The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Usualsuspects, I don't need to explain the situation to you any further (and I have grown weary of your constant contradictions). If you choose to overlook what I and others have said, then that's your decision. But, you are not kidding almost anyone here (myself included) that you have any decent/legitimate reason not to give your mother gifts anymore.
Deal with it.
There are people whos mothers are dead or not in thier lives who would do anything to buy them a gift and have nothing but thier time in return. Its my suggestion that you be more respectful and keep your selfish views to yourself in future.
You are not a child. You are an adult. You made the adult choice to go to university rather than enter the world of work, and your mum should not be held responsible for subsidising you through that. Get your maintenance loan, get a job, and earn your way. £200 for christmas and birthday is WAAAY more than most parents give their children at our age.

It is a shame your mum is ungrateful. Maybe give her money of gift cards instead to avoid disappointment?
Is this a joke? Be a man and pay for your own life. Mummys little boy having a temper tantrum. Probably never experienced a day in the real world. I managed to travel, work and study at uni just fine on my own i would never have even dreamed of scrounging off my parents. Suck it up pay your own way as your parents wont be here forever and then who are going to live off.
Reply 104
Original post by Lyssie33
Is this a joke? Be a man and pay for your own life. Mummys little boy having a temper tantrum. Probably never experienced a day in the real world. I managed to travel, work and study at uni just fine on my own i would never have even dreamed of scrounging off my parents. Suck it up pay your own way as your parents wont be here forever and then who are going to live off.

The inheritance, darling
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 105
Original post by uptownpunkk
You are not a child. You are an adult. You made the adult choice to go to university rather than enter the world of work, and your mum should not be held responsible for subsidising you through that. Get your maintenance loan, get a job, and earn your way. £200 for christmas and birthday is WAAAY more than most parents give their children at our age.

It is a shame your mum is ungrateful. Maybe give her money of gift cards instead to avoid disappointment?

Why should I work if I can afford not to?
Original post by usualsuspects
Why should I work if I can afford not to?

If you can afford not to work, you can afford to buy your mum a birthday present.

You do realise there's people a lot worse off than you that buy their mum presents, right?
The inheritance, darling

Inheritance doesn't last forever.

As far as I can see, you literally only see your parents as monetary value.

Have you ever thought your mum might have contributed if she was asked, but your dad just took over and pays all of your allowance?

No one said you have to use your Trust Fund now. Man, I've had a Trust Fund of inheritance when I was 8 and aside from buying 1 car I haven't touched it since. Instead I have a part time job that keeps me relatively comfortable while I continue my studies. -- The Trust Fund is my security blanket for post-graduation. Because you know... not everyone is guaranteed a job straight away after uni, even if you think that's not the case.
You really are the epitome of a whiny, selfish manchild! Try having a Mother who was an alcoholic with severe bi-polar, in and out of hospital and multiple suicide attempts. So desperate and lonely and this made your childhood very difficult. Try having to support her and be the parent, try supporting yourself without ANY help from your parents from 16yrs old, Christmas or not. Try working from the age of 15 and living day to day deciding whether to feed the family pet you inherited, or yourself because you only have enough money to feed one of you. Christmas or not. But imagine that this Mother did her very best and you knew she loved you because you’re alive and they are there for you.

Try getting ugly pyjamas and clothes that don’t fit and things for Christmas you will never use and didn’t ask for, because your Mum loved them and wanted you to love them too. Now try imagining finding your Mother dead on the kitchen floor, knowing she died alone and sad. Imagine not receiving those silly gifts at Christmas anymore and knowing you would give anything to have just one more of Mum’s silly Xmas gifts to giggle at with her again!

You are ungrateful, spoilt, entitled and selfish. You are a disgrace and your Mum deserves better. Stop living off your parents, they owe you NOTHING!! You’re not going to Uni for them, you are doing it for YOURSELF! And sponging off them at every turn. YOU ARE THE OPPORTUNISTIC ONE!!

I don’t give a damn what you’re ‘planning’ to do after Uni, you are all mouth. Get a job at MaccyD’s like every other self respecting, hard working student and quit your whining!

Use Daddy’s money to buy her something nice. OR better still, take her a little bunch of flowers when you go to see her each time and give her a kiss and tell her you love her. Because believe me, when she’s gone, you are going to regret the day you wrote this post.

Thank you for your answer. Bold sounds exactly like the arguments my mother uses when I question her expectations of a gift.

Actually, I do believe I'm a grateful person. I am also not independent by any means, I'm not dependent on her specifically because of her own faults, so you can't consider that "independence" as a reason to buy her gifts.

You do not know the full extent of my relationship with my mother, or what she has said regarding the circumstances of my birth and existence. The roofs were provided for her by my grandparents. You should take this into consideration before judging me, but that wasn't the point of the thread, I was not asking to be judged. What I wanted to know was whether it was normal for parents, and you did answer.

My gifts are generally not cheap, not sure why you assumed otherwise. Anyway, it's the thought that matters.
You really are the epitome of a whiny, selfish manchild! Try having a Mother who was an alcoholic with severe bi-polar, in and out of hospital and multiple suicide attempts. So desperate and lonely and this made your childhood very difficult. Try having to support her and be the parent, try supporting yourself without ANY help from your parents from 16yrs old, Christmas or not. Try working from the age of 15 and living day to day deciding whether to feed the family pet you inherited, or yourself because you only have enough money to feed one of you. But imagine that this Mother did her very best and you knew she loved you because you’re alive and they are there for you.

Try getting ugly pyjamas and clothes that don’t fit and things for Christmas you will never use and didn’t ask for, because your Mum loved them and wanted you to love them too. Now try imagining finding your Mother dead on the kitchen floor, knowing she died alone and sad. Imagine not receiving those silly gifts at Christmas anymore and knowing you would give anything to have just one more of Mum’s silly Xmas gifts to giggle at with her again!

You are ungrateful, spoilt, entitled and selfish. You are a disgrace and your Mum deserves better. Stop living off your parents, they owe you NOTHING!! You’re not going to Uni for them, you are doing it for YOURSELF! And sponging off them at every turn. YOU ARE THE OPPORTUNISTIC ONE!!

I don’t give a damn what you’re ‘planning’ to do after Uni, you are all mouth. Get a job at MaccyD’s like every other self respecting, hard working student and quit your whining!

Use Daddy’s money to buy her something nice. OR better still, take her a little bunch of flowers when you go to see her each time and give her a kiss and tell her you love her. Because believe me, when she’s gone, you are going to regret the day you wrote this post.

Thank you for your answer. Bold sounds exactly like the arguments my mother uses when I question her expectations of a gift.

Actually, I do believe I'm a grateful person. I am also not independent by any means, I'm not dependent on her specifically because of her own faults, so you can't consider that "independence" as a reason to buy her gifts.

You do not know the full extent of my relationship with my mother, or what she has said regarding the circumstances of my birth and existence. The roofs were provided for her by my grandparents. You should take this into consideration before judging me, but that wasn't the point of the thread, I was not asking to be judged. What I wanted to know was whether it was normal for parents, and you did answer.

My gifts are generally not cheap, not sure why you assumed otherwise. Anyway, it's the thought that matters.
I live overseas and go to uni in the UK, so what I do is I only get my family presents if I actually see them on their birthdays...I just generally don’t believe that presents are the best way to express love, and unless you buy someone something they need, it’s a bit of a waste of time and money. HOWEVER, they expect presents so, yes, it is normal

I'm a 20 years old undergraduate. It feels wrong to me that she expects presents from her child, at this age, especially given that after I've turned 18 hers haven't been particularly special (usually worth a couple of hundreds) and this is basically all she contributes to my finances.

Furthermore, it's unpleasant to give her presents because she is ungrateful and usually unsatisfied with my gifts. This is why I'd rather avoid it.

EDIT for judgemental haters: I have always bought relatively expensive gifts for my mother, only recently I had a feeling it was wrong for her to expect it given she doesn't help me with uni costs at all. I know I am privileged and I appreciate I have been lucky to be born in my family (it could have gone much better, but I had a 99% chance of being poorer).
Reply 111
Original post by uptownpunkk
Inheritance doesn't last forever.

As far as I can see, you literally only see your parents as monetary value.

Have you ever thought your mum might have contributed if she was asked, but your dad just took over and pays all of your allowance?

No one said you have to use your Trust Fund now. Man, I've had a Trust Fund of inheritance when I was 8 and aside from buying 1 car I haven't touched it since. Instead I have a part time job that keeps me relatively comfortable while I continue my studies. -- The Trust Fund is my security blanket for post-graduation. Because you know... not everyone is guaranteed a job straight away after uni, even if you think that's not the case.

I’m not planning to sell all my inheritance and squander the money, I was joking, I’ll work and conserve it for my descendants.

You decided to spend your money that way I preferred not to buy a car and to spend most of it for undergrad and masters. I’m sure I’ll get a good job.
Reply 112
Original post by Natell1983
You really are the epitome of a whiny, selfish manchild! Try having a Mother who was an alcoholic with severe bi-polar, in and out of hospital and multiple suicide attempts. So desperate and lonely and this made your childhood very difficult. Try having to support her and be the parent, try supporting yourself without ANY help from your parents from 16yrs old, Christmas or not. Try working from the age of 15 and living day to day deciding whether to feed the family pet you inherited, or yourself because you only have enough money to feed one of you. Christmas or not. But imagine that this Mother did her very best and you knew she loved you because you’re alive and they are there for you.

I'm not doing a **** job for the sake of it.
Be grateful you have a mum to buy presents for and who reciprocates this
Original post by jkls92

I do not think you are grateful at all. From responses you gave to the other users I think you live in lala land.

If you don't like the responses, don't ask the question. I judged you and I do not apologise for it. You asked a question and gave little to no additional information, we have no option but to make judgements.

If you want to be understood, give your honest perspective, and a little history. If your going to bash your mother and moan that she hasn't given you enough of this, or that ( I haven't once seen you complain about her lack of affection or complaints of emotional neglect, just monetary concerns) then expect judgements. If you want an in-depth answer that is tailored to your exact situation and experience then go spend some money and see a therapist.
Reply 115
This comment section is so entitled, just because your mother “gave you life” (really all she did was lay down and decided to have you) doesn’t mean that you have to buy her anything. You don’t even have to talk to her if you don’t want to, it sounds like you put yourself through college and everyone knows that college students are most likely struggling financially. Don’t feel guilty for not granting your mothers every whim, it sounds like she needs to grow up and be grateful she gets anything from her children.

Latest