Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    So that's what cost per year? £4k?
    And how much is rent in Edinburgh? £6K?

Don't forget you have short terms in Cambridge, so you only pay a 30 week contract (for *all* 4 years), whereas Edinburgh will be a 52 week contract after year 1 (i.e. in private rented accomodation)

And do you qualify for the Cambridge Bursary?
    ohhh ok, that would mean the rent in edinburgh and cambridge would be the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black1blade)
    Also yeah with cambridge they generally let people in with a 2.1 in their maths course but you need a first from any other uni I'm p sure.
    I think for mathmos you need a strong 2.1 or a first to carry on for a fourth year cos the maths part III is supposedly super hard
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by scottsmith)
    ohhh ok, that would mean the rent in edinburgh and cambridge would be the same
    Would they?

According to this Edinburgh is £4.7k to £9.3k for rent.
    https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/intern...cost-of-living

ReputationRep:
    So that's what cost per year? £4k?
    And how much is rent in Edinburgh? £6K?

Don't forget you have short terms in Cambridge, so you only pay a 30 week contract (for *all* 4 years), whereas Edinburgh will be a 52 week contract after year 1 (i.e. in private rented accomodation)

And do you qualify for the Cambridge Bursary?
    i dont unfortunately cause i live with my parents, even tho i don't receive money from them (my choice)

ReputationRep:
    Would they?

According to this Edinburgh is £4.7k to £9.3k for rent.
    https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/intern...cost-of-living

my friend lives in edinburgh now and he pays 4k for an ensuite. Btw thanks for helping me.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    my friend lives in edinburgh now and he pays 4k for an ensuite. Btw thanks for helping me.
    Ah fair enough. And no problem

i dont unfortunately cause i live with my parents, even tho i don't receive money from them (my choice)
    And your household income is > £42k?

For the avoidance of doubt I have literally no issue with you deciding to reject Cambridge for Edinburgh but only if it's for the right reasons.

And the only really good reason is if you consider the Edinburgh course is better for you. Not cheaper (it's not real money - it's basically a graduate tax - cost must NOT be the factor in this). Not more convenient for your gf (LDRs are a thing, and terms at Cambridge are short - you'll be back in Scotland in no time). Not because it's easier or whatever.

Is it academically better, for you?

And Edinburgh is a great university, no doubt. I know people who've had a fantastic time there.

I also know people who've had a fantastic time at Cambridge. Of course the collegiate and supervision systems are key points of difference, nevermind Maths being the "blue riband" course at Cambridge.

Anyway, you have lots of food for thought. When you finally make the decision (if you haven't already ) then embrace it. No regrets. No looking back thinking what if.

Nec temere, nec timide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    I rejected Cambridge and I can honeslty say I've not regretted that decision at all. However, my reasons were considerably different.That's not a good reason to base decisions on.

If correct, this is a good reason to base decisions on.

Trust Doonesbury, he's a good egg.
    Hey btw, what was your parents reaction when you told them your choice
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Me and girlfriend have been together for 3 years and she (being older than me by a year) took a gap year so we can go to the same uni. If i got to Cambridge i am pretty sure she will understand...
    Would she though? She literally took a year out of her life to enable going to uni together. What's more, going to separate unis, especially if far away, does tend to be terminal for even longstanding, solid relationships. I know you don't believe me now but it happens a LOT.

Then again, you are presumably 18/19, so even 3 years down the line this is unlikely your last relationship. So maybe this is less important.

About my first foray into relationship advice ever.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Possibly last too.

Do they actually though, or are they rounding down/excluding bills etc? Because loads of people do that. Or maybe he's living in a big house-share that you will find difficult to organise when you get there? Or possibly its that he is living a fair bit out of town, adding commute costs?

I'd be quite surprised if Cambridge is not significantly cheaper than Edinburgh. Edinburgh's ****ing expensive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Would she though? She literally took a year out of her life to enable going to uni together. What's more, going to separate unis, especially if far away, does tend to be terminal for even longstanding, solid relationships. I know you don't believe me now but it happens a LOT.

Then again, you are presumably 18/19, so even 3 years down the line this is unlikely your last relationship. So maybe this is less important.

About my first foray into relationship advice ever.

Spoiler:
    Show

Possibly last too.

Do they actually though, or are they rounding down/excluding bills etc? Because loads of people do that. Or maybe he's living in a big house-share that you will find difficult to organise when you get there? Or possibly its that he is living a fair bit out of town, adding commute costs?

I'd be quite surprised if Cambridge is not significantly cheaper than Edinburgh. Edinburgh's ****ing expensive!
    Excluding housing, via tuition fees i will save like £27k.

Also relationship wise you are saying if i go to Cambridge its f***ed

ReputationRep:
    If you move Cambridge your relationship will end because she was willing to give up a year of her life for you but you won't do the same. Pretty sure she won't be able to trust you with anything after that.

On the other hand you should not really give up your education for a teenage crush. So dk either way you are screwed

ReputationRep:
    tbh you shouldn't have asked her to take a year of her studies, pretty stupid of her to agree as well. Most relationship (99.999%) at teenage years won't last very much long
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Hey btw, what was your parents reaction when you told them your choice
    They were always very supportive and were there when I first had doubts.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Excluding housing, via tuition fees i will save like £27k.
    The tuition fee loan is not a standard loan. Don't factor it into this decision.

But you also need to consider how you are paying for the 4th year, including rent etc. If you go to Cambridge and stay for Part III it is covered by SAAS including rent, if not then only £10k max is covered (this is enough for tuition), but you will need to pay for rent etc out of savings.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They consider GCSES, but not that much. At my college (near Cambridge) a speaker came in from the university and said 'Although we look at GCSE grades, I've seen and accepted plenty of students with mediocre GCSE results (Ranging from A* to a high C) who have then gone on to fantastic A-Levels and I simply ask them what their reasoning might be for their GCSE grades lowering, and most of the time it is fine.

ReputationRep:
    The tuition fee loan is not a standard loan. Don't factor it into this decision.

But you also need to consider how you are paying for the 4th year, including rent etc. If you go to Cambridge and stay for Part III it is covered by SAAS including rent, if not then only £10k max is covered (this is enough for tuition), but you will need to pay for rent etc out of savings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't really like the idea of being in debt, Also currently i make about 12K annually, i think i can pay for everything going to uni in Edinburgh and masters in Cambridge without talking a student loan

ReputationRep:
    I don't really like the idea of being in debt, Also currently i make about 12K annually, i think i can pay for everything going to uni in Edinburgh and masters in Cambridge without talking a student loan
    12k???? where do you even work

Spoiler:
    Show

Hit me up, when you and your girlfriend break up
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    As I said, it's not really debt. If this was a genuine issue why apply to English universities at all?

And why only raise it now when you noticed the Part III progression "problem" (which isn't really a problem either).

ReputationRep:
    As I said, it's not really debt. If this was a genuine issue why apply to English universities at all?

And why only raise it now when you noticed the Part III progression "problem" (which isn't really a problem either).
    I always wanted to do the Part III masters, i applied for the bachelors to mainly see if i was 'smart' enough for the course in Cambridge and if reaching that goal was impossible and should change it. Now that i got in i know that i can just apply for the master's cause i am 'smart' enough.

Also when i saw that progression wasn't 100% certain, i concluded that going to Edinburgh would be better choice
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I always wanted to do the Part III masters, i applied for the bachelors to mainly see if i was 'smart' enough for the course in Cambridge and if reaching that goal was impossible and should change it. Now that i got in i know that i can just apply for the master's cause i am 'smart' enough.

Also when i saw that progression wasn't 100% certain, i concluded that going to Edinburgh would be better choice
    Ok, however:

It is 100% certain if you have a First at Cambridge.

It's not 100% certain from Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    Me and girlfriend have been together for 3 years and she (being older than me by a year) took a gap year so we can go to the same uni. If i got to Cambridge i am pretty sure she will understand, but it would feel like i betrayed her...

in terms of career prospects, i am planning on doing my masters there, so either path i choose i will still have a masters degree from Cambridge.
    It would be much harder to get in for the masters

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.