Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I break up? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    why throw away a diamond just to play with some stones
    This is important and extends to various aspects of life.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hello, I am new to this forum and have had this on my mind for quite a while and need advice.

I am an 18 yr old guy and I will be going off to college this fall. My girlfriend and I have been best friends since I was a freshman in high school (4 years), and have been dating for about 2 years. We were ‘friends with benefits’ for the 2 years prior to us being in a relationship. She has been my only girlfriend up until now, and I love her to death. We have been through so much together and have grown tremendously as individuals together. But, as college approaches I am starting to wonder if I should continue the relationship. I am still so young and want to experience what it is like to date other people (as bad as that sounds). I love her very much, and can see us raising a family together one day, but my curiosity of what it would be like to be single through college won’t go away. I guess I don’t want to miss out on the “college experience” of being a free individual.

This is funny because I hate the thought of breaking up with her; she’s my best friend and I’ve never been closer with anyone else. I’d be lying if I didn’t say the curiosity of being sexual with another girl wasn’t there (again that sounds bad), but I feel as though it’s a normal thought as I haven’t had many other relationships. I love her, but I’m not sure if I’m ready to be tied down to a long term relationship so young. I want to do what’s going to be best for me, I want to experience my life fully. Any suggestions on what to do?
    Let her go so she can find someone more loyal

ReputationRep:
    Wise words mate - OP take heed.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am new to this forum and have had this on my mind for quite a while and need advice.

I am an 18 yr old guy and I will be going off to college this fall. My girlfriend and I have been best friends since I was a freshman in high school (4 years), and have been dating for about 2 years. We were ‘friends with benefits’ for the 2 years prior to us being in a relationship. She has been my only girlfriend up until now, and I love her to death. We have been through so much together and have grown tremendously as individuals together. But, as college approaches I am starting to wonder if I should continue the relationship. I am still so young and want to experience what it is like to date other people (as bad as that sounds). I love her very much, and can see us raising a family together one day, but my curiosity of what it would be like to be single through college won’t go away. I guess I don’t want to miss out on the “college experience” of being a free individual.

This is funny because I hate the thought of breaking up with her; she’s my best friend and I’ve never been closer with anyone else. I’d be lying if I didn’t say the curiosity of being sexual with another girl wasn’t there (again that sounds bad), but I feel as though it’s a normal thought as I haven’t had many other relationships. I love her, but I’m not sure if I’m ready to be tied down to a long term relationship so young. I want to do what’s going to be best for me, I want to experience my life fully. Any suggestions on what to do?
    Stay with her she sounds like a really caring girlfriend. Dont have any kids for a bit because the relationship might end up not working. Stay with her because you deserve someone as lovely as her. Can i have her number please. XXXXXXXXX

If you love her then don't break up with her!! It'll just make both of you really depressed!

ReputationRep:
    If you see being single at college as being a 'free individual', there's something wrong right there. I'd end it because that communicates to me that the relationship could feel like a burden to you and, consequently her, because you'll likely end up subtly communicating that to her. Just my not-so-humble 2 cents.

You got this.

ReputationRep:
    If you truly loved each other you’d look for ways around it... If you think you’re going to get lots of hookups at uni you need a reality check

ReputationRep:
    ooooh, such a powerful quote!

ReputationRep:
    if you truly love her to death you wouldn't want anyone else.
    so please, don't hurt her, either break up with her or carefully reconsider your feelings.

ReputationRep:
    Splitting up with her is kinder than cheating, as your curiosity cannot be ignored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous)
    hello, i am new to this forum and have had this on my mind for quite a while and need advice.

I am an 18 yr old guy and i will be going off to college this fall. My girlfriend and i have been best friends since i was a freshman in high school (4 years), and have been dating for about 2 years. We were ‘friends with benefits’ for the 2 years prior to us being in a relationship. She has been my only girlfriend up until now, and i love her to death. We have been through so much together and have grown tremendously as individuals together. But, as college approaches i am starting to wonder if i should continue the relationship. I am still so young and want to experience what it is like to date other people (as bad as that sounds). I love her very much, and can see us raising a family together one day, but my curiosity of what it would be like to be single through college won’t go away. I guess i don’t want to miss out on the “college experience” of being a free individual.

This is funny because i hate the thought of breaking up with her; she’s my best friend and i’ve never been closer with anyone else. I’d be lying if i didn’t say the curiosity of being sexual with another girl wasn’t there (again that sounds bad), but i feel as though it’s a normal thought as i haven’t had many other relationships. I love her, but i’m not sure if i’m ready to be tied down to a long term relationship so young. I want to do what’s going to be best for me, i want to experience my life fully. Any suggestions on what to do?
    I get it and it is a dilema when u r tied in this situation but then close your eyes think how you feel ABOUT her..how she makes you happy or laugh..think about her beauty not appearance but internally; her heart her brain her emotions..and u said u l.o.v.e well then if u really see a future with her to raise a family the answer to your question is very simply…
    NEVER EVER LEAVE HER….! LOVE HER till death and even after that..treat her like a doll , a princess, a queen and even a baby!
    And u said u do not want to miss "college experience" well whatever u wanna do, do it with ur girlfriend..break rules party late with friends…dont forget before a life partner she was your partner in crime, your best friend so enjoy every single moments with her cuase it takes years and even an eternity to find someone who will truly love you whole heartedly…
    then lets come to your next and probably last worry ..u want to "explore relationships but not break her heart" but will that be fair to her ?and what if you realised that she was the one and only … see buddy razor like words can never be returned similarly if u hurt her she might never come back….do u wanna lose her?will you be able to stay without her?
    Challenges have to be there in life but imagine how blessed you are to find love, to find someone you can share you fears , your dreams, your thoughts , yourself!

#hope it helped you
    #please let me know what you felt after reading this
    #dont let her go

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.