily and people seem to become so volatile and not keep their cool? Sometimes I feel that some people almost like to feel victimized? I live in brighton so this could be a factor? however, like I always get confused why people get so upset over the tiniest things and make out that they are always victims of a abuse, through sexism, racism, homophobia and general stereotypes? (there are a lot of exceptions) but I always think life could be so much worse and actually I should be greatful I live in a free country where I can express myself and not have to worry about terrorism or bombings?

Just like to add I'm quite liberal, I identify as a feminist and egalitarian I don't go around purposely trying to upset people
    The internet allows us to express ourselves in ways we wouldn’t in real life.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    it is indeed sad to see young people wandering around clutching their gadgets. the ability to concentrate forlonger than 30 seconds is rapidly vanishing.
    "That's not true?!" (she yells as she indignantly types on her smartphone )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gybuh)
    Nobody likes Salt vaginas. Please leave.
    Get a real account 😃

ReputationRep:
    Harmful stereotypes, sexism, racism and everything else you are referring to are harmful and no one deserves to suffer through these. There are studies which talk about the stress caused by these traumatic events and the effects it can have on health, e.g. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...lth-180963167/

Which group in particular are you targeting/talking about? If it's your average white SJW, perhaps it may make them feel good about themselves for 'standing up' for disadvantaged groups in society as they see their act as brave and courageous(although no one asked them to).

If you are talking about minority groups, I feel they reserve the right to protect and defend themselves and to call out negative behaviour towards them as unacceptable.

Of course we all are grateful for living in stable and peaceful countries. Then again, oppression is not a competition.

Its social media, people today are hugely influenced by what they see and also becoming more judgemental. The young are born into this digital world, where they know anything but a world without technology, idk I feel like there is an increase in young people having mental illnesses, we need to step away from technology or take it in moderation at least.

ReputationRep:
    I wish we live in a world where you could speak your mind. I respect people who are truthful and say things how they are. People are to scared to offend someone who will eventually leave their life and be meaningless

ReputationRep:
    The main problem is... these things you make out that people are making a big deal out of are actually genuine problems for individuals and so society. It’s the fact that some individuals are putting themselves in the limelight saying something about them having been victimised which then pisses everyone off because they said it in a particular way... then everyone with that issue starts fighting with them then everyone gets pissed off with everyone with that condition or problem or group. Which is stupid in itself because not every individual from those groups are going to be like that person.

Then everyone from our generation are branded snow flakes because everyone’s putting their inner thoughts online and fighting each other whereas before it was only on special occasions I.e. debating societies or tv debates.

Now there’s more of a voice for everyone and that pisses some people off... understandably but if you don’t like someone from a potentially vulnerable group having a voice then get off the bloody internet and mind your own business

ReputationRep:
    can’t stand ppl from Brighton and am from Brighton

ReputationRep:
    people have always been this way, but people are capitalizing on it with distractions and propaganda even more. population growth, stupid people are more likely to reproduce (or intelligent people less likely, whatever), = more susceptible people to ply with cheap thrills and less who take interest with society at large. less responsibility creates victim mentality.

maybe idk

ReputationRep:

Some people are simply mentally stronger than others, and that comes as no surprise. Have you noticed how strong-willed and determined some of us are, and that they would not let anything get in their way? On the other hand, have you noticed that some people are constantly complaining and making up excuses for their lives? That is the difference between a person that is mentally strong and one that is weak.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.