Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    The assumptions that Cambridge will make you more employable is funny when the employability stats actually show Edinburgh to have the ever so slightly higher graduate employment rates than Cambridge.
    It’s general employability, not just graduate employability. If you want to work internationally, you would be recognised for going to Cambridge , not Edinburgh, since Cambridge is in the top 10 of the world’s best universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatheO11)
    It’s general employability, not just graduate employability. If you want to work internationally, you would be recognised for going to Cambridge , not Edinburgh, since Cambridge is in the top 10 of the world’s best universities.
    You would be recognised internationally if you went to Edinburgh. Reputation of an institution does not equate to employability.

Even if it did, out of the thousands of universities across the world, Edinburgh is less than 20 places below Cambridge in global rankings. There is not a big gulf of difference in terms of reputation.

ReputationRep:
    There is a sense of flogging a dead horse here, but I would say that if there's any subject for which the Cambridge halo shines significantly brightly, it would be Maths.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    scottsmith I'm slightly confused.

Perhaps you can clarify why you say you applied to Cambridge when you already have a place at Glasgow?
    As per your thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5140230

Keeping in mind when you reply that Cambridge is well known for not accepting applications from students already attending a UK university.

Edit: Oh, it also means your early comment...
    (Original post by username3715802)
    I am a Scottish student living in Glasgow. I already got a second year offer from Edinburgh.
    ...now makes much more sense. But why post an apparent screenshot of a First Year entry offer from Edinburgh when you already hold a 2nd Year entry offer?

Unless of course you where just having a bit of fun with the good people of TSR...

:holmes:

PS. I note you have now closed your account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doonesbury)
    scottsmith i'm slightly confused.

Perhaps you can clarify why you applied to cambridge when you already have a place at glasgow?

keeping in mind when you reply that cambridge is well known for not accepting applications from students already attending a uk university.

-------------------- the end -----------------------------
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    scottsmith I'm slightly confused.

Perhaps you can clarify why you say you applied to Cambridge when you already have a place at Glasgow?

Keeping in mind when you reply that Cambridge is well known for not accepting applications from students already attending a UK university.

Edit: Oh, it also means your early comment...

...now makes much more sense. But why post an apparent screenshot of a First Year entry offer from Edinburgh when you already hold a 2nd Year entry offer?

Unless of course you where just having a bit of fun with the good people of TSR...

PS. I note you have now closed your account.
    Damn trolls! They put so much effort :lol:

Was thinking that there would finally be an interesting example of someone rejecting Cambridge on TSR not for monetary reasons (eg postgrad applicants) but alas. xD

(Which is not to say that people should reject Cam - they shouldn't if it's right for them, it's just pretty rare and interesting to see as almost no one does this)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Doonesbury saving the day once again, I see.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    Doonesbury saving the day once again, I see.
    Expert sleuthing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aviiii)
    There was a reason you applied to Cam in the first place. If money is a real worry, apply for any relevant bursaries/scholarships your situation allows you to. (You will probably get a good enough salary upon graduation to pay back any fees anyway)

Dont be so sure you'll be able to get a 1st from Edin or that Cam will even accept you for their masters. An element of luck comes into play when getting accepted to Oxbridge (you are obviously v bright & work hard, I'm not disputing - but there are a lot of other people who are that too and who dont get into Oxbridge)

If your gf can't handle you moving to Cam and sees it as some sort of betrayal, then it'll be for the best, because if either one of you resents the other's decision when it comes to personal development, than one of you is holding the other back.

To me it seems like a no-brainer. You clearly seem to see Cam as more prestigious as Edin, else you would stay at Edin for a Masters too. Stick with Cam, smash that degree - your gf will want what's best for YOU and ultimately, that'll impact your relationship positively.

Shorter terms at Cam = longer holidays to visit each other
    Different unis = chance to see 2 different cities
    Oxbridge on the CV = a multitude of doors open to you and exposure to things most of us would never get at a good university

If none of this convinces you. Ask yourself why you applied to Cam in the first place?

Relationships should never affect decisions like this - unless you have a child involved I would do what is best for yourself & the rest will fit into place.
    18/19 is an awfully young age to weld yourself to another person so indefinitely, at a great risk to your own career & professional development.

This is my opinion. Any time I've made a decision, i've done so without my current relationship in mind, and I've never regretted it because I've ultimately benefitted so even if that relationship doesn't work out, I'm exactly where I wanted to be.
    Read the last few posts...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Read the last few posts...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And the footnote on the OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    And the footnote on the OP
    Are people blind???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Are people blind???

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I deleted the post within a minute of posting as I realised... Think you replied within seconds of me posting....

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.