The Student Room Group

Can gay and straight men be friends?

Scroll to see replies

Any gay people on here that can give some input? What types of people are you friends with? How is the dynamic?

Thanks!
:smile:
Found out hard way often that best friends (girls) and I (straight male) have often confused feelings for each other and it has lead to stressful and heart aching situations hence why people often say people of two different genders can't ever be best friends. However, often found referring to them as sister etc. kills all intentions drunk or not. Applying that to your situation it may be that the gay individual won't even find the straight guy attractive so that would never cross his mind. But I don't see anything wrong with it or why it shouldn't work out.
Reply 22
So it looks you cannot be "just friends" with gay men because they all find you too irresistible lol

I got served by a cashier the other day, as soon as he started speaking I could tell that he was gay. I don't know, perhaps I was being big headed or something but I thought to myself this guy is gonna fancy me, i'm gonna notice him checking me out soon or something. But there was nothing, absolutely nothing. No indication at all that he wanted a piece of me. I am straight, ...but I could not help but feel somewhat offended he didn't fancy me [even though I had no romantic interest in him at all]

the gay guy delivered a knock to my ego I guess. But tbh it was my fault for thinking he would automatically want a piece of me lol
Reply 23
Original post by DecagonX
No, you can't be friends with the gender you are attracted to. It is a fact of nature.

...So bisexuals can't have any friends at all? :frown:

For real tho this logic makes sexuality seem miserable.
Just because you happen to be attracted to individuals within a certain gender, doesn't mean you can't potentially be pals with the billions of other people of that gender.
(edited 6 years ago)
youre good looking for your age so i can see why :colonhash:
Original post by Chichaldo
Yes, of course. Just because someone is gay doesn't mean they like every male in that way.

Indeed. Contrary to what some straight guys think.
Original post by Joe2001
we simply don't have anything in common, so he doesn't count. I am friendly with people, but not friends with them.

More the reason to be friends with them right? I don't like always hanging with people who have similar likes and interests because it's just becomes boring, I want to expand my love for people and I want to hangout with lots of people who are completely different especially towards me. I generally love people and differences can make certain subjects boring however, I like to discover how they may have different interests and whats preventing me to like it. I'm attracted to 'men' however hanging with straight men feels better especially if you don't want anyone in the friend-zone to be hitting on you. :biggrin:
Original post by Joe2001
I should explain a bit further on this then. I personally don't feel that straight guys and gay guys would have much in common, nor do I personally feel comfortable being friends with straight guys, especially the "lads". They are the worst of all and I can 90% guarantee that they would feel uncomfortable befriending a gay guy.

I don't really have much friends - my main aim is to make a lot of gay friends when I get to uni. Also, FWIW, of the people I am friendly with, there is only one whom I am attracted to.

About 90% wouldn't give a ****

By saying you want to make a lot of gay friends at uni it sounds like you're closing yourself off from a huge number of potential friends and become part of the perceived problem you're complaning about
I'm straight and the only people that have said they have crush on me have been gay people. I'm I cursed?
Original post by TrelaiBoy
About 90% wouldn't give a ****

By saying you want to make a lot of gay friends at uni it sounds like you're closing yourself off from a huge number of potential friends and become part of the perceived problem you're complaning about

I'm not closing myself off from people if I am not friendship material for them or if I have nothing in common with them.
Does a bear **** from it's *******?
Original post by Joe2001
I'm not closing myself off from people if I am not friendship material for them or if I have nothing in common with them.

There is no way you have nothing in common with all the straight people yo'll go to uni with

Most people don't care about other people's sexuality, you really shouldn't let that get in the way of meeting people
Original post by TrelaiBoy
There is no way you have nothing in common with all the straight people yo'll go to uni with

Most people don't care about other people's sexuality, you really shouldn't let that get in the way of meeting people

Again, depends on the person. I still feel that sexuality does make it harder to be friends with others and the vibe would be completely off if I was friends with a straight guy. I would certainly be limiting conversational topics.
Original post by Joe2001
I can 90% guarantee that they would feel uncomfortable befriending a gay guy.

Most men I know wouldn't have a problem with it. I certainly don't. I have a number of gay friends and it really doesn't bother me.
Original post by Manitude
Most men I know wouldn't have a problem with it. I certainly don't. I have a number of gay friends and it really doesn't bother me.

That people who I am 90% sure are not OK with gay friends are the blokeish, lad types. If my experiences around these types of people mean anything, then I can confirm that they do dislike gay guys, and would not want to befriend one. I have nothing in common with them anyway, so I don't even bother there.
Hmmm,finally found a good looking brah here.
I can confirm it was getting lonely here.
Original post by DecagonX
No, you can't be friends with the gender you are attracted to. It is a fact of nature.

That’s a load of boll*cks. Of course you can be friends with the gender to which you are attracted.
Reply 37
Original post by Andrew97
That’s a load of boll*cks. Of course you can be friends with the gender to which you are attracted.

Seems we would be good friends in person, people are absolutely outrageous.:biggrin:
from what I gather you are just looking for people to justify you not wanting to be friends with any men. People becomes friends because the like each other, share the same interest and hobbies and generally just like talking to each other, gender is not an important factor, if at all not even a factor. So if you want to be friends with females be friends with female, if you want to be friends the male be friends with male cause 95% of the people don't care about your gender or sexual preferences
Original post by Andrew97

s a r c a s m

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending