Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

English watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im failing english and i dont know what to do. i try a lot in english but its just not coming to me i do well in other subjects like maths/science/geography but english is different i just find it so difficult and im so bad at it the english teachers at my school are aware of how bad i am and try to help me but im still failing. Also its not just one specific area its all of english language and all of english literature so can anyone tell me what i can do to get better

ReputationRep:
    engage with the subject material, discuss it with peers and learn to structure your responses to questions in the way the exam wants you to. if you can, buy a revision guide for your course with example questions and model answers then try to recreate the elements that make those answers good on the questions you are set. read as many books as possible, be it fiction or nonfiction, people really underestimate how much just absorbing as much English as possible helps with your analytical and literacy skills
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    A fool-proof plan would be writing out every possible essay, theme & character, getting it checked so that it's a good grade, and then memorising it for the exam (I know that's probably unrealistic, but it's an idea). Or at least just practise technique and the AOs, which is often more important than your skill. Get that fancy terminology and pre-plan some deep ideas. Also, lots of Mr Bruff.

ReputationRep:
    Watch Mr Bruff on You Tube, he has a brilliant set of videos about the English language exams.

Read across genre, so read tabloid news papers and broadsheets, different books from the library, or pick them up dirt cheap in the charity shop. For the story imagine you are the main character.

Learn the technical devices, sentence structure adverbs, adverbial phrases, nouns, noun phrases, why paragraphs are written a certain way and things like forshadowing, mirroring and discourse markers. Go over your work to edit before handing it in.

Practice writing - it doesn't matter what - just write something whether it's an essay, a letter, a newspaper report etc.

Ask your teachers what specifically is the problem you have - if it's spelling then do work on that etc. You need to know where you have to improve and that means you need the specifics.

Have a positive mental attitude, it's a skill you can learn.

ReputationRep:
    Read books that’s what I did. I went from a D to an A in one year from reading books.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.