Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should i decline my offer from Cambridge? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Ok, however:

It is 100% certain if you have a First at Cambridge.

It's not 100% certain from Edinburgh.
    So we just going to forget about his girlfriend, who wasted a year of her life :/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm gonna try not to re-hash too much what others have said

Things you have to consider:

1. Tuition is ONLY paid back once you start earning over 21000 a year. This is paid incrementally, so not to be excessive (it's relative to how much you earn unlike eg the US). Not to be depressing, but a significant number of graduates do not pay back their student loan in full. Until you start earning this amount, it is not wasted money, and if you don't earn over this threshold by age 30 (a factor you can't predict) it is cleared.

2. Provided you gain a first (which isn't easy, but by no means impossible) you are guaranteed entry into part III, with tuition covered and a maintenance loan from SFE. This compares with Edinburgh, whose success rate for entry on the course is 60%. Also, consider that living costs are not covered by the postgraduate loan so you would have to self-fund these (and although you are earning now, you may not be earning later).

3. It is a show of great loyalty that your girlfriend was willing to give up a year to spend with you. However, you cannot put a relationship in front of your life choices. The person should be there to support you (because you are the only person who can live your life happily), and if they cannot then that is not the end of the world. I do not want to be skeptical but young love is often fleeting, and you may find that you have a whole life to discover relationships and "the one".

One very good reason to reject the course is because the course is 'not for you'. The organisation of modules, the college structure or tutorial system, your method of working (whether you would be able to work in the environment*) etc. If you have reasonable belief to think that you would be unhappy doing the course and would be happier at Edinburgh, do take that decision and do not get blind sighted by the prestige.

There isn't an easy conclusion. It's up to you. :yep: We can only counsel, based on evidence and statistics - but a statistic is just that. We only have a tiny snapshot of your personal life. But best of luck with the decision, whatever you decide

Spoiler:
    Show
    *i put this because i know of at least three people who have struggled at oxford due to mental health issues, two of which involving suicide attempts. whilst this is not the norm by any stretch, it is a very intense system and although there is a lot of support and many do very well whilst being disabled or having a mental illness, only an individual knows their mental health or capacity best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottsmith)
    Got a offer from Cambridge to study Masters in Maths. However i found out that to study the masters course that i want (Part III of the Mathematical Tripos) i have to apply again at 3rd year. If i don't get in i would do the general masters course for maths.

I also got a offer from Edinburgh uni to study Maths, so i am planning on going to Edinburgh do a bachelors course there and then apply for a masters course in Cambridge (Part III of the Mathematical Tripos).
    What general masters course for maths? There isn’t such a thing at Cambridge, it’s just Part III (which is awarded a MASt / MMath depending on whether you’re an external / Cambridge undergrad respectively.

Edinburgh is a good uni, but there are a few things you need to bear in mind:

- you won’t get automatic funding for your masters if you’ve done an undergrad elsewhere

- the pace at Cambridge is fast. So fast that some external students do the masters year elsewhere and still find it a big jump to Part III.

- if you’re at all interested in theoretical physics then you’re not going to get the same breadth other than at Cambridge

- Cambridge being Cambridge, there are some quirks in terms of what the undergrad covers. Even if you are at a Part III level, you might have to do some extra reading as you won’t cover some stuff in your degree.

People obviously have done what you’re suggesting, and done well, but it’s not as easy as you might think it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Ok, however:

It is 100% certain if you have a First at Cambridge.

It's not 100% certain from Edinburgh.
    It's surely harder to get a first in Maths at Cambridge than Edinburgh, though... ? (The percentage of people getting each grade is on its own irrelevant, you need to consider the difference in average ability too.)

ReputationRep:
    Part III is renowned as one of the most competitive courses offered anywhere on the planet. It's extremely difficult to get in as a postgrad from another uni - simply put, the standard of maths taught at many other institutions isn't high enough to compete with Cambridge undergrads who want to stay for Part III.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Forecast)
    It's surely harder to get a first in Maths at Cambridge than Edinburgh, though... ? (The percentage of people getting each grade is on its own irrelevant, you need to consider the difference in average ability too.)
    Perhaps, but a First from Edinburgh doesn't guarantee an offer for MASt, whereas from Cambridge a First = a Part III place if you want it. And the Tripos would also likely be better prepartion (as per shamika's post above), which is why they will accept a Cambridge 2:1 on occasion.

Interestingly the Firsts rate for Maths at Edinburgh is *very* high (according to this it's 64%), versus about 33% at Cambridge. Perhaps that's why by no means all Edinburgh applicants are accepted to MASt.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Parliament)
    afaik this isn't actually true - I know someone who had a high first in Parts I and II and was still rejected for Part III last year
    According to this it is guaranteed:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...0&postcount=39
    "Part III admissions decisions for continuing Part III students are made by the Faculty Board by a process outlined at the bottom of this page. The effect of this process is as follows. Permission is automatic if you obtain a First in Part II Mathematics. If you do not obtain a First in Part II Mathematics you may ask the college to apply on your behalf for permission to continue. The committee set up to make decisions will consider your past examination performance, the recommendation from your College, your own letter and any other relevant material to decide if you 'are more likely than not to get at least a Merit in Part III of the Mathematical Tripos'."
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Tl;dr. scottsmith - the only way to guarantee a place on MMath Part III / MASt is by doing BA Maths at Cambridge not Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, thanks for all your advice. I am going to decline my offer from Cambridge, the main reason (even tho many people would think its stupid), is because i made the promise to the girl that we would go to Edinburgh together. If i go to Cambridge i am 100% sure i will have that guilty consciousness of betraying her for the rest of my life. Even if i don't get into Cambridge for the masters i will be happy knowing that i wasn't c**t and didnt hurt anyone.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Hey guys, thanks for all your advice. I am going to decline my offer from Cambridge, the main reason (even tho many people would think its stupid), is because i made the promise to the girl that we would go to Edinburgh together. If i go to Cambridge i am 100% sure i will have that guilty consciousness of betraying her for the rest of my life. Even if i don't get into Cambridge for the masters i will be happy knowing that i wasn't c**t and didnt hurt anyone.
    Fair play

As I said earlier: Nec temere, nec timide

ReputationRep:
    2 things:

- I'm presuming you didn't beg your girlfriend to wait for you and take a year out. It was therefore her decision and she must have known there would be a risk you either might not get accepted to Edinburgh or would get an offer you preferred elsewhere. She's a grown up and if it's true love it won't matter where you are. You're actually being very passive aggressive towards her and putting the 'guilt' on to her - so in your head it's her fault you can't go to Cambridge. I get the feeling you're turning down Cambridge so you can hold it over her should she ever want to leave you!

- I feel really sorry for everyone who's wasted their time trying to help you out on here. You'd clearly already made up your mind and should have posted 'I'm declining my offer at Cambridge'.

ReputationRep:
    Part III maths is one of the most competitive courses in the world. However as an example, Dr. Alex Graves who now works at google in their machine learning department got a first in Theoretical Physics at the University of Edinburgh and then did part iii at Cambridge (and later a PhD at ISDIA).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EY1001)
    2 things:

- I'm presuming you didn't beg your girlfriend to wait for you and take a year out. It was therefore her decision and she must have known there would be a risk you either might not get accepted to Edinburgh or would get an offer you preferred elsewhere. She's a grown up and if it's true love it won't matter where you are. You're actually being very passive aggressive towards her and putting the 'guilt' on to her - so in your head it's her fault you can't go to Cambridge. I get the feeling you're turning down Cambridge so you can hold it over her should she ever want to leave you!

- I feel really sorry for everyone who's wasted their time trying to help you out on here. You'd clearly already made up your mind and should have posted 'I'm declining my offer at Cambridge'.
    I would never hold it over her, i fully know that the any consequences of the decisions, both good and bad, will be mine.

Also the reason i asked the TSR is because i was fully confident is decisions however when the teachers and friends started questioning in it i became less confident with the choice. So i thought if i ask the people on TSR to find faults in decisions, then either i will change it or it will reinforce my confident in my decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pierrik)
    Part III maths is one of the most competitive courses in the world. However as an example, Dr. Alex Graves who now works at google in their machine learning department got a first in Theoretical Physics at the University of Edinburgh and then did part iii at Cambridge (and later a PhD at ISDIA).
    I just googled him, do you have any more information about him expect the ones on crunchbase

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EY1001)
    2 things:

why is everyone against young love? i think its nice of him to sacrifice something for his girlfriend

ReputationRep:
    I would never hold it over her, i fully know that the any consequences of the decisions, both good and bad, will be mine.

Also the reason i asked the TSR is because i was fully confident is decisions however when the teachers and friends started questioning in it i became less confident with the choice. So i thought if i ask the people on TSR to find faults in decisions, then either i will change it or it will reinforce my confident in my decision.
    Don't listen to them, what you are doing is sweet and nice, your girlfriend is lucky to have you. Also even if you break up ( hopefully not) you can take comfort in knowing that you done something good.

ReputationRep:
    Not to be negative, but remember that there is a chance that your relationship won't work out during university.

My sister's friend did the exact same thing that you want to do, and she ended up splitting with her boyfriend in 1st year. She had an offer to study at Imperial but chose Birmingham for the sole reason that her boyfriend was going there. She now regrets this decision massively and will continue to do so forever.

I'm not saying you should choose Cambridge just because, but you need to think about what might happen in the future and how you will reflect on this decision when you're older.

Just remember that it's your choice and your life, nobody else's

ReputationRep:
    I just googled him, do you have any more information about him expect the ones on crunchbase
    I attended one of his talks this December at my uni (studying mathematics and computer science at the University of Exeter). This is a short bio provided by the event:

Bio: Dr Alex Graves completed a BSc in Theoretical Physics at the University of Edinburgh, Part III Maths at the University of Cambridge and a PhD in artificial intelligence at IDSIA with Jürgen Schmidhuber, followed by postdocs at the Technical University of Munich and with Geoff Hinton at the University of Toronto. He is now a research scientist at DeepMind. His contributions include the Connectionist Temporal Classification algorithm for sequence labelling (widely used for commercial speech and handwriting recognition), stochastic gradient variational inference, and the Neural Turing Machine / Differentiable Neural Computer architectures.

Also another side note, I don't doubt you are an excellent student. However, wanting to do part iii myself after I finish my Bsc (i'm in first year) I did some research on linkedin on people who are currently studying part iii.

These students don't just have first class honors but go far beyond that, proving to be the very top of the top... I would definitely keep this in mind when making your decisions.

Lastly, speaking from experience, uni and its freedoms really change people. The dynamic of your relationship may unexpectedly change, even for very long term relationships like yours.

congrats on both offers thought!

ReputationRep:
    Also I'm not sure about your career path you have in mind, but part iii is almost entirely for students looking to do a PhD. Cambridge has even said that students taking this course as just a final year in their education are likely to find it too difficult and technical...

With this in mind, if you are not interested in becoming a future Phd student and still want to have the title of being a Cambridge graduate, I would advise studying your M.A there..

ReputationRep:
    Go to Cambridge
    Only go to Edinburgh if you prefer the course not because of your girlfriend

Forget about the money

As relationships don’t tend to last
    If you sacrificed Cambridge just for your girlfriend you will regret it

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.