Turn on thread page Beta

Are sports categories for disabled people fair? watch

Do you think that when it comes to sports for people who have a disability i.e. paralympics, that it is fair? I mean I totally agree that people who are physically impaired should be given the chance to compete and I have nothing against it but what Im asking is do you think it is fair? For example people of short stature (below a certain height) can compete in a classification due to dwarfism but short height affects a lot of people and makes them either good/bad at certain sport. For example Im only 4ft11 and pretty much always come last in the 100m sprint, 100m hurdles and other athletic events even though I apparently have a fast leg turnover and powerful legs, according to a physio. People always tell me that its my lack of height that lets me down. So when people have shortfalls due to certain conditions I don't know how they make the competition fair as obviously there will be variation within each category too. If that makes sense. Im not sure if I'm explained myself that well, I don't think so : /

ReputationRep:
    There are lots of people who are slightly better or worse genetically at sports. That doesn't make the paralympics unfair... people who qualify to compete there have serious disabilities, much more of an impediment than being a bit short.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Do you think that when it comes to sports for people who have a disability i.e. paralympics, that it is fair? I mean I totally agree that people who are physically impaired should be given the chance to compete and I have nothing against it but what Im asking is do you think it is fair? For example people of short stature (below a certain height) can compete in a classification due to dwarfism but short height affects a lot of people and makes them either good/bad at certain sport. For example Im only 4ft11 and pretty much always come last in the 100m sprint, 100m hurdles and other athletic events even though I apparently have a fast leg turnover and powerful legs, according to a physio. People always tell me that its my lack of height that lets me down. So when people have shortfalls due to certain conditions I don't know how they make the competition fair as obviously there will be variation within each category too. If that makes sense. Im not sure if I'm explained myself that well, I don't think so : /
    Being a little bit short doesn't affect your ability to compete against slightly taller athletes.

You'd have to be far shorter to qualify for the qualification of the paralympics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Being a little bit short doesn't affect your ability to compete against slightly taller athletes.

You'd have to be far shorter to qualify for the qualification of the paralympics.
    To be fair just looked it up a height of 140cm qualifies for the paralympics, 4ft11 is 149cm so theres not much of a difference. Some female sprinters/hurdlers are 180cm plus.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by inthedark1)
    To be fair just looked it up a height of 140cm qualifies for the paralympics, 4ft11 is 149cm so theres not much of a difference. Some female sprinters/hurdlers are 180cm plus.
    That's a huge difference.

I'm about 3cm taller than you and seriously wouldn't consider applying. Being short isn't a disability.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.