Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Student from the US, trying to understand where my GPA fits in the UK Grading system. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm from the United States, and just recently earned my Bachelor's Degree in Political Science at a University here in the states. I'm looking into applying for my post-grad studies in the UK, but I don't quite know where I stand in the UK grading system. I graduated from my University with a Cumulative GPA of 3.29, how would I convert in the UK system?

Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sperry94)
    I'm from the United States, and just recently earned my Bachelor's Degree in Political Science at a University here in the states. I'm looking into applying for my post-grad studies in the UK, but I don't quite know where I stand in the UK grading system. I graduated from my University with a Cumulative GPA of 3.29, how would I convert in the UK system?

Many thanks!

a 2:1/lower 2nd
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

Many thanks!
    Roughly this:
    http://www.fulbright.org.uk/going-to...ture/academics

ReputationRep:
    A low 2:1.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Bang Outta Order Notorious B.I.G thread tidied.
    Let's keep it constructive please.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Many thanks!
    Hi Sperry94,

The information that they gave you is basically correct, and you can say that you got a 2:1, no worries. Where are you applying to? Just curious because I am an American student doing my Masters at Aston University in Translation Studies and would love to help if you had any questions about what it's like being an American in the UK or being over here and doing your Masters. Let me know!

Best,
    Julia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aston University)
    Hi Sperry94,

The information that they gave you is basically correct, and you can say that you got a 2:1, no worries. Where are you applying to? Just curious because I am an American student doing my Masters at Aston University in Translation Studies and would love to help if you had any questions about what it's like being an American in the UK or being over here and doing your Masters. Let me know!

Best,
    Julia
    Hey Julia,

Thank you for your reply! It's nice to hear from someone who is a fellow American studying in the UK. I am still in the process of really figuring out what is needed of me so I can successfully apply to a Masters programs in the UK. If I need certain paperwork, need to take a certain exam, etc. I know I want to study something along the lines of International Relations or Public Policy. It just seems like a very daunting task to get there!

-Sofia
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Hey Julia,

Thank you for your reply! It's nice to hear from someone who is a fellow American studying in the UK. I am still in the process of really figuring out what is needed of me so I can successfully apply to a Masters programs in the UK. If I need certain paperwork, need to take a certain exam, etc. I know I want to study something along the lines of International Relations or Public Policy. It just seems like a very daunting task to get there!

-Sofia
    At which university? The universities have individual entry requirements and they are usually pretty easy to follow.

It's unlikely you would need any additional exam assuming your undergraduate course is suitable for the postgrad you are applying for.

e.g. Surrey
    https://www.surrey.ac.uk/postgraduat...tions-msc-2018

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.