Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Solved.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    first one converge I guess,

because the denominator each term of the first series is atleast epsilon greater than the respective term' s denominator of the harmonic series, then by the harmonic series test, it should converge I believe. This is when b is assumed to be greater than 0. But when b is less than 0, the series sum diverges for the reason that its convergence is 'worse' than that of the harmonic series. At b=0, the series is harmonic series minus 1 which is infinity too.

for the second one, I guess it will converge too because atleast the term at r at infinity is approaching 0. Now all one needs to check is if the sum of these terms approaching 0 as r tends to infinity converges too. Then you can use binomial expansion on (1+1/r)^(r^2), then multiply that with 1/3^r, then by rearranging this completely positive termed series, we get back terms that look like terms of the harmonic series multiplied by something else (since you have 'b' all positive as r^2 is greater 0), the series will converge.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sajeth)
    first one converge I guess,

because the denominator each term of the first series is atleast epsilon greater than the respective term' s denominator of the harmonic series, then by the harmonic series test, it should converge I believe. This is when b is assumed to be greater than 0. But when b is less than 0, the series sum diverges for the reason that its convergence is 'worse' than that of the harmonic series. At b=0, the series is harmonic series minus 1 which is infinity too.
    No. The sum when b = 1 is a well known divergent series.

for the second one, I guess it will converge too because atleast the term at r at infinity is approaching 0. Now all one needs to check is if the sum of these terms approaching 0 as r tends to infinity converges too. Then you can use binomial expansion on (1+1/r)^(r^2), then multiply that with 1/3^r, then by rearranging this completely positive termed series, we get back terms that look like terms of the harmonic series multiplied by something else (since you have 'b' all positive as r^2 is greater 0), the series will converge.
    I can't follow what you're trying to say here at all. The (1+1/r)^(r^2) term will behave like e^r, so the fact that 3 > e is critical here. Your argument doesn't seem to acknowledge this at all.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.