Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm making a YouTube video this week about abortions. I want to answer people's questions really honestly. What would you like to ask someone who's had one?

ReputationRep:
    What was the process like? Was there a lot of emotional support provided to you and did it seem quite informal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vylaqueen)
    What was the process like? Was there a lot of emotional support provided to you and did it seem quite informal?

I had varying amounts of support from different people and places. My abortion was with BPAS and they were really kind and supportive! My employers were really supportive too.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What thoughts went through your mind when you were deciding to have one?
    Was the father involved in the decision, if so, was he supportive, or how did he feel?
    Do you have any level of regret about your decision?
    Why did you choose to have one?
    Did you tell anyone you were pregnant and/or having an abortion?
    What was the process for having one?
    What was the recovery like?
    How did you feel afterwards?

Sorry for all the questions - I'm not pregnant! I'm just curious, because you never know when contraception will fail, so it's good to be informed just in case.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Do you feel like many people judge you for having an abortion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    What thoughts went through your mind when you were deciding to have one?
    Was the father involved in the decision, if so, was he supportive, or how did he feel?
    Do you have any level of regret about your decision?
    Why did you choose to have one?
    Did you tell anyone you were pregnant and/or having an abortion?
    What was the process for having one?
    What was the recovery like?
    How did you feel afterwards?

Sorry for all the questions - I'm not pregnant! I'm just curious, because you never know when contraception will fail, so it's good to be informed just in case.

I totally agree about being informed just in case!

I didn’t know the person I’d had sex with and had no way of contacting them so I made the decision by myself.

I don’t regret my decision at all, although some people do. There’s a great exhibition called ‘my body my life’ - they have a website with lots of different abortion stories on and you can see how different peoples’ experiences can be.

I had an abortion because I wasn’t ready to have a baby, I didn’t want one at the time, couldn’t have looked after it, had an eating disorder and didn’t want to put my body through it.

I told my friends and family, who were really supportive, and people at work. They were all brilliant and really supportive. It ended up being quite a complicated abortion so I’m really glad they knew because I had to take some time off.

The recovery was fine - I had a medical abortion first, which is where you take two pills - one to terminate the pregnancy and one to cause a kind of miscarriage. I was unlucky in that it wasn’t fully successful and I had to have a surgical abortion afterwards to remove tissue from my womb. That meant having “conscious sedation” where I was partially anaesthetised. The recovery from that was quite painful, although I had the coil fitted at the same time so it was kind of a double whammy.

Is it OK if I use your questions in my video?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Do you feel like many people judge you for having an abortion?
    I haven't felt way with anyone I've met or spoken to about it, but I'm lucky because I work in sexual health and my friends think similarly to me. I know that lots of people have different experiences, though - I'm very fortunate that people were so supportive of me
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jb10000)
    I totally agree about being informed just in case!

I didn’t know the person I’d had sex with and had no way of contacting them so I made the decision by myself.

I don’t regret my decision at all, although some people do. There’s a great exhibition called ‘my body my life’ - they have a website with lots of different abortion stories on and you can see how different peoples’ experiences can be.

I had an abortion because I wasn’t ready to have a baby, I didn’t want one at the time, couldn’t have looked after it, had an eating disorder and didn’t want to put my body through it.

I told my friends and family, who were really supportive, and people at work. They were all brilliant and really supportive. It ended up being quite a complicated abortion so I’m really glad they knew because I had to take some time off.

The recovery was fine - I had a medical abortion first, which is where you take two pills - one to terminate the pregnancy and one to cause a kind of miscarriage. I was unlucky in that it wasn’t fully successful and I had to have a surgical abortion afterwards to remove tissue from my womb. That meant having “conscious sedation” where I was partially anaesthetised. The recovery from that was quite painful, although I had the coil fitted at the same time so it was kind of a double whammy.

Is it OK if I use your questions in my video?

Thanks!
    Yeah of course as long as they're anonymous.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Was it as good as mine? Seriously lol mine was so professional and quick. General anesthetic. Never once regretted it.
    I'm childfree and would recommend it to every single pregnant person.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.