Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackjohnes990)
    What a stupid decision?! I hope you regret the decision when you and your girlfriend break up cause we all tried to help but you are too stupid to take our advice. When you don't get to cambridge in 4th year, i hope you girlfriend feels bad for the rest of her life cause she is the sole cause of it.
    Bit harsh :/, it his choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Unnecessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not really... just speaking the truth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaross00)
    Not really is choice, cause his girlfriend forced him
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Not really... just speaking the truth
    It's not a truth, it's entirely your judgement. OP has been given generally balanced advice, and has made an undoubtedly well-considered but difficult decision.

Wishing him and his girlfriend ill is unwarranted and out of order.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Not really is choice, cause his girlfriend forced him
    She told him to choose Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottsmith)
    In Scotland the government pays for tuition and you don't have pay them back. In England tuition is 9 grand, times that by 3, £27 (loan) grand. And accommodation is cheaper by a grand per year in Edinburgh,
    EDIT: Yeah, that's irrelevant I suppose. It would be cheaper but keep in mind that going to Cambridge after being elsewhere will be a pretty huge jump.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by AmmarTa)
    Problem with your calculations. Unless you've already lived in Scotland for 2+ years, they don't give free tuition.
    He's Scottish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    He's Scottish.
    My mistake, I'm really out of it today

ReputationRep:
    Might sound a bit harsh here - but personally I would take the Cambridge offer. Student loans are the best rate of any loan you'll get ever, and pretty much no one ends up paying them back - so cost shouldn't put you off from going there. At the end of the day, people will see you have a degree from Cambridge - they will not care in what or how, as long as you've passed it, unfortunately we live in a world where just having the uni name on your cv opens more doors. Not to say Edinburgh is a bad uni but doesn't have the 'name factor' that Oxbridge does. Additionally, don't make this decision based on your girlfriend - maybe you'll do the long distance amazingly and you'll get married or whatevs and have some kids happy ever after... but maybe you'll be like most of the people i know who drifted apart as they matured and you don't want to regret / resent for not taking the opportunity.

You've already gotten in. That was a huge achievement. Go for it. they are more likely to accept one of their own onto their masters courses as they'll know you and know your work ethic etc. In a job interview if theres one guy thats internal to the company, one thats new - same qualifications - they're gonna pick the one that knows the system already, who they know is on board with the style etc that fits them better.

If you and your gf are meant to be she'll understand - if not, then you've saved yourself a lot of future problems - anyone who gets P'''y at you when you are achieving and doing well isn't someone worth having in your life - they should want you to take all the opportunities and do well.

(Im a girl before everyone starts saying ugh omg guys always say ditch the girlfriend - Im not saying that, I'm saying long distance can work if you are prepared to work for it - just don't ditch such an achievement just because your gf held herself back a year - regardless of her reasons, and I doubt you were the only reason she stayed back a year.)

speaking as someone who has done both BA and Bsc degrees, a lot of life experience (I'm a heck of a lot older than most on here!) and having studied at a redbrick uni and a more vocational uni - you have to do what works for you at the end of the day - the fact you've messaged on here suggests you want to take the Cambridge offer but are afraid of upsetting your gf... talk to her and explain how this is a once in a lifetime opp (which it is!)

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 723598

Thanks for everyone's help. I will keep you guys updated yearly on my situation if you guys want
    OK, now I'm a bit curious. In post #8 of this thread, waayyyy back on page 1, you stated that you had an offer from Edinburgh for second year entry. So why are you accepting on offer for first year entry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    OK, now I'm a bit curious. In post #8 of this thread, waayyyy back on page 1, you stated that you had an offer from Edinburgh for second year entry. So why are you accepting on offer for first year entry?
    I original applied through UCAS for first year entry, then emailed them asking if i can go to second year. They said if you achieve the necessary grade, then during academic advising they will change me to 2nd year.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by emmaross00)
    I agree, it is entirely his own decision and it does not hurt anyone. It's a personal life choice that has taken a lot of time to decide with multiple factors involved (most of which, as outsiders, we are not privy to). I respect the OP's choice to do what is right for him (which in this case is going to Edinburgh).

It takes a lot of courage to do what is right for you even when others are telling you not to, and that is admirable. Plus, even if it were hypothetically a bad decision (which it isn't - Edinburgh is great), it would not have any significant impact on eg employment prospects or career, as a bright maths grad from Edinburgh will have plenty of opportunities. :yep:

And as Doonesbury noted, it is not kind to personally wish ill on the OP or his girlfriend. It adds nothing to the conversation and reflects on the responder more than anything for being cruel and without tact. I do not know if I am alone in this, but the thread could do with more positivity - after all, I'm sure some of us are looking forward to hear what happens to the OP and his experiences in Edinburgh.

tl;dr live and let live

ReputationRep:
    If you decline the offer, I will personally go to your house and slap you so hard that you will forget that you even have a gf.

ReputationRep:
    I original applied through UCAS for first year entry, then emailed them asking if i can go to second year. They said if you achieve the necessary grade, then during academic advising they will change me to 2nd year.
    What's 'academic advising'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by RenéDescartes)
    If you decline the offer, I will personally go to your house and slap you so hard that you will forget that you even have a gf.
    I guess you will have to follow through with that promise now

ReputationRep:
    DONT DECLINE YOUR OFFER YOU MAY NOT GET IN THE NEXT TIME ROUND. I applied to Kings College London back in 2017-2018 and I got accepted for a foundation course but I decided to wait another year to apply to direct entry medicine and they rejected me. I know its not the same circumstance with you but anyone would kill to get into Cambridge. I am sure your girlfriend will understand.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think the recent people replying may not have seen the above: he chose Edinburgh (see the UCAS screenshot of the firmly accepted offer). Any "you should choose Cam" is too late at this point anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I been offered a place to study a 4 year Maths in Cambridge. However i just found out that the Masters i want to do you have to apply again after 3 years of the current course.

So i am planning on going to Edinburgh Uni, do my bachelors then apply for master's in Cambridge. Thereby saving more than £36,000. Is that a responsible choice.
    An Oxford postgrad in Maths is more prestigious ... fantastic building to work in too.

ReputationRep:
    I been offered a place to study a 4 year Maths in Cambridge. However i just found out that the Masters i want to do you have to apply again after 3 years of the current course.

So i am planning on going to Edinburgh Uni, do my bachelors then apply for master's in Cambridge. Thereby saving more than £36,000. Is that a responsible choice.
    You shouldn’t feel like you’re betraying your girlfriend. No one told her to take a gap year, you just agreed to the idea. Don’t allow such opportunities to escape your hands. Sure you plan to go to Cambridge at the third year for your masters but you may get rejected, have you thought of that. Your girlfriend shouldn’t be the reason for you to go to a specific university, look at the reasons why you’re going there, if they surround your girlfriend, then it’s not a good idea. If you pick Cambridge, then your girlfriend will understand, if she doesn’t , then you guys aren’t meant for each other. Don’t risk going to the same university; you may end up drifting apart. Also, how about employability? You’re more likely to receive a job if you went to Cambridge than Edinburgh, hence a greater chance of you becoming a research mathematician, or anything else that isn’t related to maths. I will assume that you and your girlfriend aren’t both studying maths, so you wouldn’t see much of each other in university, due to work etc. So think about your options and YOUR future, not OUR future.

ReputationRep:
    The assumptions that Cambridge will make you more employable is funny when the employability stats actually show Edinburgh to have the ever so slightly higher graduate employment rates than Cambridge.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.