Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Many graduates earn 'paltry returns' for their degree watch

ReputationRep:
    "Many graduates receive "paltry returns" for their degrees despite racking up £50,000 in debt, says the chairman of the Education Select Committee.

Robert Halfon will say in a speech on Monday, that between a fifth and a third of graduates take non-graduate jobs, and that any extra returns for having a degree "vary wildly".

He will also suggest that too many people are studying academic degrees.

University leaders maintain that a degree remains an excellent investment."

FULL STORY: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42923529

What do you make of this issue?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Man with a BA and an MA in politics states that too many young people are getting degrees in non-vocational subjects.

Man whose government tripled fees and who voted in favour of that change states that degrees are now too expensive.

Seems legit :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    Too many left wig students do gender studies and media studies and wonder why they are unemployable.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Less people are doing degrees because of the uncertainty of debt, because of this Degrees are becoming worthless in the employment sector because there are too many people without it.
    So people without degrees are being accepted into jobs because they have "experience", therefore making people with degrees worthless.

Blame this on the Tories for trebling tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps not enough research into what degrees lead to decent careers and incomes.
    Men ( no not all) tend to chase money at the expense of a life balance, women tend ( no not all) to go for less demanding choices with a better life balance.
    It would be interesting to see a gender breakdown of who is and isn't earning in their chosen fields.
    I know many Unis boast the % of their Grads that found jobs neglecting to mention that many are working as waiters/waitresses.
    It must be soul destroying to take on so much debt for no reason.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Students study Gender Politics and Fashion and Design instead of Electrical Engineering and wonder why they earn **** all.

ReputationRep:
    Too many people with degrees, too many people who take economically uncompetitive subjects. It's an unfavorable unbalance of supply and demand with a predictable result: lots of unemployed graduates with liberal arts degrees who feel entitled to a high-paying career and blame the Tories for everything wrong with their lives.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Texxers)
    Students study Gender Politics and Fashion and Design instead of Electrical Engineering and wonder why they earn **** all.
    it's funny because engineering doesn't even pay that well in the UK and is super competitive nowadays vs before.

there are certainly a fair number of eng grads working as baristas

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    it's funny because engineering doesn't even pay that well in the UK and is super competitive nowadays vs before.

there are certainly a fair number of eng grads working as baristas

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you actually even daring to imply that Gender Politics = Engineering :lol: ?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Are you actually even daring to imply that Gender Politics = Engineering :lol: ?
    no i'm saying an engineering degree is no meal ticket to a good life in the uk
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    How many gender politics graduates do you think there are entering the UK labour market each year?

I'll bet you that there's more engineering grads in minimum wage jobs than gender studies/politics grads in the UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    I'll bet you that there's more engineering grads in minimum wage jobs than gender studies/politics grads in the UK
    The answer to this is that you should look into the graduate recruitment market before you take the degree.

You should be able to have a rough idea of whether you're going to be able to compete in an industry ahead of time.

It remains that graduates who earn 'paltry returns' for their degrees have most likely made poor decisions somewhere along the line.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    The answer to this is that you should look into the graduate recruitment market before you take the degree.

You should be able to have a rough idea of whether you're going to be able to compete in an industry ahead of time.

It remains that graduates who earn 'paltry returns' for their degrees have most likely made poor decisions somewhere along the line.
    The “answer “ is for TSR members not to talk a load of crap about the employment prospects of a subject that isn’t available at undergraduate level in the uk.

You could fit the graduates of all gender studies degrees in the uk over the past decade on a single decker bus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    The “answer “ is for TSR members not to talk a load of crap about the employment prospects of a subject that isn’t available at undergraduate level in the uk.

You could fit the graduates of all gender studies degrees in the uk over the past decade on a single decker bus.
    Look I'm sorry if someone upset you by using a subject you value as an example, but the wider point about people taking degrees which aren't particularly valued by employers and then being surprised or upset that they don't yield great financial returns is a valid one.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Look I'm sorry if someone upset you by using a subject you value as an example, but the wider point about people taking degrees which aren't particularly valued by employers and then being surprised or upset that they don't yield great financial returns is a valid one.
    If you’re not interested in engaging in my point about gender studies being an irrelevant example then don’t quote that point next time with your “insight” into something completely different. Quote the OP instead.

To address your point:

Except the people making those points always mean that other people shouldn’t take those courses/degrees. The MP in question took an academic degree (two in fact) and voted in favour of raising tuition fees. If he’s so concerned about young people getting into debt then maybe he should be using his votes on tuition fees to keep student debt lower and not vote in favour of scrapping funding to schools careers services. His speech was full of as much ******** as this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If you’re not interested in engaging in my point about gender studies being an irrelevant example then don’t quote that point next time with your “insight” into something completely different. Quote the OP instead.
    That's not how forums work. Your post raised a matter I wanted to address.

To address your point:

Except the people making those points always mean that other people shouldn’t take those courses/degrees.
    I am unconvinced. There's a difference between saying that people shouldn't take particular degrees as an absolute and saying that it would generally be ill advised from a purely financial perspective to do so. I'm sure that for someone who really loves art history it could be a highly rewarding and worthwhile experience to spend three years studying it at university. They just shouldn't necessarily expect their degree to help them bring in the big bucks afterwards.

The MP in question took an academic degree (two in fact) and voted in favour of raising tuition fees. If he’s so concerned about young people getting into debt then maybe he should be using his votes on tuition fees to keep student debt lower and not vote in favour of scrapping funding to schools careers services. His speech was full of as much ******** as this thread.
    I don't think the MP's personal choices bear upon his points about the general trends one way or another.

In fact I think most of this is very much off-point.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not studying engineering, mathematics, or a classical subject you are wasting your time
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Reiji)
    If you're not studying engineering, mathematics, or a classical subject you are wasting your time
    In other words, STEM masterace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Seems legit :indiff:
    hehe. Says woman with career in academic administration and a vested interest in keeping the industry moving.

The truth, I think, is that the UK economy does not (and probably never can) generate jobs that truly require graduates to fill them to the extent of employing the number of graduates that the country is turning out. As a consequence they take the sort of jobs that were formerly taken by school-leavers at age 16, or those previously filled by A-level holders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    hehe. Says woman with career in academic administration and a vested interest in keeping the industry moving.

The truth, I think, is that the UK economy does not (and probably never can) generate jobs that truly require graduates to fill them to the extent of employing the number of graduates that the country is turning out. As a consequence they take the sort of jobs that were formerly taken by school-leavers at age 16, or those previously filled by A-level holders.
    How low do you have to go to insult someone’s degree and job? Don’t you have any dignity or respect for others and maybe think they do these jobs to earn money to survive. I can’t believe people like you exist
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.