Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all.

I am due to start a postgraduate degree in Bournemouth in September. I have accepted my place, and am currently looking for a house with a group of girls.

I currently work and live in London, so will be moving over early September. My problem is however I currently live in an overdraft, and after looking at numbers in terms of loans (I should eligible for the max loan), scholarship from Bournemouth Uni (again, should be eligible), and other financial factors, it looks like I'm going to have to open a student bank account with a £1,500 overdraft. Even then, I'm going to be struggling, living off of around £50 a week.

I know that's do-able, but it's obviously not an ideal situation. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any extra financial support going? I am going to look for a part-time job when I start my course, and I've looked into scholarships for Masters elsewhere, though I don't seem to be eligible. Any help or advice is much appreciated!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by UniqueWithATwist)
    Hi all.

I am due to start a postgraduate degree in Bournemouth in September. I have accepted my place, and am currently looking for a house with a group of girls.

I currently work and live in London, so will be moving over early September. My problem is however I currently live in an overdraft, and after looking at numbers in terms of loans (I should eligible for the max loan), scholarship from Bournemouth Uni (again, should be eligible), and other financial factors, it looks like I'm going to have to open a student bank account with a £1,500 overdraft. Even then, I'm going to be struggling, living off of around £50 a week.

I know that's do-able, but it's obviously not an ideal situation. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any extra financial support going? I am going to look for a part-time job when I start my course, and I've looked into scholarships for Masters elsewhere, though I don't seem to be eligible. Any help or advice is much appreciated!
    What about a career development loan? Is there a reason why you need to do the masters now and not later when you're in a better financial position?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    What about a career development loan? Is there a reason why you need to do the masters now and not later when you're in a better financial position?
    What is a career development plan, and how does it work?

And honestly no I don't have a particular reason, other than I want to learn more about my industry in order to secure a job with a higher position, and work on a project that I have lost touch with since my undergraduate degree. It's just something I've wanted to do for a while
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    What is a career development plan, and how does it work?

And honestly no I don't have a particular reason, other than I want to learn more about my industry in order to secure a job with a higher position, and work on a project that I have lost touch with since my undergraduate degree. It's just something I've wanted to do for a while
    Here you go.

In that case I would wait, save and then go to do the masters.

ReputationRep:
    I am in a really similar position to you. I am currently in the third year of my BSc and really worrying about how I'll survive financially when I start my MSc this September. Depending on the topic/type of degree you are doing, you may be eligible for funding through a research council. If you're not sure if research council funding if applies to you or the course, just contact the course leader . Right now I am getting money together through part-time work, selling stuff on Ebay and generally just being as thrifty as I can!

ReputationRep:
    I really want to do my Masters this year. I know I don't have to do it this year, but I'm not happy with my current situation, as there's no way to progress with it. I know 'wanting' to do my Masters isn't a necessarily a reason to do it this year, but it's a passion I do want to follow

I'll have a look at research councils. My course is Creative Writing and Publishing however, so I'm not sure if there will be much in that field. But I'll definitely get in touch with the course leader and see if they can help. eBay is also a good shout haha!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi all.

Hi there!
    My name is Alice and I'm a first year student at Bournemouth University, congratulations on getting a place by the way!
    It sounds like you are doing all the right things in terms of Student Finance, have you phoned them to see if they can offer you any advice? Also, BU tend to have job vacancies available for students that they advertise on their website via MyCareerHub during the summer before you start the academic year.
    For example, when you receive your student ID number and password you can visit MyCareerHub via this link:
    https://mycareerhub.bournemouth.ac.u...tudents%2fjobs and they advertise part time jobs.
    Hope this helps!
    Alice
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi all.

Hi UniqueWithATwist,

Can I ask what is the course/qualification that you will receive. Is it at Masters level?

Regards Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rona,I will be studying a Masters in Creative Writing and Publishing. I already have an undergrad degree (again in Creative writing and publishing), and achieved a 2:1.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Rona,I will be studying a Masters in Creative Writing and Publishing. I already have an undergrad degree (again in Creative writing and publishing), and achieved a 2:1.
    Hi UniqueWithATwist,

As you are studying at Masters level then you can apply from summer for the Postgraduate Loan of up to £10,609 for 2018.

It is a contribution loan that is paid directly into your bank, to help with course fees and living costs.

Here is a link for more information and how to apply, other sources of support etc

http://bit.ly/2nQpgLM

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rona,I am already aware of the postgraduate loan, and will be applying for it when applications open. But I am looking for further financial help, as the loan has to cover tuition fees, as well as living costs. If you could point me in the direction of any further loans/bursaries/scholdarships, it would be much appreciated Thanks!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Rona,I am already aware of the postgraduate loan, and will be applying for it when applications open. But I am looking for further financial help, as the loan has to cover tuition fees, as well as living costs. If you could point me in the direction of any further loans/bursaries/scholdarships, it would be much appreciated Thanks!
    Hi UniqueWithATwist,

The only other product available with the Postgraduate Loan is Disability Students Allowance (DSA), if you have a disability or learning difficulty you can apply for DSA.

You would need to speak to the university regarding any scholarships or bursaries.

Charities and trusts sometimes provide grants, often for students from poorer backgrounds or those who’ve achieved academic excellence. Find out more at your local library in these publications:
    • the Educational Grants Directory
    • the Charities Digest
    • the Grants Register
    • the Directory of Grant Making Trusts

You can also use the FAMILY ACTION SEARCH, here is a link to take you there,

http://bit.ly/2sl4bxI

You might be able to get funding from:
    • an individual - sometimes people donate awards to help postgraduates (these are usually offered through your university or college)
    • your employer - they might sponsor you if the course is relevant to your job
    • a Disabled Students Allowance
    • a Professional and Career Development Loan

I hope this helps.

Regards Rona

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.