Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year nursing student and ever since I've started I've been having doubts about the course now to a point where I feel like I'm in the complete wrong course

I choose nursing because of the rewarding accept the fact that I can make a difference in people lives was important to me and that nursing would involve so much science (mostly biology) which I really reallly enjoy.

Once class started I knew I don't think it was for me there's not much actual science involved it's mostly human anatomy, being a nursing student is also exhausting your expected to learn so much information in a short time whilst going on these 12 hour shifts I don't mind being on my feet however I didn't think it would be this much the pain in my legs is excruciating I feel dranined my health is literally a joke because of this course. The only aspect I feel is promising is the fact that it is rewarding I guess some patients are so nice seeing them get better makes me very happy but that's about it.
    I don't enjoy classes either nothing at all is interesting to me not one bit.

I know placement is compulsory and once you qualify you can go where ever and there are good opportunities with a nursing degree however I'm scared I'll waste all these years only to find out I hate it even more I want to be sure that nursing is for me or not right now.

I've always had a love for science mostly biology and chemistry I did enjoy it in college although it was hard I found it so interesting which is why after some research I feel like biomedical science is for me I'm honestly just so scared I'm making a big mistake and I should stick to nursing

But tbh I really don't see myself enjoying nursing after I graduate I hope someone can help me and tell me if I'm being stupid since I'm only a year 1 student or if I should just go to bio medince.

ReputationRep:
    if you don't enjoy what you're doing there is no point forcing yourself through another however many years, you will only end up exhausted and miserable. far better to switch to a degree you feel is better suited to you after researching it properly and definitely biomedical science is an excellent course with lots of interest for someone who enjoys the sciences
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aesthete1)
    if you don't enjoy what you're doing there is no point forcing yourself through another however many years, you will only end up exhausted and miserable. far better to switch to a degree you feel is better suited to you after researching it properly and definitely biomedical science is an excellent course with lots of interest for someone who enjoys the sciences
    Your damn well right there's no point thank u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjama)
    I'm a first year nursing student and ever since I've started I've been having doubts about the course now to a point where I feel like I'm in the complete wrong course

I choose nursing because of the rewarding accept the fact that I can make a difference in people lives was important to me and that nursing would involve so much science (mostly biology) which I really reallly enjoy.

Once class started I knew I don't think it was for me there's not much actual science involved it's mostly human anatomy, being a nursing student is also exhausting your expected to learn so much information in a short time whilst going on these 12 hour shifts I don't mind being on my feet however I didn't think it would be this much the pain in my legs is excruciating I feel dranined my health is literally a joke because of this course. The only aspect I feel is promising is the fact that it is rewarding I guess some patients are so nice seeing them get better makes me very happy but that's about it.
    I don't enjoy classes either nothing at all is interesting to me not one bit.

I know placement is compulsory and once you qualify you can go where ever and there are good opportunities with a nursing degree however I'm scared I'll waste all these years only to find out I hate it even more I want to be sure that nursing is for me or not right now.

I've always had a love for science mostly biology and chemistry I did enjoy it in college although it was hard I found it so interesting which is why after some research I feel like biomedical science is for me I'm honestly just so scared I'm making a big mistake and I should stick to nursing

But tbh I really don't see myself enjoying nursing after I graduate I hope someone can help me and tell me if I'm being stupid since I'm only a year 1 student or if I should just go to bio medince.
    If you dont think the degree + (and more importantly) the career is for you then you should drop out but you should have a plan, you say a biomed degree will suit you more, have you looked at what you can go into after? as while a few people do go into relevant careers after with a biomed degree, a lot don't and go into general grad scheme careers, retrain with a master/different degree etc etc. you should enjoy the degree you do but also remember a degree is only 3 years long, your working life will be 45+ years long so make sure if leads to something you think you will enjoy

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 5, 2018

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.