Turn on thread page Beta

So guys, I'm going to make this as concise and easy to follow as possible.

I am probably one of the smartest people of my age in the country. Yes, statistically. I'm not going to brag about my IQ or US SAT score or whatever because I'm not a douche. I'm taking 12 GCSEs and I'm projected A*s in them all. Everyone not only wants but expects for me to study Medicine at Oxbridge. I'm a swimmer and a violinist. The problem? I have aspergers. It's pretty mild, but an issue it causes me to have is generalised anxiety. I take my frustration out through "attacks" and I have since I was very young. I cannot control my outbursts and while they're never violent they lead to me getting very upset - almost like a panic attack.

My school is a mess when it comes to discipline. There's favouritism to the point that a guy didn't get any sort of punishment for being blatantly racist (used slurs and mocked) toward an Asian classmate when classmates reported it.
    Recently a teacher decided to needlessly, without reason, confiscate my phone as it was in my outer blazer pocket (not a reason for confiscation, never has been). I made the point very calmly that you can't do this as per the rules and that as it was a Friday I would have no means of contacting my parents in an emergency over the weekend. Cue a lot of anger from this teacher who demands I go and see my head of school. He keeps screaming at me while he marches me through the corridors and I begin to cry. I am marched into my head of school's office. The teacher decides to completely fabricate that I swore at him and insists that I should have to speak to the principal (COMPLETELY at odds to the school's disciplinary policy). After he leaves the head of school tells me that I am "disgusting and disgraceful." I get angry and state that I won't put up with being disrespected and walked out as by this point I'm in hysterics and there's no way I can calm down in his office with him breathing down my neck. At this point he phones my parents over my "abuse." I return and wait outside his door for half an hour- he gives me dirty looks through the window for this duration - humiliating the red faced me in the corridor - before actually letting me in. He begins to give me a lecture on how respect is a two way street to which I replied "I know, and I didn't say anything yet you called me disgusting." He launched into a tirade about my 'body language' and how he said my "behaviour" was disgusting. This is completely untrue as he literally said "you're disgusting." I am then told that I will have to speak to the principal due to my "issues with authority."

This isn't the first time events at school (all others have been with pupils) have caused me to get extremely upset and this reeks of insensitivity. The teachers have fabricated things but I won't even argue because it's my word against theirs and they won't believe me. Most of all, the actions being taken towards me fly in the face of the school discipline policy and usually a pupil is only sent to the principal if suspension is being considered- absolutely ridiculous as circumstances leading to suspension in my school are drugs, offensive weapons, smoking in uniform and fighting. If this action is taken against me - a literally stellar student - it will completely ruin my life in terms of uni references as this guy is the one who writes them for my year. What can I do?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, the educational system is sometimes an absolute mess. Especially in terms of teachers vs pupils word which is just frustrating. Clearly they have no idea how to properly cope with you. Have you spoken to your parents concerning the situation? Maybe they have advice
    I know it's not ideal, but moving school may help?? (this would be a absolute last resort however)
    Does your school not hand back confiscated phones at the end of the day? Next time just accept it and move on, arguing will never help the situation and a teacher rarely will admit they were in the wrong.
    I've no idea if any of this helps at all but I hope your situation improves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

I am probably one of the smartest people of my age in the country. Yes, statistically. I'm not going to brag about my IQ or US SAT score or whatever because I'm not a douche. I'm taking 12 GCSEs and I'm projected A*s in them all. Everyone not only wants but expects for me to study Medicine at Oxbridge. I'm a swimmer and a violinist. The problem? I have aspergers. It's pretty mild, but an issue it causes me to have is generalised anxiety. I take my frustration out through "attacks" and I have since I was very young. I cannot control my outbursts and while they're never violent they lead to me getting very upset - almost like a panic attack.

My school is a mess when it comes to discipline. There's favouritism to the point that a guy didn't get any sort of punishment for being blatantly racist (used slurs and mocked) toward an Asian classmate when classmates reported it.
    Recently a teacher decided to needlessly, without reason, confiscate my phone as it was in my outer blazer pocket (not a reason for confiscation, never has been). I made the point very calmly that you can't do this as per the rules and that as it was a Friday I would have no means of contacting my parents in an emergency over the weekend. Cue a lot of anger from this teacher who demands I go and see my head of school. He keeps screaming at me while he marches me through the corridors and I begin to cry. I am marched into my head of school's office. The teacher decides to completely fabricate that I swore at him and insists that I should have to speak to the principal (COMPLETELY at odds to the school's disciplinary policy). After he leaves the head of school tells me that I am "disgusting and disgraceful." I get angry and state that I won't put up with being disrespected and walked out as by this point I'm in hysterics and there's no way I can calm down in his office with him breathing down my neck. At this point he phones my parents over my "abuse." I return and wait outside his door for half an hour- he gives me dirty looks through the window for this duration - humiliating the red faced me in the corridor - before actually letting me in. He begins to give me a lecture on how respect is a two way street to which I replied "I know, and I didn't say anything yet you called me disgusting." He launched into a tirade about my 'body language' and how he said my "behaviour" was disgusting. This is completely untrue as he literally said "you're disgusting." I am then told that I will have to speak to the principal due to my "issues with authority."

This isn't the first time events at school (all others have been with pupils) have caused me to get extremely upset and this reeks of insensitivity. The teachers have fabricated things but I won't even argue because it's my word against theirs and they won't believe me. Most of all, the actions being taken towards me fly in the face of the school discipline policy and usually a pupil is only sent to the principal if suspension is being considered- absolutely ridiculous as circumstances leading to suspension in my school are drugs, offensive weapons, smoking in uniform and fighting. If this action is taken against me - a literally stellar student - it will completely ruin my life in terms of uni references as this guy is the one who writes them for my year. What can I do?
    good luck
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)

If you feel you are being mistreated you could get your parents to help you with making a report. Just bare in mind that could make people more pissy with you. I would find the policies that relate to how you have been treated and take your case to the governors. Just try not to bring up the whole smartness thing because it can come across as arrogant and intituled even if that's not how you mean it.
    Given your special needs (sorry if that's not the best term to use) you could probably try to work towards a more specific plan for you that respects you can get overwhelmed and gives you time to calm down before escalating it to things like punishments or seeing the principal.

That's what I think would be appropriate at least. Unfortunately schools can be quite thick headed at times.
    Whatever you do though get parents involved cos they will be a bit better at the right words to use etc since they're adults and have that bit more experience with people.

Good luck.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    They won't give a poor reference to an Oxbridge potential unless you literally start beating a teacher. It always looks good for schools to have students attend Oxbridge so they won't sabotage your application. It's possible this whole incident was a big misunderstanding. If you were having a panic attack you may well have come across as rude or having a bad attitude when actually you were just upset and panicking. The original issue of the phone in your pocket, well in lots of schools that would result in confiscation so it's possible the teacher was acting on norms rather than your schools own rules. Try not to stress about it so much, this will probably come to nothing.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.