Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm 4 months into my business admin apprenticeship. I love the people I work with, but the office environment isn't for me so I have found another job and will be doing a beauty course, which I've always wanted to do on the side. I'm going to my induction tomorrow after work, then the following day I'll be handing in my notice.
    I'm really scared to do this as it is my first job. I also have a two week notice period and I think my new workplace would like me to start sooner. Could someone please tell me if leaving an apprenticeship is the same as leaving a normal job? e.g. do I still have to hand in a letter and do my notice period, or if I get in contact with my college can I end my apprenticeship this way?

Thank you for any help !!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=phoebe acton;75961880]I'm 4 months into my business admin apprenticeship. I love the people I work with, but the office environment isn't for me so I have found another job and will be doing a beauty course, which I've always wanted to do on the side. I'm going to my induction tomorrow after work, then the following day I'll be handing in my notice.
    I'm really scared to do this as it is my first job. I also have a two week notice period and I think my new workplace would like me to start sooner. Could someone please tell me if leaving an apprenticeship is the same as leaving a normal job? e.g. do I still have to hand in a letter and do my notice period, or if I get in contact with my college can I end my apprenticeship this way?

Thank you for any help !![/QUOTE

Just write a short, dated, letter to your employer/manager saying that you are resigning and that although you have enjoyed working for them you see your future elsewhere. If you give it to your manager you can explain that your new employer is keen for you to start as soon as possible. In reality a lot of people don't work their notice as they are not committed to the job, and you might have holiday leave you can use to shorten the period.

Don't just walk away - you are perfectly entitled to leave but it is much better to do it "properly" not least because you can call on them for a reference later if you need to.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=marple;75962048]
    (Original post by phoebe acton)
    I'm 4 months into my business admin apprenticeship. I love the people I work with, but the office environment isn't for me so I have found another job and will be doing a beauty course, which I've always wanted to do on the side. I'm going to my induction tomorrow after work, then the following day I'll be handing in my notice.

Thank you for any help !![/QUOTE

Just write a short, dated, letter to your employer/manager saying that you are resigning and that although you have enjoyed working for them you see your future elsewhere. If you give it to your manager you can explain that your new employer is keen for you to start as soon as possible. In reality a lot of people don't work their notice as they are not committed to the job, and you might have holiday leave you can use to shorten the period.

Don't just walk away - you are perfectly entitled to leave but it is much better to do it "properly" not least because you can call on them for a reference later if you need to.
    Thank you so much! This really helped

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.